Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Building a early '60s custom truck...what should my exhaust sound like?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ElBrujo, Aug 6, 2014.

1. I have done some research on here and have not really found an answer. So what was the hot set up in that time period?

2. LOUD and Crackly

3. That's what I'm meaning towards. Anybody else?

4. Pair of cherry bombs and pull cable cutouts.

5. Cherry bombs or glass packs...if it was a Flathead no mufflers at all. HRP

6. bobjob55

bobjob55

Go with the cherry bombs. ....get them good and hot ,, then stuff a house in them ... it will crystallize the fiberglass ,,, then when you run them ,, it will blow the glass out .... I have had the same ones on my '63 chevy carryall "burb" for 30 years now....
    Cable cut-Outs are a great idea too ......
    drive em like ya stole em

7. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Cherry bombs have only been disturbing the peace since 1968 so you may have to go with Smitty's. Also the sound depends greatly on the engine you are running.

Rodshop likes this.
  8. "Pair of cherry bombs and pull cable cutouts."

What are cable cut outs?

"Cherry bombs or glass packs...if it was a Flathead no mufflers at all. HRP"

It's just a LT1 SBC. Going in a '58 big window Fleetside.

" Go with the cherry bombs. ....get them good and hot ,, then stuff a house in them ... it will crystallize the fiberglass ,,, then when you run them ,, it will blow the glass out .... I have had the same ones on my '63 chevy carryall "burb" for 30 years now....
    Cable cut-Outs are a great idea too ......
    drive em like ya stole em"

Can you elaborate more on this? Sounds interesting.

"Cherry bombs have only been disturbing the peace since 1968 so you may have to go with Smitty's. Also the sound depends greatly on the engine you are running."

I should've elaborated more on this build. It will be a daily driver so ideally I would like to be able to switch from regular, every day driving tone to a "I just got home at 2 in the morning and I don't want my neighborhood to hate me quieter sound". If need be I will switch from the louder tone to a quieter one with one of those solenoids.

9. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

If you have a straight 6, open pipes. If a V8, Porters.

Both have that badazz period music, IMO.

10. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

idle...wub, wub, wub, wub
    launch...varooomWAAAAAAAAAAA!!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. HAHAHA!! I love it!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. luckystiff

luckystiff

Brockman steelpacks(or glasspacks)...

13. I know this is an old post but I just finished my 40 Ford PU build and I'm running a 53 Merc flatty with an Isky Max 1 and straight pipes. I must say the sound is classic flathead BUT....it's very loud inside the cab. I'm now considering Brockman Steelpacks. We shall see.

14. Smithy's x2 and pipes all the way to the back. Chery Bombs sound good but they were not around in the early '60s and don't really represent the early '60s sound wise. The part of the country I lived in by the early '60s no one wanted to admit that they were running a 6 not even the custom guys so the 6s were a little on the quiet side from what I recall.

Steel packs or straight pipes if you could get away with straight pipes were king in Nor Cal as I recall.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  15. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA