Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Change gauge face

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by airbrushguy, Oct 7, 2015.

1. airbrushguy

airbrushguy
    from NJ

I have some old Steart Warner gauges I would like to put in my Hudson dash panel but I don't like the fact that the gauge lettering is obviously different. I know I could re letter it to match if I could only open the gauges from their chrome bezels.
    Does anyone know how to ope the cases without damaging the bezels etc. ?
    Thanks

2. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Use a paint can opener, and be real patient and careful. If access to a lathe you can make a jig to roll the bezel back on. There might be slight damage overall.

falcongeorge likes this.
  3. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

I did it for the same reason years ago, and decided to leave the bezels intact. I cut through the body of the gauge about 1/2" below the bezel. (carefully!). After changing out the face, I made a steel sleeve about an inch wide and used a little epoxy to repair it. Didn't touch the chrome or crack the glass that way. Incidentally, that method also works to mate a modern gauge to an old face.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Hnstray and shivasdad like this.
  4. fleetside66

fleetside66

You've got my curiosity aroused. I can remove and replace most bezels with some small hand tools, but I could never dream of relettering the graphics. I'm also curious to know what style gauges you're dealing with and exactly what you're trying to match. Do tell us more! Maybe a pic or two?

5. I actually take my stuff to a speedometer shop, they have a tool for opening them up. When I am done with the gauge face I go back and have it reassembled. Cost is minimal and I don't trash a gauge.

6. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

Now you tell me!

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  7. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Hnstray likes this.
  8. airbrushguy

airbrushguy
    from NJ

Sounds terrific, but I have no idea where a speedometer shop is in NJ.

9. MORRISGAUGE

MORRISGAUGE

I don't think most speedometer shops would be interested in the unrolling and rolling of bezel for clients to service their own gauges. We don't. You might try Nisonger, they are near New Jersey.

10. Just google it, Most major cities have a speedo shop.

Funny I have never had a problem getting a speedo shop to open up a gauge for me, even in the Pacific North West. Maybe people just do things for me that they normally wouldn't do for other people. ;)