Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Customs by the Sea #2

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by SuperFleye, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Torchie

Torchie

Nice pics TWIG.
    So what happened to the Pre 52 cut off date for this years show? I know the show was pushed back because of the weather but other than that not much info out there.
    Torchie

2. Those were pictures from last year.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've never quite understood tacking on the comments or photos of this years event (of any kind) to a previous years post. I had to go back through and sort out the dates of the posts to tell what was about last year and what was about this year and no doubt others are confused on the same thing.
    Nice photos Twig, It looks like they still had a fair turnout even with the weather.

racingonerobb likes this.
  4. Here's a few pics from this year. We had a nice collection of early customs.

IMG_20151008_174538.jpg IMG_20151010_072023.jpg IMG_20151010_081814.jpg IMG_20151011_104528.jpg IMG_20151011_065600.jpg

BloodyKnuckles

'Mo, Thulsa Doom and straykatkustoms like this.
  5. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Looks like VERY light attendance.... How many cars were there?

6. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

According to what I heard...a grand total of 8. Yes, you read that correctly-eight...!!!

R-

7. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

Customs by the sea was a bit of a let down I know the weather the week before may have contributed to its low attendance This show needs to be moved to the week the rodders journal revival had if they don't return to Baltimore and open up to at least pre 58 but still a great idea to have on the sand that was cool just my.02

8. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I'd also heard Rodder's Journal would not do the show again...

R-

9. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

I didnt like how it was set up either, if the kustom show was going to be outside trog(behind the fence) I think they should of kept it pre 62 again or whatever it was last year the attendance would of been alot better, I thought the kustoms this year was going to be mixed in with the race cars or something, where I could understand the pre 52 period...

10. 'Mo

'Mo

That's how I could foresee it best too, Fatty.
    Like a smattering of push cars in the pits.
    (Edit: But upon reflection, this would certainly isolate them from closer view, as access to the race cars must certainly be largely restricted during the races.)

Gil Ayala's '41 Merc, the Duval/Curtis built '36, Bertolucci's '38, and so many other multi-use vehicles must have really caused a stir wherever they were seen, but nowhere more so than at the race course. (Or on it!)
    Those were times before "customs, with a K", and their presence at racing events, whether in the pits, parking areas, or on the course itself constitutes a major element integral to the era that TROG approximates. In this context, 8 cars would go a long way.

In Fact, Bloody Knuckles parking lot photos could easily reflect a scenario from days of yore, and TROG certainly benefited from their inclusion. Given the constraints that must certainly continue to mount for the promoters, perhaps the current endeavor will prove best for the long run.

(And let'm all make a pass, while they're at it! That will winnow away the chaff, for sure!)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  11. Torchie

Torchie

I have read of lots of complaints in regards to TROG this year. Everything from the price, to the lack of runs that were allowed, to specifactions that were to be followed only to be told on race day that they were or were not allowed, ect. I hope that this isn't a case of success going to some bodies head.
    As far as the custom car part goes. I have no doubt that the weather and the postponement created problems for some of the pre registered cars owners. And perhaps in the excitement of last years success it was thought that this would be a great way to have a Very "traditional" custom car show. I am not sure that piggy backing onto TROG is the way to go as it appears to have become somewhat of a monster in regards to the cost to participate.
    I hope that Sondre doesn't get too discouraged by this and stops trying. And if it would help to have some people over here helping to put on this show all he needs to do is to put out the word. I would hope that people who live in this area would step up to volunteer.
    Looking forward to next year.........
    Torchie

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  12. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I don't think the weather contributed to the problem as much as you think. Discussion about the restriction to Pre-52 styling was done on another thread, and I even predicted that less than 10 or 12 cars would result. Calculating this from the number of cars that fit those year restrictions at the previous year's show. There just aren't enough of these customs around, and even though I'm building one, it's running and driving, I wouldn't go, just to see just another 10 customs. Not into the stripped down hot rod stuff so much.

57JoeFoMoPar likes this.
  13. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I thought the same in regards to the TROG racers a few years back. I thought they were to limited in the style they were looking for and it would run its course in short order. We'll it seems as if people are really going out of there way now to build hot rods that fit the TROG bill in hopes of participating. Perhaps we will see the same trend with 52 style customs being built to participate in Customs by the sea.

14. Torchie

Torchie

I was well aware of the comments in regards to the pre 52 cut off date chopolds. My comments about the weather being a factor was more in regards to the fact that if people were traveling to the show the week postponement probably screwed up their plans in regards to time off from work. Reservations. etc......Hell even the guy that was putting on the show had to go back home due to time constraints and the postponement.
    As I am building a custom that would easily fit into the pre 52 requirements as well I would someday like to be able to attend a show of like minded custom owners so I hope that this show continues in some form.....I would be less concerned about the size of the event as long as there were quality customs there.

I don't know that the earlier style of customs will ever become that prevalent due to the fact that the lack of modern running gear, no bags, and the cost of parts is a turn off to many people. Plus many of these cars were not exactly known for their driveability.
    Just take a look at most of the customs being built here on the HAMB. I have no problem with how people want to build their cars as it's their thing. But most of them would not fit into this show as well. Will be interesting to see what developes......
    Torchie

ELD likes this.
  15. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Doubtful. I certainly don't mean or intend to belittle or diminish many of the cars that participate in TROG, but many of the "builds" are a bunch of cars that are slapped together with the sole intention of making it down the beach. Little to no attention is often paid to fit, finish, paint, etc. This is definitely not true for all. The same doesn't hold true for customs. It takes a lot of work, and a skilled hand, to chop big, rounded tops, mould fenders, fabricate fadeaways, not to mention make a powertrain that can be reliable enough to drive legitimate miles. I'm just saying there is a big difference in cost and skill required to take a T/A chassis, stick an engine in it, make it run, make it stop and steer to a minimal degree, place a cowl and seat on it and send it 1/8 mile down the beach and back onto the trailer, and the cost and skill required to take a 39 Merc, chop it, slam it, make it run and drive on the street, install interior, have it in straight paint and send it 150 miles down the Garden State Parkway.

The turnout was entirely foreseeable.

Elrod likes this.
  16. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

As I am building a custom that would easily fit into the pre 52 requirements as well I would someday like to be able to attend a show of like minded custom owners so I hope that this show continues in some form.....I would be less concerned about the size of the event as long as there were quality customs there.

Preaching to the choir, Torchie! I feel the same way, I went to every Leadsled from around 1984 up to the late 90's. Some almost 2000 miles, some even by myself, all of them in a real custom. The early ones were lucky to have 3-400 cars there, but they were ALL customs! It was a magical era, the rebirth of the custom movement. Back then there were only 2 or 3 all custom events yearly, and I usually made them all, when time and money permitted. Sometimes even squeezed in a James Dean Run, or Back to the 50's. But most custom guys I know are blue collar dudes, have limited funds, and limited vacation time. You have to choose the events you go to, carefully. That's why I don't think a 'very limited' custom event will ever succeed. There are, simply, better attended events to spend your hard earned time and money on. The TROG will always be a hot rod, pre-war, racing event first. That is the main attraction. If you limit the customs to pre-52, that segment won't grow much.

Joe, you always say things best!

17. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

18. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I get it, wishful thinking on my part I guess. I had not even considered modern drive trains as a factor, figuring customs usually have the hood closed. Either way I wish success, however they decide to organize things. Seeing as I'm in Texas I don't have much dog in this fight, just love for real period correct customs.

19. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Most of the cars in the show this year were not "period correct" to the desired degree either. I'm not going to blow up anyone's spot for committing the cardinal sin of using an OHV engine in their car, but among the cars there you have at least one SBC, and (gasp) a small block Ford, and one of the cars was on bags. That being said, I'd proudly drive the fucking shit out of any one of those cars and I know at least a few of them get some real heavy doses of legit miles.

Lone Star Mopar likes this.
  20. Torchie

Torchie

As many of us do Lone Star....
    I fully understand what Sondre was/is trying to accomplish with his cut off date but perhaps it was/is too restrictive. I had my first custom back in 75 when you could barely give them away. And like chopold and StudeDude every one that I have had since has had the piss driven out of it. My Clarkaiser original Queen of the Vics that may or may not still be in Jersey was one of the cars that was excluded this year due to the cut off date.. I drove that one during the winter here in Northern MI. LOL
    So having survived the time when customs were almost forgotten by the people that put on car shows it is great to see them back.
    I too hope that they have success with what ever is decided.
    Torchie

Lone Star Mopar likes this.
  21. As an early custom enthusiast and Customs By The Sea participant for both years, I'll give you my thoughts.

First off, to have a pre-52 show dedicated strictly to early styling, if 8 cars show up, I'd be pleased. This year was tough due to the date being postponed. Some superb customs were unable to make the new date. If they were able to make it, most of the comments that I've read so far wouldn't be pertinent.

Secondly, were all the cars strictly period correct? No but what they did have, at first glance, is a definitive early custom look. A few were works in progress and when completed, will be beautiful.

This year, Sondre and crew were unable to be there on the postponed date. That being said, our club offered to step in to continue with the show. We drove, not trailered, 4 cars with us from North Carolina, 2 of which participated in the Customs By The Sea. One of our cars is a custom '49 shoebox that is very much a 60's era build. It was not part of the show.

The simple fact that The Race Of Gentlemen is the headliner, then the Customs By The Sea needs to compliment the overall event. If you introduce post-'52 customs, there will not be a cohesive flow between the two.

With all of this being said, I'm a huge custom fan of all eras but am thrilled to have an exclusive early custom show on the east coast. I can go to many shows and even local cruise ins and see post-'52 customs. It's refreshing to have a show that is this strict. If more early custom guys would be more open to participate in the beginning with lower number of participants, then maybe this show could grow to be one of the premier shows in the country.

I will support Sondre's decision with the cut off date. It may not be good for everyone but not every show is. That's ok.

BloodyKnuckles

22. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

After laughter comes rain...or was it after rain comes laughter?

Anyhow my Customs to the Sea and the Race of Gentlemen trip this year included lots of rain. Me and my crew of Coupe Devils members arrived in Wildwood September 29. It was raining hard that day and a storm was in the air. When we woke up the next morning the storm had grown into a hurricane, and it had been given a name; Joaquin. Later that day it was decided to move the Race of Gentlemen and Customs by the Sea a week. A smart, but painful move....below is a photo I took in the city of Wildwood Saturday, October 1.

[​IMG]
    ..it would have been the 1st "Customs in the Sea"...that is for sure! It was very frustrating for me that the show had been postponed. I had been working hard for about a year getting a nice line up of pre 1952 styled custom cars gathered for the show. When we decided to go for a pre 1952 cut off date last year I was hoping for 20 cars. We had 29 quality customs signed up, so I was pretty excited about that when we left Norway! Anyhow, my biggest problem now was that neither me or my crew could extend our stay with a week!!! What now? ?

Ron Barbarino and Jeremy Minamyer of the Iron Lords cc mailed me immediately after the news broke out on social media, asking what the plans for the show was. Well, I told them I had to return to Norway on Tuesday, but that I was working on a solution. What they didn't know then, was that they was the solution ;) Ron, Jeremy and the rest of the Iron Lords became my show producers for the weekend, and they promised to take care of the customs I could salvage. I immediately emailed all of the registered cars, and within 24 hours 14 of 29 cars had confirmed their arrival next week. A big drop, but still enough cool cars to do a little exhibit.

The week before the show, I did my best managing the show over email, phones, facebook messages, Instagram messages and more. I felt like Elvis when he was broadcasting live from Hawaii!

[​IMG]

When the weekend came I was online, continuously checking social media. Richard Slim Toonkel became my staff photographer, making sure I would get some good photos from the show. When his first batch of photos arrived I was thrilled.

Here's a photo of Jeremy Minamyer entering the show early Saturday morning.
    [​IMG]
    Jeremy's Mercury debuted in bare metal last year, on the first Customs by the Sea. Seing it in white primer was awesome! Excellent work J!

Chris Rusbach climing the ditch to enter the show with his 1941 Ford coupe.
    [​IMG]

Kevin Anderson entering the show with his 1936 Ford coupe. Kevin drove all the way from Indiana to attend the show. A sharp looking custom.

[​IMG]

This photo made my day.
    [​IMG]
    What a beautiful sight! This photo, and our little line up of 8-10 sharp looking customs, made me realize that I would take these 8 cars any day over the 100-200 mixed cars we had last year. Quality over quantity. I have always considered this years show as a pilot. A pilot to test the concept. Does it hold sand? Can we have the cars on the sand? Are there enough pre 1952 styled cars out there to make a show dedicated to them? Yes! Yes! YES!

Will there be a 3rd Customs by the Sea?

[​IMG]
    Hell yeah. Next year!
    The date is not set yet, but chances are it will be early to mid October. Now we're aiming for 50 cars!
    A bold goal for sure, but we're into a challenge. The rules are the same. Pre 1952 cars. Pre 1952 style. Due to unknown driving conditions on the sand, we're not sure how many cars we can let in, so we might limit the show to 50 cars.
    If you want to pre register today, visit www.customsbythesea.com or mail me at [email protected]

OK. It's time to wrap. But I would like to thank everyone for the support and the constructive feedback. And also, I would like to thank the great guys of the Iron Lords, who made it all happen in my leave of absence. I couldn't have done it without you :) Also, thanks to the chosen few who made the trip to Wildwood last weekend, without you there would have been no Customs by the Sea #2. As I said, this year was a pilot to test the water. It was decided to showcase the custom cars outside the fence to make a bitching surrounding for the show. Next year we'll showcase the cars inside the show. Where it will be depends on the weather, the sand and driving conditions.

Below are more awesome photos by Slim! If anyone have more photos from the show to share poste em up....ohh, and if you're one of the guys that made it to Wildwood for the wrong weekend, we have made a little souvenir for you...check it out here!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

Obviously u made up your mind on pre 52, but just a suggestion you if your trying to included kustoms by the sea more in trog you, you should maybe orangize a (reject lot) on the beach outside the fence to all kustoms that dont make the requirements, The road agents show in CT used to have a reject lot and there was no problems and was filled with alot of cool rods/kustoms. This year seamed to be id be cool to bring your post 52 cars and just have the town filled with kustoms, but nobody wants to drive hours to leave their car at the hotel. Either that or have a kustom show next to the bike party friday nite, I enjoyed Friday more than trog itself, and im not really into bikes. I also I agree quality over quanity which is why I drove 14hrs to the custom car revival in indy the first year, and they were hoping for a 100 cars but they exceeded there goal and personally I think they should look for a bigger spot, because hes doing a great job managing the cars thats going there and will out grow edwards real soon if not already, I just dont understand why people think making it pre 52 doesnt means quality goes up, maybe I wrong bought thought last year was heading in the right direction especially for the first year, the kopper kart, max king merc, and more historic customs including most of the cars that showed up this year, but again Sondre Im wishing you best of luck, Id still like to be your friend lol, just trying to have some constructive criticism, because Id luv to see this thing succeed, and maybe get to see mazeII in the show one year! lol

Russ B likes this.
  24. So, Saturday, mid day, they started letting classic cars onto the beach but unfortunately there were modern cars already parked there. It made for a rather chaotic parking situation. Then Sunday, after discussions with Mel and Bobby Green, the decision was to park only classic cars on the beach. So with the help from the Certs CC we organized the classics across from the Customs show. It turned out pretty damn good. I do believe that this is a direction that they plan to incorporate next year. I think it worked out very well.

BloodyKnuckles

ELD, Thulsa Doom and 62hotcat like this.
  25. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

Yes! Keep it pre-52!!!!

'Mo likes this.
  26. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

pre 1956 the hey day of Kustoms.

27. Torchie

Torchie

Sondre.
    Great to hear you weigh in on this years show.
    I appreciate not only your passion for customs(of all kinds) as evidenced by your Kustomrama site but also your determinaton to put your money where your mouth is and put on the kind of show that you want.
    "From tiny acorns grow giant oaks" I look forward to attending one and perhaps even having my own project there as well.
    Keep on keeping on..........
    Torchie

28. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Thanks Torchie! Since day one I have always wanted Customs by the Sea to be somethin' else. The first year was great, with the inner circle of historic cars, the rest of the show looked mostly like just another show, and it didn't do that much for me. It would be great to have you onboard with a pre 1952 custom Torchie. Are we talking 2016?

I sure have Fatty. I appreciate your constructive feedback....and we are in fact working on a reject lot for the outside. I want to move the pre 1952 show inside the fence, and we are already discussing having a rejected parking lot outside. This lot can be done in many ways. We could for example create one lot for all pre 1965 cars that don't fit the 1952 rule....or we could divide it into areas. One suggestion could be having it divided into two areas, one for pre 1965 styled hot rods and customs, and one for the rest. Or we could dedicate one or two rows per decade. 1950s styled. 1960s styled. 1970s style and so on...the more complex we do it, the more help would I need running it :) But yeah, as you see, we have started working on a solution for all the space on the outside. Son any feedback and ideas concerning how we can make a bitching show on the outside is very welcome....and if we get the outside parking lot show good enough, I'm absolutely considering shipping the Maze II over so we could take it on a tour afterwards! I have a dream about loading the bed with scanners, cameras, video recording equipment and take it on a tour, visiting old hot rodders and customizers all over the US, documenting their stories, scanning their photos and so on. This needs to be done before it becomes too late!

Yes, you guys laid the foundation for something good BloodyKnuckles. Let's try to take this concept further next year!

ELD, Lone Star Mopar and engine138 like this.
  29. Torchie

Torchie

IMG_1695.jpg I would like to think that it will be 2016 Sondre, but who knows. Health issues have slowed my build down to a crawl.
    First pic show where I'm at currently. 2nd pic shows a photo shop of where I'm headed minus paint. Color is to be 1936 Ford Washington blue.
    Will it fit the criteria?????
    Torchie

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  30. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Wow!! It sure fits as far as I can see Torchie :)
    That's a great project you have going there! I hope to see you and your truck at the beach next year!