Register now to get rid of these ads!

United Flathead Racing Association - UFRA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D_Lazaris, Nov 9, 2011.

1. jrt49box

jrt49box

It is in Washington State ... a good friend of mine owns it.

2. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Last thing I heard about the Big Inch was the owner wasn't able to get the transmission to work. Tony Migglizi custom made the transmission in there.

Does the owner still run the car?

[​IMG]
    288406-R1-124-125 by 1958AntiqueDoll, on Flickr

3. jrt49box

jrt49box

No it is not running, it is on the back burner while he works on some other projects.

4. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Love to see the Big Inch roar down the track again!

5. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

UFRA............Eagle Field Approved!

6. PVTA Jay

PVTA Jay

As I remember it was a short WB chassis, may have been a homebuilt frame, Blue paint. Thanks for looking, maybe someone will remember it eventually. My '34 Ford Pickup, a '50 Merc in it was named Flatbusted (FLTBSTD, a CO plate) Had to sell it couple years ago

7. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

I found this picture in my stash.... I can't tell the name but it looks to be either a k88 Chassis Research frame or homemade.

Maybe this is it?

[​IMG]
    004068-R1-00-1 by 1958AntiqueDoll, on Flickr

8. WCD

WCD

9. Ok D I'm in love.... we need to find this guy
    [​IMG]

10. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Man Carl, that car is badass!!! ,where's he from?

11. Church Key

Church Key

[​IMG] Here are a few more pictures of Dougie Adams from Nashua,NH. This car was originally built in the mid eighties when nostalgia racing was starting to catch on here in New England. Dougie purchased the car a couple of years ago, went through everything and updated the cage. This was the first season he ran the car.

12. Church Key

Church Key

13. Church Key

Church Key

14. Church Key

Church Key

[​IMG] Here is an earlier version of the same car, before Dougie Adams bought it.

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  15. That is one fine piece there Church Key.....love it!!!!!!

16. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

WOW! Love it!!!!

17. Hey D any more on getting a web site up or getting some races set up for the UFRA, talked to Fred yesterday and he said he is interested and maybe we could all get together and set something up.........

18. Jim Marlett

Jim Marlett

How did this whole thread get past me? Any updates?

19. Well quoting Jim Marlett....how did "this" post get past me:rolleyes:????

I've been running the attached FED for the past 2 years down here in Central Texas....having a blast....we are starting to have a "handful" of like minded Altereds and FED's show up at Day of the Drags, etc

I certainly hope this grows from Coast to Coast.....I'm pushing this area to grow, mainly Flatheads, but have initiated a "Vintage Engine Class" as well:D

Attached Files:

20. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

UFRA -Norwegian chapter:D!

K

Taildragger&fenderless

Attached Files:

21. UKDRN

UKDRN

Hi Guys.
    I run the UK Drag Racing Nostlalgia Website.
    In 1974 a guy called Tony Beadle who one of our car builders came to the USA and attended a few of these meetings.
    I don't know what the connection was at the time but Tony was already a big fan of flatheads and went on to form the British Flathead Racing Association.

Tony went on to run and few flathead dragsters and was involved in many other projects. He also become a drag racing historian and writer.
    Sadly he passed away a few years ago but his Jennifer widow has very kindly let me borrow a photo album which as well as many uk drag r acing photographs also contained around 50 pictures of his visit to the US.
    I though some of you might be interested to see them.
    Thanks.
    Jon
    http://www.ukdrn.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4326

Attached Files:

22. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Great Pics!!! Thanks for posting,, And thank Jennifer For Shareing,,, Tim Jones

23. another site to join Tim........

24. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

The Fiat altered Doug Adams runs is the old DJ Louver car which we built. Anderson body, Highland Machine quickchange, sprint car center steering. When we sold the car we kept the engine and it went into this FED which we ran at Englishtown, Indianopolis, Epping, Lebanon Valley, Oxford ME. This 130" car was bought at a swap meet at NED from a house painter who got stiffed for painting a barn and had to take the rolling chassis in lieu of cash. Had cutdown chromed early Ford spindles, Ross steering, aluminum body. Borrani wires, Avon tires, MT mag center on early Olds rear.
    Back then we could field six or seven flathead cars at a nostalgia meet. Ron SanGiovanni had his altered roadster and an FED, Reg Bernier had a FED, Charlie Overfelt from WVA had an altered, there were a couple of flathead FEDs from Boston. Good times, lots of friendly competition. Our FED is now owned and driven by Dick Kiusalas from Cape Cod but still wears the DJ Louver tins on the car.
    I am pleased to see both our cars still in competition, Doug and Dick do a great job. And at the HRR last fall, there was Charlie Overfelt with his 4:71 blown flathead altered roadster, still ticking after all these years.
    100_2048.JPG

25. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Great history there. beautiful car and loving the grass pits. Looks like the time machine had the right co-ordinates.;)

26. I'm not much in to the 1/8th mile stuff, but last weekend Charlie Overfelt came down from Virginia to run "Flathead Fever".....we ran a best of 6.13 sec and 118 mph in the 1/8th....so, Flatheads are still making noises in Central Texas :)

Where can I find the UFRA stickers like Kel has on his FED?

Attached Files: