Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '36 chevy hot rod truck build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 2345.coupe, Oct 12, 2015.

1. here's my new winter project. just got her from Bakersfield Ca. She's a chopped '36 chevy truck cab on a home made frame and fabricated box.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  2. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Ya got a good start going there! Really nice job on the box.

3. Icufltrn

Icufltrn

Looks like a good start. What are the plans for it?

4. I agree very nice start Jim

5. yea, I think it's a great start also. The box is great. Boling Brothers out of Ca. made the box.

well,the frame is awesome so I'm not going to modify that....yet. The cab needs tons of metal work so I'm starting there. The chop is terrific, lots of planning went into that. Up in the air about the motor.

yea, I'm lucky on this one...thanks

6. studebaker46

studebaker46

check out cactus1 keep on truckin build lots of good info there I am sure he will chime in when he sees this lookin good so far Tom

7. thanks, I'll do that.....

8. well, here's some history on my project......
    as I mentioned the box was built by Boling Brothers, frame was built by Gary Maxwell and his dad. Gary did all the welds.Gary also did the great chop and made the headers. His father painted the frame. Wishbones are bent because they were on a '40 ford that had the wishbones split, and rather then re-bent the hangers they just bent the bones.They swapped sides with them so it looks like it was done on purpose. '40 spring is on the rear. front was from a spring pack that was on one side of a parallel chevy set-up. Lots of engine room because they were originally going with an Olds motor.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff, volvobrynk and Icufltrn like this.
  9. 38mag

38mag

36's are cool, you have a great start.
    Here's mine.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff and volvobrynk like this.
  10. that's a real nice truck. could you pm me ,I'd like to get more pics of her......

11. 23dragster

23dragster
    from U.S.

Looks sweet. I'm a fan of those white wall Firestones too.

12. what's the turning radius?

13. 38mag

38mag

Not real tight, tire rubs the radius rod at full lock, I should have bent the radius rod so the tire would clear. All in all it's not really to bad.
    Jim

14. now I should have mentioned the steering box has to be pivoted, the drag link lengthened and steering arm changed.The steering radius hasn't been worked out yet. Some of these components were just for shipping and haven't been worked out yet.

15. Thanks.... yea Firestone's have a nice look. I'm curious why he ran radials on the front and bias on the rear. I'll have to ask.

16. that makes sense, it didn't look right to me, but it is hard to tell from pictures.
    keep posting progress.

17. Bigbangtheory....
    well, right now I'm welding the top back on the cab........in between welds, my mind is racing with all kinds of idea's motor tranny combo, grille , seat, color, what style headers,shock location, what style headlights, tail lights, etc..........you know the drill......

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  18. get some welding done on the chop. working out well. I was pleased that I didn't have a big wrinkle at the end of the cut.
    I have a '36 car grille shell , don't have the insert. I'm not seeing that on the truck....yet. I need to do more searches to find my right look.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finn Jensen likes this.
  19. 23dragster

23dragster
    from U.S.

You're welcome, sir. Good question, maybe it's what they had on hand?

20. maybe, I'm going to find out. On my '30 coupe I run bias on all four corners.The fronts and rears are balanced with tubes. At 60 mph and up my front tires start bouncing, so I think radials on the fronts will alleviate some of that issue.

21. jdownunder

jdownunder

i say youre off to a great start

22. thanks man....I'm grateful I have this project.....

23. 23dragster

23dragster
    from U.S.

Good call on the radials.

24. Icufltrn

Icufltrn

25. sure I have updates......
    been welding the chop together, now in between welds I've been thinking about what I want this build to be. I've flip flopped between ideas but now I have a definite plan and goal.
    I had a '63 vette when I was a kid......327, 4 speed, 4:11, she would go between 120-140 mph. The 327 would wined up so fast that it always gave you a thrill. That's my goal for this build, with just a few differences. i know with the 3 speed I can't go as fast as my '63 but a quick 100 mph will do just fine in this truck.
    I'm going with the 327, th 350, 4:11 locker 8" rear.I have a B&M ratchet slap shifter ,I going with the Thumper cam set-up. Going to put a shift kit in the tranny to make her stronger and so I don't burn her up. The block looks good not hogged out, still has the swirls visible on the cylinder walls. The compression test may indicate some broken rings so were changing them out. The heads look good , valves passes the gas test. I filled up the valve indentation on the head with gas. She didn't poor right out just eventually seeped out. Just going to change the valve springs that are supplied in the cam kit. I'll run a dual plane intake with a 600 cfm Edelbrock. The reason for the Edlbrock is because it has only one "rubber" part and that's the accelerator pump. So that's all I have to change after the fucking shitty gas expands it to twice its original size. I cant afford race gas. Oh yes, remember to run high zinc oil if you don't have a roller. I run Joe Gibbs racing Oil. Today's oils have NO zinc, so if you run todays oils you'll have no cam left.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
    Okie Pete likes this.
  26. CORPO

CORPO

good looking start... I also chopped my 36 without splitting the roof, but I did my cuts a bit differently.. Keep at it

27. the three speed and the four speed have the same final ratio, 1 to 1, so you will be able to go as fast. as long as your rear gears are the same.
    is your compression gage accurate?

28. yea, the gauge is accurate.....she's quite the motor.....

29. youngsspeed

youngsspeed

nice truck, gotta love those '37s[​IMG]

30. youngsspeed

youngsspeed