Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Silent exhaust suggestions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Uni61, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Uni61

Uni61

Running a 223 Ford in 61 f100 looking to quiet her down. Has factory cast manifold and single dump under cab. Previous owner installed all new exhaust but still too damned loud for me. Anyone running delta 70 flowmasters? I'm looking for whisper quiet idle and as little cab noise as possible!

2. Get the stock muffler for a falcon or just about any turbo muffler and run your exhaust full length. Put the muffler back just in front of the rear axle.

3. squirrel

squirrel

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Uni61

Uni61

Hey guys thanks for the quick response. Falcon makes sense big time!

5. squirrel

squirrel

The Falcon muffler might be for a smaller pipe size.... if you measure the pipe size, then you can pick the right size muffler.

6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

If you want whisper quiet, I suggest that you just don't turn the key :D

7. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

We had an old 223 in a 54 Ford with six individual pipes ran out the Left Front fender (dirt car)...you dont really know what loud is.:)
    The old lady across the street had about the same car that was all stock (but I'm not sure that it was a 223) and you had to keep an eye out for her, because you could never hear her coming.Stock muffler, stock tailpipe, all the way out should be good for you.Good Luck

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Should be a cinch for any muffler shop. Run a stock type exhaust with stock type muffler. It will be as quiet as a pickup truck. If you want it quiet as a Cadillac, add a resonator.

Make sure the pipes and muffler are at least as large as stock. You don't need any particular brand, a good quality generic muffler is fine. This is where you have to be careful, a lot of muffler shops use thin cheap pipe and thin cheap mufflers and they don't stand up. You need a shop that does good work. Go heft the pipe they use and you will feel the difference in weight.

9. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

The problem might just be the dump under the cab.
    Maybe run that pipe to the back and add muffler as needed

10. Judd

Judd

2x on this.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All the way out the back or back corner of the bed with the tail pipe and it doesn't really matter what muffler you run it will be 100 % easier to live with. Personally If the mufflers are reasonably new I'd just have tail pipes put on it and see how that sounds as it may get real livable but still have some bark when you want it to.
    I know what you mean on that setup though as I have a buddy who has run that style of exhaust on his ot rig for the past 30 years and I can't stand to ride in the damned thing as the concussion gets to you after about five miles but that might be his driving too.

12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If it is still too noisy with a new muffler you may need to insulate the cab. Some good carpet with sound deadening padding underneath. Open up the door panels and glue a piece of sound deading material inside the door (a piece a foot square is fine). How about the roof, does it have a roof liner with some sound deadener? Old pickups were built for function first, and the maker did not pay attention to comfort and silence, not like they did with cars, or the more expensive cars anyway.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  13. They say, 'if its too loud, your too old'. :D
    No point in going deaf, or being uncomfortable.
    Like the others have said, full exhaust, and sound deadening and you should be good. :)

14. RmK57

RmK57

Tesla running gear should cure it.;)

czuch likes this.
  15. Fitting a turbo will quiet it right down

16. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I was just telling my wife I want to quiet-down my daily driver. I think I may get a pair of those Walker mufflers Squirrel posted up. I must be getting old......

17. i had to swop mufflers in my coupe, i went through the napa exhaust book and found the right in and outlet sizes in the largest muffler i could fit into the space. the book shows lengths, widths shape and pipe orientation also. worth the time spent for a quick swop.

18. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

I found some walker mufflers that were called hemi turbo mufflers. It was a turbo muffler but had a larger case.
    Those were really quiet for many years until either the fibre blew out or compressed in there.

I think those mufflers were advertised for larger trucks and motor homes

19. Uni61

Uni61

Thanks guys. I have plenty of loud hot rods in the garage old and new and I just think it would be a fun challenge to quiet an engine down to better than showroom new. If it had a v8 trust me it would be a different case. Thanks again for everyone's input!

20. 5window

5window

Reminds me of the old lady who was embarrassed but finally told her doctor that she suffered from passing silent gas and wondered if there was any help. The doctor answered that first they'd get her a hearing aid.

Seriously, has anybody ever posted on a hotrod site before and said their car was too noisy?

Hnstray likes this.
  21. I would suggest installing the muffler or mufflers as far to the rear as possible. This will do two things; help reduce noise under the cab, and shorten the tailpipes, putting more heat into them. I know modern pipe is better, but those long tailpipes on old Fords would rot off in no time because they didn't get hot enough.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  22. cartman4gc

cartman4gc

To get it really quiet, I've found it necessary to deal with intake noise. A tiny, open air cleaner lets out a lot of noise. that's why OEMs have baffles and snorkels.

23. stimpy

stimpy

thick pipes and the muffler far back in the system as possible also a later model 70-90's large car ( imperial / big merc's /cadillac muffler works good too as they have large inlets and flow nice plus they are quiet . I had a o/t car were we squeezed 2 big mufflers under and the motor made more mechanical noise than the exhaust . but the exhaust had little back pressure .

also when mounting the muffler keep some distance between the muffler side and the bed of the truck as the noise will transfer to the bed floor and can make a speaker out of it ( this is what happened on my O/T when they tucked the mufflers tight inside the frame rails . had to have them drop the system 6" down to quiet the booming noise . ( flowmaster 50 series deltas )

also might look on craigslist or salvage yard for a late model truck muffler as many people take them off , and they are quiet and non restrictive too . and some guys try to recoupe on the new louder system

24. PontiacPower67

PontiacPower67

I've seem some good advise already, but here is mine... FYI I did exhaust at a muffler shop for quite a few years in a past life...
    You want to do a couple things... 1st right after your pipe straightens out from the bend after your exhaust manifold (should be right before your cab floor boards) you want to install a resonator or small (12") glass pack. This will significantly lower the noise and inside the cab.
    2nd you want a stock replacement muffler (new one, you don't want a used one... Walker makes a good one for a good price) also any turbo muffler is nothing but a glorified stock replacement muffler (these are good too). The muffler should be placed somewhere after the cab, but before your rear axle.
    Contrary to what some people have said, you want to make sure you keep a good length tail pipe... The aluminized steel piping used nowadays will last a lifetime.
    If replacing the piping as we'll,

25. PontiacPower67

PontiacPower67

... As well you do not want to use anything larger than 2 1/4" for your six...

The entire system manifold to tip would run somewhere around $450... My best approximation

26. PontiacPower67

PontiacPower67

... Also For another option....
    Flowmaster makes a real cool (no pun intended)(even though it is self insulated with a shell to dissipate heat in tight spots)
    Called Hushpower...
    Nonrestrictive but not loud either....
    A little bit more pricey

27. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Had Hushpowers on my 40 coupe with SBC. They were so loud and raspy sounding I gave them away and put on some mufflers off of a early 2000's Mustang v8 a friend had removed for louder ones. Much nicer.

tb33anda3rd likes this.