Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1949 plymouth fastback

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by mcyunger, Oct 7, 2015.

1. mcyunger

mcyunger

we just bought this 49 plymouth and we like your input on styling ideas, driveline choices, and the overall look. we have some ideas but are open to suggestions.

Attached Files:

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

We have been over this before... the flathead six is a good engine and has some hop up potential. Can be replaced with the larger DeSoto/Chrysler flathead six. There are advantages to keeping the stock drive line, this is not an easy car to put a V8 in because of steering box clearance, and if you go V8 you pretty much have to replace the whole drive line.

The stock engine is not difficult or expensive to fix and you can have a lot of fun for not too much money.

As for looks and style, that is for you to decide. These days cars like that are rare enough that the stock look with possibly some mild lowering will turn some heads.

I'm a believer in not over matching yourself especially at first. Would like to see you get it on the road even in mild, near stock form and go from there. A lot of guys start out with big dreams and take forever to get done if they get done at all. Better to get it on the road and have some fun, then see what you like and don't like about it.

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

O ya 2 things you need to know about: 6 volt positive ground electrics, and left hand threads on the left side wheel bolts.

Both have cause grief but don't need to, as long as you are aware of them.

4. isn't this a HOT ROD site? a small block (any brand)moved to the pass side 1"-2" should clear the box with the right exhaust manifold. or you can adapt a cavalier rack and pinion and use about any engine. rear sump works best. there is a lot of info on this site if you search for it. also p15-d24.com has lots of good info. those are good looking cars! the fatheads are very cool when hopped up!

desertdroog likes this.

5. vwdave30

vwdave30

Im thinkin ditch the bumper guards. move the license plate down to the bumper with a 49 chevy front license plate guard. Smooth out trunk lid. Mold the rear fenders to the body. And shave the side chrome. Find some fender skirts for it and lower it with the ass lower than the front.....

6. 'Mo

'Mo

This, and maybe some low mounted '50 Merc tail lights.
    I'd also keep the 6. (Though a slant 6 might be interesting.)

vwdave30 likes this.
  7. vwdave30

vwdave30

Some ideas

Attached Files:

8. 1936dodge

1936dodge

That chopped 4 door was owned by Leroy French.His dad owned a Mopar dealer.

9. 'Mo

'Mo

George Cerny's '50 wagon had a nice hand made grille shell.
    You could fab up something similar with exhaust tubing.

How about sharing some of your thoughts?

[​IMG]

desertdroog likes this.
  10. First off, cool car! I love fastbacks from the late 40s-early 50s. I'm with Rusty O'Toole. Get it running and driving before you do anything major. While the flat 6 is no powerhouse, it is a fun motor, simple to work on and not commonly found at the local car shows. Dual carb manifolds and dual exhaust manifolds are available as well as some other speed parts. Adapter plates are also available to swap different transmissions in there if you wanted.

I would put some lowering blocks in the back, cut a coil from the front springs, swap the hubcaps, and drive & enjoy it as you start gathering parts & ideas.

Good luck & be sure to post your progress here!

firstinsteele likes this.
  11. Torchie

Torchie

Good start to a mild custom. You already have the much sought after ripple bumpers and recessed rear plate. :)
    Lower it. Add skirts and maybe some spotlights. Shave the hood and trunk for sure and yes perhaps some changes to the grill. Loose the badging as well. And possibly the door handles although I am running handles on my custom.
    Lots of options for tail lights and I would leave the bumper guards
    As far as the drive train goes I tend to like to leave them stock or at least some thing vintage but that's just me.
    Nice to see a Plymouth get the treatment....
    Torchie

12. mcyunger

mcyunger

i like your ideas, really like the slant six idea, plus room around the engine for steering. if i ever wanted to sell it would the slant six hurt the sale?

13. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love these cars. When I was in high school, a neighbor had one that was mildly customized. I think his was a '50 Dodge. It was a great car with mild lowering and duals and looked so good that we didn't care how fast it was. Please don't do anything radical with it. (BTW, I'm sorry to say that I think the two earlier examples shown (especially the chopped four-door with the Olds grille) are both Uuugly!)

14. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Slant six not a good swap to an old Mopar. They are a lot longer than the flathead and hard to fit in. A small V8 or V6 fits easier.

Much as I hate to admit it, a Chev V8 fits about the easiest of any V8. Although I don't know anyone who has tried a Ford 302.

15. 'Mo

'Mo

This link has some good info on installing a slant six into a 1948 Plymouth. I would think that much will apply
    to the '49, as well. http://www.cascadepacificplymouth.org/510westphalswap.html

[​IMG]

Here's one going into a 1950 Dodge.

[​IMG]

Done deed.

[​IMG]

As far as hurting the resale value, any changes will depend on finding the right buyer.
    But it certainly wouldn't hurt in my book. (Though I personally would use the flathead, if possible.)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    scotty t likes this.
  16. desertdroog

desertdroog

You can drop any Mopar LA series engine in there from the lowly 318 to a 5.9 roller Magnum if you offest the engine to the passengers side by 1 1/2 inches like Scotty T said. Also you can get an engine mount set up to do EXACTLY that from:
    http://www.butchscoolstuff.com/ply-dodge-1928-1956/

Disc brake setup if you want(both OldGuy and Scarebird are members here):
    http://rustyhope.com/site/ <-OldGuy
    https://scarebird.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=64 <-Scarebird

Also you can get a 2001 Jeep Cherokee sway bar, flip it and mount it with minimal work for a 1 inch sway bar conversion up front. (Credit to member gimpyshotrods)

17. earlymopar

earlymopar

The late 40's to early 50's fastbacks are so neat (I always referred to them as "first generation Barracudas"!). A Polysphere (A-series) 318 would be my first choice for that and possibly with a Dakota 5-speed.
    - EM

18. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

There appears to be a lot of that car left ,nice find.Before I did anything else I would clean it up and try to get it running as is.If the engine is OK I would keep it.Those are good,durable engines and look and sound cool with a twin carb manifold and split exh. If needed they are not that expensive to overhaul.

19. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Lots of suggestions on what you could do with your car.
    I'd rather start with questions.

Is the flathead 6 still there? Does it turn over? Does it run? Do you even care about the flathead 6? Like said earlier, an engine upgrade will result in a complete drive line update. Being a Mopar guy, I'd be putting a Mopar V6 or V8 in there, if I was upgrading. An auto or stick is a personal preference, (my current ride is a V6, 5 speed). Update the rear axle without a 2nd thought, those rear brake drums are a pita, on a good day.

Are there current brakes, and are they OK? It is less expensive to update to disc brakes then it is to do much of anything to the original brakes, and you end up with much better brakes. I've already covered the rear axle & brakes.

What do you think would be cool? You must have had some sort of vision before you dragged it home. Build that! Gene

20. Chad49

Chad49

I have the exact same car! Hence why I found your post obviously. I'm looking to customize, so I'll be sure to keep up with you as well! I bought it coming with a 1955 Plymouth Savoy Motor.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

504640 likes this.
  21. 'Mo

'Mo

No action on this thread for a year. No access to poster's profile, either.
    How about a new thread from you?

22. backwoods96

backwoods96
    from Mead, Wa.

I like your avatar , I am working on a 1952

23. Chad49

Chad49

I'd love to make one but unfortunately I'm new and could use a little help

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app