Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Quick change spring bind

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bdave_mcc, Oct 8, 2015.

1. bdave_mcc

bdave_mcc

Installing kiwi quickchange, has anyone experienced any problems with the rear spring or shackles after installing one? I've seen offset hangers but I assume those are for using a v8 rear in an A. And I dislike the idea of cutting good perches off of the A housings. I can only imagine that this bind in the shackle will lead to premature bushing wear or worse.

2. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Why is the Quickchange any different than the original banjo?

Is the angle of the torque tube different to compensate for the offset in the lower shaft/pinion centerlines?
    How about a picture?

3. bdave_mcc

bdave_mcc

The quick change tilts the rear axle 5 degrees to the rear. Derek , the guy that has these made acknowledges this as he knows the radius rods won't fit without modification, or as he instructs, swapping sides with the rods. But says nothing about the rear spring being an issue. Looking at it now I'm thinking at the very least I need to get rid of the stock style shackles and get aftermarket style ones.

4. bdave_mcc

bdave_mcc

5. Not knowing all the details; but couldn't you just heat the hanger up and twist it into alignment.

6. bdave_mcc

bdave_mcc

I'm gonna be heading that direction I guess...right now I'm p'd I'm gonna have to take it back down but unless there's another solution I will be bringing out the torch.

7. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I think the torch is a wonderful idea.

As a retired Autoshop teacher one of the first things my students learned was, "Heat is magic!"

thirtytwo likes this.