Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Race of Gentlemen, 2015

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirtyest Devil, Dec 17, 2014.

1. I've never been but am planning to spectate next year.

I'm sure you guys will figure it out.

Thanks for all you guys do.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Bobby Green likes this.
  2. Jay T. Judd

Jay T. Judd

Can't wait till next year ! All this talk about the Oilers doing a bad job is B.S. ! You can't put on a event like this and please everyone. Each year should get better. As a spectator this has to be the coolest event I have ever been to !!

Bobby Green likes this.
  3. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

X2 . That bike does not fit the overall feel of TROG . Thanks to Mel for being real and owning up to the short comings of the event and promising to improve where possible. We will see you on the sand next year.

nosdan and Bobby Green like this.
  4. toad611

toad611
    from Tennessee

The only pictures sent this year was the picture of the bike black with the white walls. It was the same bike he brought and raced the year before (same gas tank and fender) only difference was it was painted black with the skull logo, year before it was red. This year the white wheels and tires, last year black wheels and tires. Mark does not do e-mail the only picture e-mailed in this year was sent by my wife. The only comment the girls made was about the wheels and tires as we had been kidding him about them for a few weeks.

5. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

p.s.
    "The Pabst Blue Ribbon" is not actually a good beer, as a matter of fact I'm not sure would I call it a beer at all...
    Luckily got me a couple of six packs of something called "Old Brown Dog" by Smuttynose at a local liquire store. That was a decent dark ale to enjoy while checking around the hot rods & bikes. (not a paid adv.)[/QUOTE] Old brown dog is an excellent brown ale. It is always "in stock" at my house. Everything Smuttynose makes is great. Also not paid advertisement.

6. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Painting a old red hot rod flatblack with skulls is a pretty big darn change I don't really see it different for a harley , you may see just a tank and fender but that is a pretty drastic jump it does change the vibe a lot I think the wheels and tires are what did it in though

7. toad611

toad611
    from Tennessee

Marks bike last year 10710658_10152383904448994_1942676373849445647_n.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. toad611

toad611
    from Tennessee

We also offered to change the wheels and tires Friday night and were told no!

9. Pete

Pete

Looks much better in last years trim.... Just sayin

Bobby Green likes this.
  10. nosdan

nosdan

Yeah, the paint, skull/bones... just doesn't fit man. Should've left it... bottom line, their race, their call. Get over it.

Sorry to hear it was a bit of a mess... I couldn't make the date change and race my car due to work. I can't begin to image the logistical challenges they had. I'm sure Mel, Bobby and the rest of the Oiler's will listen to these comments, make changes, and seek to please those folks called "racers" that people come to see. Racing non stop, pushing cars hard all day, less media/press during race time, plenty of time for folks to see the cars at the hotels.

To those that were pissed, chalk it up as an experience and a "reconciling" year and give it another try next year. Support the hobby, the unique event, and consider the young kids (with parents that could afford to bring them) watching and going home dreaming of doing it when they get old enough.

Cheers to a great event, I'm sure concerns will be addressed, and next year will be more racer oriented. Don't forget to keep the East Coast racing pioneers at the forefront of this East Coast event! West Coast folks already have enough fun :)

11. ELD

ELD

looks like a completely different bike. It's time to move on we're beating a dead horse.

-Brent- and nosdan like this.
  12. ELD

ELD

When I was a wee lad I walked across cold tile floors, barefoot, uphill, in the dark, just to see photos posted here from events. What the heck happened!

CrazyUncleHarry, RICH B and nosdan like this.
  13. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Sunday was effin GREAT!!!!
    Hope to be able to attend next year.

gas pumper and Bobby Green like this.
  14. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

Guys, you need to be thankful there was still an event to go to and quit the bitchin. The oilers are a standup club and made the event happen. They could have easily canceled the event and told everyone to come back next year like Bonneville. This event has high expectations from everyone involved but you can't forget about the hurricane that happened the week before and expect a flawless event. Be realistic.

15. Jay T. Judd

Jay T. Judd

What about spectator parking on the beach between the boardwalk and the event ?
    That 1/4 mile walk is a killer ???

Bobby Green likes this.
  16. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

The torrnados will be back for sure.

BloodyKnuckles and Runnin shine like this.
  17. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Already getting things together to build a 1931 AV8 track nosed Roadster for the 2016 TROG!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Pete

Pete

19. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

All I have to say is thanks to Mel and the Oilers for putting on a wicked cool show. Sure you have a few growing pains so what! I am sure it will be addressed and fixed. I would be honored to have been picked to race my buggy down the beach. Shit I would have be stoked to been picked and not raced. Just BSing in the pits with friends , checking out everyone's rides and having a cold one sure sounds like a blast!
    I have a pile of wicked cool and going to build that Vintage race car just for this event ....I hope to get picked but if not hope to attend and have fun and maybe do some surfing too . Thanks again for your time and efforts on this event..

jalopykid likes this.
  20. blindowl

blindowl
    BANNED
    from MASS

No more bitching from me about TROG .

ELD likes this.
  21. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I too doubt I'll be fortunate enough to have the Rod I'm building excepted. TROG is an Evil-Ass-Cool goal to keep me motivated and thirsting, cheers to the dreamers and hopefuls, I'd like to meet you there. Wyatt

continentaljohn likes this.
  22. I did not go this year, but let me tell you about what happened last year. Mel and I have been pals for years, although never meeting in person. Just BS'ing on here and by text every once in a while. When I went to TROG I made it a point to meet him and shake his hand. Which we did, talked for a sec and he ran off as he has a huge event going on. Later that day he walked by me, said "come here", and he, my Dad and myself walked in the empty Craftsman tent. He grabbed a couple beers, handed me and my dad one, held his up and said "cheers". Just the three of us were in there. We drank our beer and he took me out and said "you gotta race a car" and got me in a car. He is really about the people and the soul of the event. He did not have to do that and to me, was a very special moment. In the midst of all the craziness he took the time to pull me aside, have a drink, and made sure I was having fun. Mel is an artist. A crazy one at that. It takes that kind of crazy passion and drive to pull off an event like this. I have a huge respect for this event as I cannot imagine the time and energy it takes to pull it off.

nosdan, gwhite, Bobby Green and 18 others like this.
  23. I don't know if the 2 guys running the gators were being paid or what, but they did a yeoman's job both days. We were back and forth a bunch of times and hitched a ride more often than not.

My biggest frustration all weekend was not having a car there.

engine138 and 62hotcat like this.
  24. wagoon78

wagoon78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just keep doing what you did Sunday. That worked.

nosdan, engine138 and gas pumper like this.
  25. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

My biggest problem is what will I build for next year's event.

Runnin shine likes this.
  26. Bring your wet suit man...that water is cold!!!

continentaljohn likes this.
  27. Pete

Pete

I have to say, the Barillaro brothers raised the bar this year with the 555 belly tank! What an amazing piece of machinery!! Hats off to you guys. It was jaw dropping to see that tank rip down the beach! image.jpg

28. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

^^^ the belly tank was my favorite car there ^^^^

29. Thanks for the compliments guys, we had a blast this year and it was great to hang out with everyone. We will see you guys next year!

30. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead