Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1932 Ford "survivors"....how about a regsistry of sorts?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Standard32, Sep 15, 2015.

1. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

2. cheap-n-dirty

cheap-n-dirty

dirt bike 7-30-04 005 (800x533).jpg here is my truck. from what I was told when I got it in'83 it was hot rodded in Passadena, Ca. in '57.

3. Oldbill51

Oldbill51

I believe you would be very hard pressed to find any nicer 32 survivors than those belonging to Dan Web of Michigan. I meet Dan at a Friday night cruise this past summer driving the 3 window, a stunning example and very nice guy. Dan Web 32 3W 2.jpg Dan Web 32 3W.jpg Dan Web 32 Christmas card.jpg

4. Andy

Andy

Not much changed from the 50's except wheels and tires P1010899.JPG

5. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

What are those tail lights? My dad has something similar in his coupe.. Never seen another car with those

6. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

IMG_20150519_212728.jpg This little gem live up the street from me! This pic was about a year ago. And was the first time since the fifties it's had its photo taken

7. Southfork

Southfork

Got a Bonneville chop survivor '32 three window coupe out in the shop that was lightened and raced on the California dry lakes in the late 50's, Profilefromrear[1].JPG and also drag raced as a fuel coupe in the early 60's. It's still basically in its racing configuration, with plexiglass windows and stripped interior.. It has not gone through multiple evolutions as many or most of the old hot rods did. Over the years I've tried to find out more of its history. It was supposedly raced a Sangus Speedway near the end of its racing career, and was sold out of California in the late 70's. I've had it since the late 80's and have not turned a nut on it since I've had it.

8. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

More pics I think I just fell in love

9. Birdog...;You have that right we need to see more of this old hot rod of Southfork's

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'd say some people have different ideas on what is and what is not a "survivor".

I'd say this one did not survive.

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and birdog like this.
  11. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

It will buff out!

12. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

This one did survive, but it ain't mine, but it is the car that got me all hot and bartered about Traditional hot rod's in the first place!!

The Ronald Larson 32 roadster.
    More pics on kustomrama.

Attached Files:

13. Southfork

Southfork

Well, I guess I have another pic of my Lakes Racer "survivor" I can post. Not the best picture, but my digital camera is itself an antique. I think my '32 greatly resembles the John Barnes coupe (Orange Ca), which I will try to post a picture of as well. I understand that the John Barnes "survivor" had also been in a lightened race configuration before being minimally JacksVintageDryLakesCoupe[1].JPG John Barnes Rad Cp Orange CA like mine.jpg restored. My coupe came with a flathead too.

14. DAM! Southfork, that 3 window looks a lot like the one I found a year or so ago and am building at this time. Looks like about the same had ass chop. Mine came out of south sue city Nebraska back in the late 50's. You can check out by build page on it on the HAMB.
    You need to get to work on this great old hot rod.......If not is it for sale???? It needs to be finished and put back on the road.........

15. titus

titus

Loiue Labossiere's 32 ford coupe
    A (6).JPG
    Ed wards 1932 ford roadster
    2013031595190345.jpg the John Clark 32 ford fordor
    downsized_0412031256.jpg

16. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

image.jpg I'm not big on patina but I think that car would look great with the paint just rubbed out and left alone , and just paint chassis firewall and components , whoever chopped that car looks like they had a good eye!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

I'll throw in my cabriolet. Built in the fifties. JohnnyA

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The original criteria:
    "somehow managed to escape the various "fads" over the years"
    I'd say hardly any of the cars posted meet this criteria...

19. 1932tub

1932tub

20. clem

clem

image.jpg
    you would be wrong, - here is it now, above and below. image.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. titus

titus

To me the original posters intent for this post was for 32 ford Hot Rod Survivors to be posted, which would mean a car that hasnt been changed since it was built as a hot rod, like the 3 cars i posted above, maybe he wasnt clear on exactly what he meant but the car above to me isnt not a survivor hot rod, it is how ever a survivor, it was saved from being parted out of junked, a have 4 32 coupes, 3 of which were basically in the same condition as the one above started, 2 were old hot rods but ive never considered them survivors.

clem, Standard32, X38 and 4 others like this.
  22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

as I said, some people have a different view of what a survivor is. the car was completely rebuilt from scraps. that is not a survivor. survivors are cars that survived mostly intact, either original or old HOT RODS

clem and falcongeorge like this.
  23. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

I agree with Titus on this one.

clem likes this.
  24. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

clem and birdog like this.
  25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

^^this. But hey, we have already bastardized 3/4 of the hot rod vocabulary, may as well finish off the remaining 25%. "Barn Finds" that were "found" on ebay, "gassers" that never have and never will see a drag strip, "NOS" offy parts that are still in production, and on and on and on and....

clem and volvobrynk like this.
  26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Titus, that black 32 with the cycle fenders is unreal, a total time capsule. THATS a survivor.

27. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

So now I am wondering is mine survivor? cause some kid sanded on it in the 60's and ruined the paint. Then sprayed some awful rattle can primer on it? Or is it a survivor cause it was ran through the forties tell 57 then never ran on the street again?

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Did you change the wheels, engine, stance, pull off cycle fenders ect? Have you done anything to fundamentally change its overall look? If you have, then in my books its not. If its basically preserved with the original builders intent 100% intact, then I would call it a survivor. If you re-painted it, but in the same colour the original builder used, or re-did old plating, that's still a survivor. If you decided the original blue or yellow was 'ghey" and black was more "traditional", or pulled a late fifties 283 out and replaced it with a flathead, or unchanneled it because your buds on the HAMB say channeled cars aren't "cool" then its not.
    But hey, that's just my definition, so...Some guys will define it even tighter than that, but to me, as long as the car is basically intact, and follows what the original builder did, I'd call it a survivor. If a bunch of stuff has been changed from the original intent, its not.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  29. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

One picture is teasing, do you want your friends to think you are a tease?

Please post a link to this thread, or more pics!!!!

Yes the definition is out of wack.
    There are some nice survivor and some of then is SO nice, there is just something about Cycle fenders, need bars, bobbed fenders, channel/no chop, and spring behind front, is so era perfect and nobody takes the time to do it right, not even on an otherwise era perfect rod. And that is a little sad. If I ever find a nice Model A roadster or coupe, that I can afford I wants to do just that.

But people goes and pull the fenders of a survivor, I never get that.
    There was a guy on here that bought a nice a channelled roadster survivor.
    And startet to pull fenders, nerfbar and unchannel, and I belive he took that very nice blue paint job off it, to paint it black and read. That just don't agree with me.

But I know I'm weird, I hear it all day long from my collegues. That can understand why people can drive anything older then 6-8 years.
    Sad.

30. socal34

socal34