Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A Update On A Old Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Canuck, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Canuck

Canuck

Just a short update, just to show that I have not been sleeping (just taking short naps) .

First project post was way back when:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/a-nailhead-a-coupe-a-roller.91692/
    boy does that seem like a long time ago.

On any build, I feel that there are some activities that seem to be major mileposts. For me the first time the frame rolled with axles and wheels was the first, then the first fit of the body, then the engine. One day it will be the first drive down the street. For now I have to enjoy the first application of paint, real paint not primer. Using PPG LP40LF as a primer and BESA Polyurethane Enamel for final paint.

Been spending lots of time cleaning Tremclad off various parts that I had previously marked as done and cleaning surface rust off parts that were set aside as ready to paint and install. So far have cleaned, washed, tacked off, epoxy primed and painted over 100 small parts, ranging in size from a rear differential to an individual bolts. Had to do this in lots of 30 – 40 pieces as there is only so much room to hang the parts for drying. Now to wrap the parts to insure they are not damaged before they can be installed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The sheet metal is in high build primer and blocked with 320 so close to ready as well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Drive shaft, exhaust, fuel lines, brake lines, E-brake cables, steering, shift linkage, dropped headlight bar are all done and sitting in storage. Just trans cooler lines to go.

Frame needs some final welding on areas that were on underside or hard to get at locations then paint. Should be done in next week or so. Then the sheet metal will come in for final paint while frame starts to get assembled.

For those that think it will be on the road soon, still have the interior to do, seeing as I haven't done that kind of work for quite a few years, it may take a while.

For a summary of things that have taken place in-between, check my blog where I catalogue happenings as they happen.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Looking good! Will be one nice hot rod when done.

3. bartmcneill

bartmcneill
    from Ada, OK

You must be putting in a big engine with the firewall both reversed and recessed. It looks great.

4. Canuck

Canuck

Just another short update on my (Canuck’s) Model A coupe.

The sheet metal came in for final paint while frame gets finished being assembled. As it sits now the frame is very close to finished.

[​IMG]

Setting it aside at this point was hard, but have to take advantage of the weather to get as much painting done as possible. Hopes were dashed somewhat as the weather turned cold sooner than normal. With the temperatures below freezing and snow on the ground, it is impossible to keep the air warm in my shop to do much in the way of painting. A bit of a talk with my friend Pete Kroeker at DMK Customs and I was able to convince him to help out. We moved the body parts to his shop and paint booth and he shot them for me. Sure is nice to have friends when you need them.

Pete did the body work and paint on my two previous cars and created this custom Chevy for himself:

[​IMG]

The paint job turned out great, better than my expectations. Unfortunately my old digital camera didn’t like all that color and decided to only take black and white pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Drive shaft, exhaust, steering, shift linkage, dropped headlight bar and a pile of small parts are all done and sitting in storage. Just paint the engine and the trans cooler lines to go.
    [​IMG]

For a summary of things that have taken place in-between, check my blog where I catalogue happenings as they happen.

Canuck

5. hoop

hoop

Very nice ! I really like what you did to the firewall!

6. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I like that you are running 28-29 front fenders on the coupe, they have a nicer shape than the 30-31 fenders. I'm doing a 30 Sport Coupe with a flathead and have painted the chassis black like yours, last one I painted chassis body color think it looks better black.

7. richie rebel

richie rebel

canuck,like to talk to about an old post concerning that old tach 765 you had,but more about the sending unit,don't see a way to pm you with this new up date to this form

8. Canuck

Canuck

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Canuck

9. Good looking coupe. HRP

10. Work looks good. What is the color?

11. Canuck

Canuck

Just another short update on my (Canuck’s) Model A coupe.

The frame gets finished being assembled. As it sits now the frame is very close to finished.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Drive shaft, exhaust, steering, shift linkage, dropped headlight bar and a pile of small parts are all done and are being re-assembled. Just painted the engine and the trans cooler lines. A few more small details to clean up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I feel that I should just give it and be done, but I would rather take it easy and make sure every detail is done to my satisfaction and no short-cuts taken.

For a summary of things that have taken place in-between, check my blog where I catalogue happenings in more detail, as they happen.

30 Ford Coupe Build

desotot likes this.
  12. desotot

desotot

Nice, is that a 401?

13. Canuck

Canuck

Last of the great ones, a 425

Canuck

14. Looks good,I too know all about long term projects. HRP

15. desotot

desotot

I have a 65 425 in my merc, these engines have a nice sounding idle and lots of torque.

16. Roadsir

Roadsir

Looks great!. A 425 will make that little A get up an go!

17. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Hey, cool to see "part 2" . I'm following you for inspiration, as your old thread had so many great details & ideas.
    Keep the pics goin

18. Canuck

Canuck

Just another short update on my (Canuck’s) Model A coupe. February 21, 2015

Engine and trans painted and re-installed. Exhaust and mufflers, Brake lines, fuel lines, tranny cooler lines, battery cables installed. Went a little crazy and got a couple of hand-fuls of stainless bolts and removed the manufacturer’s marks on the head and gave them a satin polish. Got a little paranoid and installed a bunch of heat shielding near the exhaust system to protect the brake and fuel and wiring systems. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Installed the custom made stainless dash trim on the dash (sorry no pictures yet). Dropped the body back onto the frame.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally starting to look like a HOT ROD. I know the rear is still a little on the high side. Planning to put some weight in the trunk and passenger compartment to simulate the finished weight then do some tweeking to the rear spring off a 41 Ford, still has the full pack installed.

Unfortunately my old digital camera still doesn’t like all that color and decided to only take black and white pictures.

Fenders and roof insert will have to wait till warm weather returns to this part of the world. Still have to do the underside of the fenders in Raptor Bed Liner http://www.u-pol.co.uk/product-cat/83/raptor™-bed-liner.htm the same as the underside of the body and try to find a suitable adhesive here in Canada for the roof insert.

30 Ford Coupe Build

Canuck

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  19. Canuck

Canuck

Just a bit of a update on the build of my coupe.

Well the body has finally been mated back onto the frame. Those two have been apart for a long time.

Modified air cleaner has been completed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And YES I did swap out the 35 radius rods for a 4-bar set up from Welder Series. As stated there just wasn't enough room under the car to squeeze everything in, especially with the rear axle top sitting above the bottom of the frame rail. The radius rods will be on the market soon. Kind of looks like this now:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Have seen numerous inquiries from guy wondering how to determine final ride height and had them myself. Thought you guys might get a laugh out of my solution. Bottom line it worked.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bags of water softener salt to mimic weight of passengers, seats, gas, batteries etc.

Doors are re hung and latches and window regulators re-installed. Window channels installed. Final templates were made to get the glass cut from. Harold G did a super job cutting the glass, Solex tint all around. Glass is installed and actually fits. the windshield was a fun job, not as easy as it sounds to get the glass down into the channel. Now I just have to find that HAMB sticker I bought so many years ago for this car.

[​IMG]

Tail lights installed. Wiring being run from back trunk area to cockpit. This will look after the lights, fuel gauge, remote solenoid and battery. Spending a lot of time installing terminal strips and routing locations for the wiring, making sure that the wire is protected from heat and abrasion and any other damage.

[​IMG]
    Since the headlights are not Model A headlights I need a conduit from the grill to the headlight. I am also installing a heavier gauge wire and included wires for park and turn signals and a ground wire so a lot of the commercially available conduits will not work. Solution, make your own.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Spent a lot of time polishing a cowl band given me by a friend, only to discover that it has a twist that will be very hard to remove, ordered a new repro in the interest of expediency. Also found that my radiator support rods are too short. Have to lengthen then by about one quarter of an inch. When they were made I didn’t have a hood top to set the length with.

The fenders, running boards and splash aprons are in storage, painted and had Raptor bedliner sprayed on the underside to protect them from stone damage. Just waiting to finish the roof decking install and misc details under the hood, then they can be installed.

[​IMG]

Roof decking is nearly complete, installed a layer of closed cell Landau top foam then the repro top vinyl. Finished tacking it all around and in the process of installing the aluminum trim around the edge.

[​IMG]
    Top trim being bent to shape.
    [​IMG]

Still a million details to finalize. Pieces to do final fitting. Parts that still require finishing and bits and pieces to buy. This is always a busy time of year, all the fall yard clean up, garden harvested, lawn mower removed from yard tractor and snow blower installed and the Malibu put away for the winter. No Harley to worry about this year, sold it this spring.
    [​IMG]

Canuck

Rich B. likes this.
  20. Glad to see that Fram filter got replaced with a quality one somewhere along the way. Excellent build. You will have one fine quality ride when you are finished.

21. Genes12320

Genes12320

It is looking great!