Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods BIG REAR TIRES FOR HIGHBOY

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TANNERGANG, Aug 20, 2014.

1. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

265/70/17 on Full Fendered 5 Window I'm building....on 17" x 9.5" wheels 20140928_174152_resized_1.jpg

2. I am actually planning on running 235x70s on my current project ( because I have them) and hopefully 185 or 195x70s on the front. 8" rims and 5" rims. I don't know that it counts as a high boy as it is getting a mild channel but it will be fenderless at least for a while.

I am not one of the experts here just a guy with a plan.

I think one of the things that has killed the Big TAs is pro Touring, those guys are using an entirely different type of tire and it has become really popular. Tire companies want to make and sell in volume.

3. A Boner

A Boner

The main question with " big rear tires" is the DIAMETER or how TALL they are. The hard part is finding a TALL tire that is not too WIDE? The other problem is the load range.....light truck tires usually are load range "E" which has a quite stiff sidewall, a load range "D" is better.....and getting harder to find. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think car tires are a "C". I think tire manufactures are changing the load range designations to a different system, that I'm not familiar with.
    When suggesting a tall tire you have on your hot rod, please tell us how tall they are, and what is the width of the rim you have them mounted on.
    When dealing with tires for hot rods, as far as I'm concerned, 30" tall is the minimum, 31" is good, 32" is great.
    Every time I look, tire manufacturers are adding more low profile to their line, and dropping tall sidewall sizes. Buy them while you still can..... 85's are great 75's are ok and 70's are the minimum aspect ratio.

4. My 235x70s TAs are a little over 28 not quite 29 and have 8" of tread mounted on an 8" rim. If that is any help. They are a 15" tire.

I think that if you look to places like the diamond back catalog you can find tires that will suit you and then go to the dealer for those tires. At least the last catalog that they sent me listed the tire brand, and actual size of the tire.

It is difficult to find a 30" tire in a modern radial, they don't lend themselves to pushing hard into a corner and everyone either want to push 'em hard or at least make everyone think that they do. LOL

5. terry48435

terry48435

295-50R-15 May 3,2012 002.jpg May 3,2012 002.jpg May 3,2012 002.jpg

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hello, my name is Doug and I'm a tire and wheel addict.
    In all my years of fitting tires to my various projects; I gotta say that load ratings on tires was the farthest thing on my mind for criteria to choose a tire.
    99.9% of the time, clearance and looks (rubber rake) won out every time.
    Am I alone on this?

7. No. I'll never forgive BFG for halting production of their Sport Truck TA line. :mad: