Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Early pickup roadster project

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 23dragster, Oct 5, 2015.

1. 23dragster

23dragster
    from U.S.

So after a brief but seemingly long (2 year) vacation from building rods... (got a new job)... This new build will be slower than the last one but I'm back for more!
    I recently purchased a late 20's/early 30's pickup cab. $500 and it was mine. She's in pieces, but I already have plans of SBC power with zoomies, Model A spoked wheels or Moons, on a traditional leaf spring frame; although it will be a low budget build.
    Would any of you know how to identify this pickup truck? It has an oval rear window. I was told it was a 1930 GMC, but it doesn't look like one from the looks of the rear window to me. Any clues?
    (I attached 3 pictures).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  2. 23dragster

23dragster
    from U.S.

Also, what are everyone's thoughts on building vs buying a Speedway T bucket frame for this truck?

3. Squablow

Squablow

Not sure what it is, but looks kinda big to go on a T bucket frame, maybe a Model A style frame would fit better. Bare stock A frames can still be had for a couple hundred bucks and would make a real nice start on a home built chassis for this build.

4. 53 ford

53 ford

I think Dodge and Plymouth had oval windows.

5. 23dragster

23dragster
    from U.S.

It's a little wider and longer than a T body, although from what I've found a '30 GMC pickup had a 102" wheelbase (which is the same as the Speedway basic T frame wheelbase). I do have a Model A frame that I got with it, although it's pretty rusty but I'll see if I can make use of that first.
    I'll have to look at those years of Dodge and Plymouth again as I couldn't find any with such a small oval window as this truck. Thanks guys!

6. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I had a 29 Chevy. It had a square window.

7. What kind of tires are you gonna run on those wheels?

8. welcome back.....have fun !

9. 23dragster

23dragster
    from U.S.

Mhm, square or rectangular windows is what I'm finding. I honestly don't mind if it's an out of business body manufacturer from way back when, but it'd be nice to know the history behind it. Got the right side door hinge tacked on today.
    I don't have wheels for it yet, but probably skinny Firestone "zig zags", or whatever they're called. (The ones that look like bias ply).
    *New pic of door attached.
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      156 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2015