Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Help me ID the year of my new hot rod? K1 International.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nick_R_23, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

So, I recently had this truck given to me by my grandfather. I've done a bit of research, but info on these trucks is unsurprisingly few and far between. It's a 1941-1946 K1 pickup, but I haven't found any information on how to identify the year, or where any serial numbers or tags are located. The body is in overall good shape, front fenders have a bit of damage, but nothing that can't be repaired. Tailgate is missing but it's otherwise complete. Not much visible rust on this one either, although I'm sure I'll find some the more I dive into it. My plan is to swap the chassis over to a lengthened 1996 Ford Explorer 2WD chassis, for modern brakes, steering, and suspension, not to mention durability, parts availability, and ability to actually use it as a pickup. I haven't decided on what powertrain to use with it yet...although I did get a Ford flathead 3x2 intake and carbs with the truck, and I do know of a few flathead engines I could inquire about, which would make for an interesting swap. :D

Anyways, here's the beast...maybe I should've posted in the 'building hot rods from garbage' thread first!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is there any definitive way to determine the year of this truck?

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

There is a thread on here about a similar build, but the frame swap ain't the only way to go.

You can try the search function.
    But you can make an old frame handle a lot better with modern parts if you got the skill set to back it up.

I like those binders and the are good work trucks.

3. 2racer

2racer

4. Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

That's true, but better handling isn't my only goal. I want to be able to haul loads and tow a trailer, something I feel is past the limitations of the stock frame, especially with a modern engine. With the frame I have to use for the swap, I gain 4 wheel disc brakes, rack and pinion steering, independent front suspension, stronger 8.8 rear axle with modern gears, limited slip, traction and panhard bars, front and rear sway bars, and of course better handling, stopping, and load carrying. This is all on a factory frame, and will allow me to keep the original look of the truck but make it useful again. I agree frame swaps aren't always a given, but for my end goals I think it makes sense for me. Of course, I'm not one to toss things either, so the original frame will stay around.

Thanks for that link. I went on the Wisconsen Historical website and found my serial number on the frame, which was simply '12383'. According to their serial number record sheets, this would make the truck a 1941. The plate on the kick panel area is too beat up to read most of it, but I will try and salvage what info I can from it. Anyone care to verify my 1941 model year?

5. studeynut

studeynut

According to my truck spotters guide the 41-46 bodies are identical. I think the id plate is the only thing to tell for sure. If the plates are gone, make it the year you want.

6. TLDLTD

TLDLTD

Post it up on oldihc.org they will verify for you. If that's a factory back bumper it is very hard to find. Nice looking cornbinder!

7. There are a few threads getting closed and deleted lately when mentioning that type of frame swap. If you are going to do it, its best to keep that part of the build to yourself or risk getting closed.