Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects update-added a hood to my roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by MIKE-3137, May 17, 2014.

1. 1932tub

1932tub

2. Muttley

Muttley

I am not a big fan of the DuVall style windshield (on any car, not just yours specifically) but I do think if you are going to run one (and obviously you are) a hood is a must.

3. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

Started the process at least, slipped in a longer center hinge rod so I could get a more accurate picture of what i'm up against. The three old rods were fun to get out, and the hood has lost its curve like they usually do, this one had been stored for decades. I'll have to carefully bend it back into shape. Looks like the stretch is going to be closer to 2" Had to bend up a little temporary grill tab, until the one I ordered comes in. I have to think about the spacing of the hinge loops on the end and getting the curve right against the shell before I start cutting and welding the pieces. not sure if this will be harder or easier than it looks..[​IMG][​IMG]

4. I have done this both ways. A good and I mean really good welder will be able to add what you need and not warp the hell out of it. I have also had a full custom made aluminum hood made. I like the aluminum hood much better than the one with the added pieces. Good Luck

5. flthd31

flthd31

Attached Files:

6. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

Exactly...And thanks for the link, I like the 32 style center hinge too, that would eliminate dealing with the loops..

7. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

Started fitting the pieces off the old parts hood to stretch mine the needed 2 inches..Man, I envy you guys that can whip something like this up in a few minutes...This represents about 5 hours so far for me, but I am working slow, as I didn't want to cut too much off at once. I did find my grill was off center a bit, so had to take care of that issue first....Its getting there at least, hood sides should be a lot easier.....I emailed Sache about the 32 style hinge, and will probably go to that later, but for now I'll stay with the stock A piano hinge [​IMG][​IMG]

-Brent- likes this.
  8. Piano piano, you'll get there. It's not a race, but it is looking better already.

9. Slow and easy wins the race!!:rolleyes:

10. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

Pretty much built now...ended up being a 2 1/2 inch stretch...still a little tweaking to do...straighten a few louvers, cleanup some welds and finish body work. but I really like the new look. Thanks for the suggestions and comments....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Squablow

Squablow

I like it. I'm typically a no-hood guy, but this looks really good on this car, and I agree with whoever said the windshield makes more sense with a hood. Very nice work.

12. Good to see, really sharpens up the car overall.

13. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

it looks like the louver spacing would "appear" more centered if you added to the rear. on a deuce hood the body line ends at a subtle point before the grill shell so if you add to front you could just finish the body line with a bullnose right before the front end of your add on piece . i see a good reason to do it both ways so i am of no help !!!!!

14. Hagan (haganauto.com) may still make what you need. Any length with matching 30-31 cowl bead. They had some neat jig fixture to roll contours, etc. They don't show them on their site, but a call would work. Oh yeah, a lot cheaper then Rootlieb!!

15. flthd31

flthd31

Well done. Really looks good on there.

16. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

A follow up on an old post, Got busy with other things and just now got around to finishing up my hood project, extending a stock hood a little over 2" I think it was worth the effort, but I think next time I'd probably have one made....I have way too many hours in it, most of that due to it not being that straight to begin with. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Malcolm, -Brent-, volvobrynk and 4 others like this.
  17. That looks really good.

MIKE-3137 likes this.
  18. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I know what your saying, instead of buying a $150 transmission mount, I modified the original mount on my 48 Chevy, I spent a lot of time welding and fitting that mount, it would be easier to buy one but its cool when you also do it yourself. You did a very good job.

MIKE-3137 and volvobrynk like this.
  19. Parts can always be bought, but theirs a little more pride in making it yourself. Great job.

MIKE-3137 likes this.
  20. Deadelvis2000

Deadelvis2000
    from Austin, TX

......and you made it with all original factory hood parts. That's respectable. Nice work.

MIKE-3137 likes this.
  21. HD Driver

HD Driver

#46, great looking roadster!

MIKE-3137 likes this.
  22. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

Thanks!...Here's a final pic..[​IMG]

Now it's time to get rolling on the 34 Pickup, lots of work and parts chasing for it...

waxhead and volvobrynk like this.
  23. wagoon78

wagoon78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow. Looks great.

MIKE-3137 likes this.
  24. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

That turned out great - nice work!

MIKE-3137 likes this.
  25. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

As others have stated above, looks great, outstanding work.

MIKE-3137 likes this.
  26. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Wow, love that car. Hood looks great!

MIKE-3137 likes this.