Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "T coupe on a Model A Frame

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by easyrider47, Oct 16, 2015.

1. easyrider47

easyrider47

Building a 27 coupe on a Model A frame with a warmed up banger in it. I see them once in awhile but I've never really looked into this combination. Question: do I make wood body blocks or mount the car on the frame with rubber pads ? And when I drill the body mount bolt holes, will I have to add any tabs or will the body fit right on the "A" frame?
    Also, I was amazed at how much wider the T body was than my frame in the middle since T frames are so much narrower. In a previous life someone hacked up the subframe on the body...Does anyone know who makes replacement subrails for my coupe?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  2. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

Had a quick look on Google but couldn't find anything specific on this frame/body combo. Since the original T used wood mounts that would be a good start I guess. If it were me doing this project, I'd sit the T body on the A frame and see what looks like the best way to join them together. If it turns out different than what others have done, and it works, that's a bonus!:)

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

I used a stock t wood block kit on my touring. On the a frame I widened the holes on the rear crossmember about 1/8" and set the t body down on it the rear most holes in my touring body then lined up perfectly w the a crossmember. I made sure the cowl was straight to the A frame then drilled new holes in the t body next to the originals down theough the crossmembers wood blocks and a frame. I only had to make 2 tabs for the body mounting holes in the cowl. Hope this makes sense.

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. easyrider47

easyrider47

Thanks guys ! Guess I'll just have to see how it sits and go from there.

5. easyrider47

easyrider47

6. I seem to remember I drilled a couple holes. But everything lined up pretty good.

7. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

8. oldsboy

oldsboy

It depends on where/ how you want the body to bolt down. If you want to use the original Model T bolt holes on the sub-frame cross rails then you'll have to weld tabs to the inside of the Model A frame.

I lined up the body where I wanted it to sit, marked the frame where the holes lined up and then welded body mounts to the interior frame rails. It cleans up the exterior frame rails and seems to work out pretty well.

I might have a few photos in my build thread....