Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1953 210 12v with original generator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim Payne, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Tim Payne

Tim Payne

I Have a 53 210 with 235. It's been converted to 12v but not so sure it was done properly. Seems it has the original generator and voltage regulator, along with the other smaller device on the firewall below the generator. It's charging at about 16.5 volts. Where should i start? Removed the cover from the voltage regulator and it looks really clean and dry with good contacts.

2. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com

3. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Have your generator and regulator checked. 16.5 seems too high to me. Regulator may look fine but may need to be adjusted. How is the battery?

4. Tim Payne

Tim Payne

Battery is good but it's new. Do I buy a replacement regulator for a later model car since I'm 12v now?

5. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

The gen should have a yag on it that will tell you if its 6 or 12, the reg sometimes will have the voltage stamped on one of the ears that the hold down screws go thru.

6. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

I recently had my regulator adjusted to put out the proper voltage 14.5 as it had been closer to 16 which is not good.

7. I seriously doubt a 6v. generator would put out 16v.

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

It could but you would have to rev it pretty high. Voltage increases with speed, at idle a 6v could put out less than 6v, above 1000 rpm it will start to charge and the regulator will cut it back, without a regulator it could go over 20 volts at hi rpm.

9. Tim Payne

Tim Payne

I think I will try adjusting the regulator tonight to get the voltage down and if no luck I will go with a one wire alternator. That seems to be the way to go, right?

10. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Why would it be the way to go? You should post photos of the generator so we can have a better idea of what you have.

11. Tim Payne

Tim Payne

I'm not sure which generator it is, I will check and post pics when I get home.
    jcmarz: I just said it was the way to go because every article I read about 6 to 12 conversion says to install an alternator with internal regulator..figured there was something special about alternators.

12. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Honestly, generators are good enough for those old car until you start morphing it into a new car, i.e: Big ass stereo systems, modern V8s, modern AC, power this, power that. As for your car, since it's 12 v, it should run a 12 v Generator and a 12 v Regulator. That's why I asked about photos because the 6v Gen looks bigger (even surface), then the 12v Gen (has a step).

13. Tim Payne

Tim Payne

Gotcha, I'm pretty sure its a 12v generator. If I could get the voltage down a to a safe level I'd be more than happy with the generator setup. Anyone have a regulator adjustment procedure?

14. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

If you can find an old Motor manual it should have the adjustment procedure. I dont really know if you can adjust a 6v regulator to be a 12V regulator. I do know that if you buy a replacement regulator for a 55 Chevy it will be 12 V and most likely solid state with no adjustment required, or available ( At least the last one I bought was) Good Luck.

15. Tim Payne

Tim Payne

Ok that's good info...so if I want to replace the existing regulator I should get one for a 55 Chevy?

16. Most of the '50's GM generators and regulators were pretty similar. I would think one for a '55 Chevy would work as well as anything. It is possible to I.D. the generator from the plate on the gen body. It has a part number stamped on it.

Check out this thread:
    http://www.v8buick.com/archive/index.php/t-15052.html

17. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Any Chevy 12v Regulator will work.

18. Tim Payne

Tim Payne

19. Tim Payne

Tim Payne

20. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

It's hard to read the tag but the body looks like a 6 Volt Generator. Here's a photo of my 12 Volt Generator. Notice the difference in size and how it steps down (towards the bottom).
    51 truck Generator 12V.jpg

21. Looks like you have an Autolite 12v 35a generator probably off a Studebaker or Jeep. If your regulator is a Delco for a GM car, that's a likely place for the problem. (Could also be off a Mopar of some sort).

GJC-7002F (uses VRX-6008A regulator) 12V 35A

Echlin VR-206 (at Napa store) is the correct regulator for this generator.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  22. Tim Payne

Tim Payne

It's is a Delco regulator. Wow, thanks for the recommendation. Is that VR-206 a solid state regulator?

23. Doesn't look like it from the picture, but it doesn't specify on the spec. sheet. You could probably interchange the part number elsewhere or use the Autolite number.
    NWMTMB.jpg

24. Tim Payne

Tim Payne

Thanks, now I'm on a mission to find a solid state regulator that will work with an auto lite GJC-7002F generator

25. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

I went and looked @ my 55. The body of the generator has the step-down in it and the tag reads :
    Delco-Remy 1100324 1C21 12V

The regulator I am running is a NAPA Echlin VR122
    I'm not making any claims about these being correct for make/model/year but they are working together. Good Luck

26. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Motors manuals have the tag numbers for the generators if you would like to find out what it came off of.

27. Tim Payne

Tim Payne

Anyone have thoughts on installing a Wells VR715 solid state regulator with this Autolite GJC-7002F generator? It's been running for years with a Delco mechanical VR, so my hope is the VR715 will work fine.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015