Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Race of Gentlemen, 2015

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirtyest Devil, Dec 17, 2014.

1. NSR

NSR

I wonder if the organizers and/or town could move those unused, big ass bleachers up to the berm and put the return road around behind them? Or move the return road even deeper into the beach - around behind the sponsor/vendor/beer tents. As someone else mentioned, moving the return road off the surf/track would step up the pace of the racing significantly, but it would also require spectators to cross the return road in order to get to the bleachers/berm.

Also, a weekend Pit Pass option for spectators might be cool.
    How do you racers feel about allowing spectators regular access to the pit area?

62hotcat likes this.
  2. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Rolling Bones build super nice traditional style hot rods . There's no reason at all they shouldn't race , in fact I think it's pretty awesome they continue to attend every year.

3. I was There as a spectator and had an awesome time. The cars were ridiculous, and I met some real cool people. I will def be back next year, hopefully with my car in tow....

Bobby Green and 62hotcat like this.
  4. Rolling Bones has been going to TROG since 2013. There cars look great on the beach and this is the first year they didn't run a flathead because the car was considered "exhibition". Made for some great photos and we were honored that he picked the 555 belly tank to race as part of his 2 out of 3 exhibition.

5. ELD

ELD

Via Lars Mapstead "Walk with me down the starting lineup of the 2015 Race of Gentlemen, SO many awesome Traditional Hotrods, period Correct Bangers and Flatheads. The best of the Best Gentlemen racers. Perfect weather, all Racing on the sand at Wildwood new Jersey. Listen to the sounds , Amazing !!"

6. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Remember when you were a kid, and you'd pick up that wooden hammer attached to a rope, you'd stare out over the flat tabletop in front of you, the one with 8 holes in it, your heart pounding and your palms clammy as you slip a shiny quarter into the slot..... Then.. Pop.. Pop..Pop!. The Moles start popping up like crazy! Your eye to hand coordination is challenged, you hit two, but miss one!! "Damnit!" You scream! No matter how many times you play this game, you just never can get them all..... And so goes the Wakamole saga as it slowly plays out in varying forms throughout the rest of your life.....

Yes, this is exactly what it feels like to be an event promoter.
    Every coin spent is another opportunity to hit a perfect score, and while you try your hardest, is perfection ever try reached? ........Who's to say?
    I do know this however.... We whacked more gosh damn Moles this year than ever before! And hot Damn! It felt good! Did we miss a few.... Yup... Of course...that damn pesky mole named "pit confusion" elude our hammer.... And a new mole we never saw before named "pit pass" popped out nowhere. But we finally nailed those crazy moles "Registration, Drivers meeting and Press mob". Yee haw!
    And you can be damn sure that we'll be gunning for those first two next year. We'll bring a shotgun instead of a hammer if we have to.

We work damn hard and we aims to please. No Mole left alive is our motto.

Volunteers are always welcome. We have lots and lots of extra hammers!

7. toad611

toad611
    from Tennessee

I don't think you got that registration mole right when someones bike is accepted and entry paid then told when he shows up he will not be allowed to bring it on the beach because its to pretty to race!

chiro and Fordgasser1 like this.

8. I can only imagine...but all I can say is that is was the single most amazing thing I have ever been too. The cars, the people, the party..it was awesome. Hurry up and announce next years dates so I can book a room! I cant wait!

Bobby Green likes this.
  9. jcs64

jcs64

toad611,
    could you post up a pic of your friends bike? Im kinda curious as to what it looks like.

CrazyUncleHarry, RICH B and ELD like this.
  10. My first year in attendance. Had a great time. Plan on being there with the Model A in my avatar next year.

Bobby Green likes this.
  11. Sugar City Made them Sunday I believe. They will be mailed out if they weren't picked up, per Bobby G.

Bobby Green likes this.
  12. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

Bottom line is the people who built the cars want to run...a lot. A return track or any way to pick up the pace of getting the next guy to run seems like a no brainer.

Whatever you're planning for next year and whatever marketing strategies you have to make it a bigger and more lucrative event... You need to ensure the racers are happy.

13. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

All I have to say is thank god it's over ...
    and I don't have to keep seeing craftsman ads about it ....and jessi combs on my Facebook feed all the fucking time!!

14. On Saturday I shared many of the disgruntled feelings voiced amongst the drivers in the pits, and here. I waited over 3 hours for my first pass on Saturday. Was shuffled around to various spots to wait for my turn at the line, and watched after each re-arrangement, as other cars were moved ahead of me in line. Believe me I felt the frustration. But I had the perspective of previous participation. IE: Things are ALWAYS chaotic on Saturday at TROG. It takes the Oilers some time to sort things out. I know that like all the racers, I arrive at TROG having invested significant time, money, and effort to build and bring my car, and I have my own idea of what the weekend will be, and how "my TROG" is going to play out. That idea never perfectly matches reality. Sometimes adjusting to that reality sucks... Only having an opportunity for 2 runs on Saturday is a harsh reality.

The sad reality is, too many people want to be part of this event. The Oilers do a great job of letting as many folks as possible in. So you were accepted and invited to race. Which racer do you think should be cut so that there's more time for the others to race? What if the cut was YOU? As crowded as it was, I know they invited just enough, because there was room to include me. Self-serving? You bet...but honest.

The Oilers need to take care of the other folks who are paying as well...the spectators and the sponsors... It's not a charity event, and they have to pay the bills... that's life! Yes, our cars and motorcycles are the big draw, but they aren't getting rich on the $200 driver entry fees, hell that may not even pay for the scary insurance rider they have to carry to let us all careen down the beach in close proximity to all those spectators.
    (Having said that, they set the bar high by including great driver jerseys for that $200 last year, and I was saddened to find out it didn't include one this year. Timing Tags weren't made till Sunday afternoon, and will be distributed via mail to those who didn't get theirs...if you missed out let them know.)

Oh yeah...that insurance. It's one of the limiting factors, along with State Police oversight, as to where and how they can have the cars moving near spectators. I've been told it makes a return road on the land side of the viewing area difficult. But I've also been told they have already come up with a plan to minimize the delay of returning racers, allowing for more runs.
    The same State Police rules are likely responsible for the sometimes Gestapo like pit access issues.
    I have always felt it's critical to let the spectators see the cars up close. Opening the pits was key.
    However, doing so in the middle of the event causes us to lose precious low tide racing time. I believe this is why they didn't do that on Sunday. Letting the folks in at the start and end of the day, when the tides preclude racing would be a great compromise, and I for one would be happy to hang around at the end of the day and let folks visit and check out the cars.

I am not an apologist for Mel & Bobby and the Oilers, just sharing my observations after being involved with this event since before the first one in Loch Arbor. I'm sure there will continue to be issues in 2016 and beyond. But I'll be building cars and asking to be allowed to participate, as long as they'll let me.

Oh, and as to selling out to sponsors, I'm one of the guys who has a sponsor's name on the side of my car. I didn't get paid to do it. I did it because the sponsor is helping to make this race a reality. And I am grateful for that. Oh, I did get a case of product. If you're in the area, stop by and you can share it with me. In the meanwhile I'll be in the garage trying to figure out what to build for next year...

15. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

Agreed uncle Harry.

16. flash

flash

My observation: I got to make 6 runs total (more than I would've had at any drag strip) and got to choose who I raced (friends) and in a totally unique and amazing location (better than any drag strip I've been too) all the while hanging out with great friends and bad ass cars / bikes. I'm pretty damn pleased with that.

17. blindowl

blindowl
    BANNED
    from MASS

that car was running OHV yup a Y block

18. blindowl

blindowl
    BANNED
    from MASS

hahahaha

19. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Depending on what days are locked down for next year... I've got roughly 359 to knock out before the fun can start and so do you too, awesome.

Bobby Green and CrazyUncleHarry like this.
  20. blindowl

blindowl
    BANNED
    from MASS

x2 the racers are the event .......right ?? pissed racers = trog no more

toreadorxlt likes this.
  21. There's been a Y block powered Model 40 in the race since the beginning. Andy Kohler's amazing coupe in the first year, I believe Dick DeLuna's car last year was flathead powered, but there was a Hemi powered Deuce coupe, and the rebuilt Cal Kennedy Chevy inline-6 powered T-33. They are outliers to the standard classes as advertised, but it's never been a big secret that an "exhibition" car or two will be included based on it's historicity or appearance. It certainly isn't a NEW thing this year.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
    ELD likes this.
  22. blindowl

blindowl
    BANNED
    from MASS

they were "exhibition cars " and ran more than most of us that "followed the rules" .

toreadorxlt likes this.
  23. toad611

toad611
    from Tennessee

Stevens_Mark_card_zpsxdpgo0hs.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  24. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

wow!i would have been pissed too.

25. The only runs I got in were runs to the beer tent and the outhouses. I quite literally don't have a horse in this race, but I'm blown away by the number of guys eager and willing to take pot-shots at the Oilers for whatever perceived slight they're feeling. There are more people building cars to run at TROG as we speak, if you don't want to show up next year, I have a feeling there are racers happy to take your place. Go find yourself another crazy cool weird fun beach racing event on the east coast to run at, or better yet, organize one yourself... it's as easy as pie. Good luck.

gwhite, 63fdsnr, gas pumper and 3 others like this.
  26. blindowl

blindowl
    BANNED
    from MASS

27. mike bowling

mike bowling

I don't think this is all aimed at the "Oiler's" at all- there was a problem with organization at the top , and being force fed advertising that got pretty annoying after awhile ( and used up what was very limited run time on the beach). I didn't race, but went down with the "Torrnados" who fielded four cars , had limited runs during Sat.'s chaos, but a great time Sun.
    I agree, the bashing has gone on long enough- At this point it's pretty counterproductive. If people have ideas they think will IMPROVE the 2016 TROG, they should PM Mel directly and spell it out. Everyone knows what the weak areas were this year- If we can have 2 days like Sun. next year, we'll ALL be in tall cotton.
    Time to quit bitchin' and start building!
    (I think Mark Stevens should get a free pass next year- nice bike!)

Attached Files:

28. Mark Stevens entered his bike with a pic from the year before. I was a original paint bike that looked bad ass. We said yes!

Then Mark changed his bike. He painted it flat black, added a skull n crossbones to tank. Painted his wheels white and added white walls. He sent his picture in and it went straight to the program artist. I didn't see it till it showed up in wildwood. To me, and others not connected to the Oilers, it looked like a typical rat rod, but bike version. I said wow man, you changed it, it's to clean. I said that instead of saying it sucks. Then I said, I feel bad, take my bike and beat the shit out of it. He didn't.

By the way, his wife and another lady with him said, we told you not to paint and change that bike you idiot.

This is why we ask for complete pictures to be in by aug 1. So one slipped by, sorry.

I'd have made up for it as I said kill my bike man. He can have his money back. Wasn't our plan to

29. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Mike, X2 on the lets get movin. Boy that express looks rad. But I'm not sure the doors are safe but I love there lightweight composite construction.

30. I'll remind you, we had a state of emergency the week before. We lost over twenty workers. We were short handed and worked our you know what's off.

The whole event was a catastrophe, but we got though it.

If you wanted to race, you should just line up and go. Sat was tough, Sunday got better.

You think you were annoyed, I wanted to scream. I like action!!!

I've already got a killer plan for next year, it will work. Goodnight.