Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Disappointed first post

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by John Gizzi, Oct 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Gizzi

John Gizzi

I was disappointed to logon today only to find my post (shade tree Diamond T)removed for the second time. Trying to understand why , I revisited the two postings from the H.A.M.B. That inspired my build. I'm now more confused than ever.
    One is found here
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1948-diamond-t-pickup-tow-truck-project-journal.540260/

This build has nearly the same engine and trans package as mine and a crossmember from a
    '93 Chevy van.also a custom pickup bed.

The other is found here
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/47-diamond-t-semi-to-pickup-project-progress.376952/

This build has
    "the frame is '52 chevy 1 ton. front crossmember is '87 chevy 1/2 ton which is a bolt on, other than being narrowed 1.5". 3" dropped spindles, PS, PB, '88 350, edelbrock intake and carb, headers, 700R4, '88suburban rear end )
    Again, heavy frame mods and " non traditional" power trains and custom bed.
    So, not looking for a fight but why is my build not fit for posting?
    Disappointing to say the least.

2. Sounds like a little too much modern stuff involved. Sometimes it is how the build is presented. For example on my GMC I will not focus real heavy on my Industrial Chassis Dakota crossmember kit.

3. 117harv

117harv

gwhite and Hudson52sam like this.
  4. I didn't see it but it must have gone against the rules for some reason or the moderators would not have ash canned it. Contact them in the Q&A section to see if they could steer you in the right direction.

5. I believe when Ryan revamped the Hamb last year he stated that it was time to refocus on traditional hot rods and customs and threads that would have been OK in the past would not fly now.

I enjoyed your thread but I don't make policy.

You might try posting your build on dogfight,there is a little bit of everything posted there.HRP

6. I looked at the other two threads and the three of them combined are very similar. I'm curious myself. Tim

7. John Gizzi

John Gizzi

Yes, several times. I didn't think I was " focusing "on my drivetrain- just mentioning it as part of the build.

8. John Gizzi

John Gizzi

Well a revamp of the rules would explain it- thx

9. 117harv

117harv

Out of the rules sticky that is what you came away with? Your Diamond T is neither a traditional hotrod or custom. Is it cool, yes, are there similar type threads here, yes...however. Ryan has tightened the reins in the last couple years, and I like that as it's much more focused and on topic. Lots of stuff/builds that slid by in the past are no longer acceptable, yes there are some OT threads/topics that are still here, but as the rules state, a few sidebar things that the staff like get a pass.

I do all kinds of fab/builds that don't fit within the scope of the HAMB, so I don't post them here. Are they less worthy, no. You can build your truck, enjoy putting it together and driving it without posting it on a forum. If you feel that that is an important part of the build, that's great, I'm sure there is a forum where it would fly, the interweb has a forum for everything and anything under the sun. You are new and as you put it things aren't going well, don't be discouraged, even if your build doesn't fit in, there is a wealth of info here as well as some great people. :)

gwhite, falcongeorge and volvobrynk like this.
  10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I think it would help those of us contemplating a new build thread, if we knew what specifically caused this post to be removed. I read the rules. It's open to interpretation what is and is not acceptable. I know my Vega would not be proper here. But I'm not sure about my Austin with a Hight front end and a 2.8 Ford V6.

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. It probably was the use of a complete late model frame. I liked the build, but is very off topic for this forum.

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Did you seriously look at the "traditional custom" guidelines? did you see the pictures of the kind of vehicles Ryan wants to see posted there? Yes I am the one that deleted it this time (it was reported as off topic several times) . for one it is a modern drivetrain build that does not fit in here anywhere and a Diamond T truck does not resemble a traditional custom

13. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Not to throw gas on the fire her, but given that a moderator can move stuff around on the hamb, and dogfight is related to the hamb, would it be possible next time that someone does something that is interesting and not HAMB-friendly, can get 24 hours in the penalty box.

Meaning you move it to the Dogfight, lock the thread, also put up a link and wait 24 hours before deleting the thread, so that us that like it can follow him to the dark site before common back.

I know this may be some extra work, but it might save some time in the sense that you won't need to delete it twice.

And ad small line in the last post, like this ain't a hot rod, this ain't a custom nor custom truck, this well build non-hot-rid [bold/]truck[/bold] belongs somewhere else, despite being well thought out, era perfect and good material for a Hot Rod related build.

Just my .2 cents.

That will also drop the count of threads like: why did I get deleted?
    I know I made one, and I see now why I was wrong and that it ain't a vendetta against the OP.

tb33anda3rd and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Dogfight? What is this?

15. John Gizzi

John Gizzi

Yes when I read"Posts pertaining to traditionally inspired, but not quite period perfect belong on the main forum found here-"
    With the examples given I believed I was staying within the rules.
    As I stated a " tightening of the rules" would explain it. Although an explination would have been appreciated

16. How about a simple explanation from a MOd to the NEWBIE at the time of action? We wouldn't have threads like this if so. I think this would be very thoughtful. Tim

David Gersic and volvobrynk like this.
  17. As I said earlier,Dogfight has a lot of interesting cars & trucks that would be deemed unexceptionable here but I believe your build would fit in fine on that site,the builds there are wide and varied.

This is not to say that you should check in here every now and then,you might decide to build something traditional in the future. HRP

18. Now,what I don't like about Dogfight is whenever I have posted on DF I have to wait to be approved by a moderator or administrator...probably why I seldom go there.

To me it smacks of censorship. HRP

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
    Blue One and Hnstray like this.
  19. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The trouble was that your post was under "traditional customs" not the main board,

20. 2racer

2racer

Why not move it to the main board and send the dude a note saying "this belongs on the main board" seems like it would avoid all this confusion and discussion?

21. belair

belair

If you don't get a thread killed by mod once in awhile, you're not trying.

22. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

I've seen threads on here that would have been booted out in the past. A good example is a couple of threads about reality shows. Once upon a time, posting threads about reality shows was taboo. Times, they are a'changing.

23. You got that right,I have had my hand slapped many times! :D HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  24. John Gizzi

John Gizzi

Thank you for the response. Just for the record- I sent an e-mail expressing my concern that I may have posted in the wrong place as was pointed out by a couple of members .
    The second time I posted Was on the Honkey Ass Message Board under projects.
    I have no desire for this to become an issue. I enjoy coming here and following in others work and skills. If my project is not welcome here so be it. No hard feelings- I was just looking for an explination .thx

catdad49 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. 2racer

2racer

you spelt hokey rong

catdad49, 54fierro, Texas57 and 2 others like this.
  26. John Gizzi

John Gizzi

But of course!

27. 327Eric

327Eric

The rules of the board are what they are, but to sat not traditional may be a misnomer. I remember an article in one of my little pages mags(mid 50's) about a 52(ish) Studebaker big truck with a Chrysler Hemi that 2 old truckers built. Had a 4 Or 5 Speed trans, brownie box and a 2 speed rear, sleeper box and utility bed. Was cool enough to get a build article in a mag of the day.

28. HRP...You makin' up words again ????
    Straight to the Principals office for you, young man!!!

29. Not offering any basis for exception or objection; beyond criticism.

I am a firm believer in if you can't dazzle them with brilliance baffle them with BS. :D HRP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.