Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Can you fit a double bass in a Model A sedan?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jasper6120, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

Are sedans dimensionally any different from sedans? I like having back windows for vision but don't need the back seats. I'm thinking I'd go a sedan body and put a delivery door in there. I have gotten this bass into some tight spaces. It sits in the front seat of most cars fine. In my mind I see the bass going through the delivery door with the neck sandwiched between the two front seats. I'm seeing a friend today who's got a model a pickup, and I'll have my bass with me, so that might help me get an idea!

2. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I've got the A pickup in my avatar, aint no way you'd get a double bass in either the cab or the bed. I did slide my Jazz bass in it's hard shell case into the passenger seat though.

3. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

Maybe one large mouth and a couple small mouth!

papajohn and falcongeorge like this.
  4. I'm thinking you could if you don't mind using a hacksaw. :D HRP

5. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

Yes it would definitely not fit in either, but in a sedan would the body fit in the back with the neck between the two front seats?

6. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

That's a hard one. Maybe a 53 Packard?

7. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

I think one would fit in here for suuuure:
    Like I say - with the neck between the driver and passenger seat. Are the dimensions the same with the sedan and deliver models? I'd try having a sedan but without (or with folding) back seats and maybe put in a delivery door but I wouldn't unless it's essential. The speculation continues.

8. 97

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  9. No. Well not in mine anyway. The front seats are way to close together. However, if it was done as a sedan-delivery with a rear door and no back seats I think it would be possible with the passengers seat folded forward. I have'nt actually tried to get my bass in mine because I also carry an amp, a PA system, a monitor system and a light rig.

Chili Phil and kiwijeff like this.
  10. Jasper6120

Jasper6120
    from Australia

If you do get a chance to fit it in I'd enjoy seeing how it might be achievable.

11. You are approaching this from the wrong end, invent a folding neck bass and problem solved.

12. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Both of my Sons are sax players, and Don plays the Baritone. Last night he was heading to a gig and took his T bucket, so he put the Barry and all his stands in the seat next to him and went on his way.

Where there is a will there is a way. :D

Don

13. They are both based on the same body. HRP

14. Brentphx

Brentphx

Those have been around for a white....these guys will convert yours to removable neck for ~600. They also sell the weedwacker strings that save your fingers if you slap at all.

http://store.gotofmi.com/uprightbass.html

15. yruhot

yruhot

How about a custom apparatus Designed to adapt to the drop down steamer rack on the rear of a model A.Bass would stand vertical on rack and some kind of roof rack up top to secure neck area. Security would be a concern but you are on your own for that. Just me two cents worth.

16. yruhot

yruhot

How about a custom apparatus Designed to adapt to the drop down steamer rack on the rear of a model A.Bass would stand vertical on rack and some kind of roof rack up top to secure neck area. Security would be a concern but you are on your own for that. Just me two cents worth.

17. yruhot

yruhot

18. I have not tried it but I can give you this information. There was a string bass player here in KC back in the '70s, played in a blues band and did some noodling with some of the local jazz bands. He drove an A Tudor mostly stock and carried his bass with him. I never looked in so see how it fit but the fact that he drove an A bone was an eye catcher for some of us.

19. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

They did make other cars besides Fords, and most of them were bigger. Something like a Chrysler or Buick would have plenty of room.