Register now to get rid of these ads!

New here, and just getting started... (Portland Oregon Area)

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Eddie.P, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Eddie.P

Eddie.P
    1. A-D Truckers

Hello everyone.
    I am only just beginning my first true project vehicle, and wanted to introduce myself.

About me.
    Im a 27 year old living in Sherwood Oregon with my wife and 2 kids (2 & 4 years old).
    After growing up in the suburbs and beginning our parenting years there we decided to move outside of the city.
    We just recently bought a home on 5 acres of land/forest. We are thrilled with the change but are learning a ton in the process. One thing became clear...we needed a truck...on a budget

Here she is on our property
    [​IMG]

The truck.
    I spent my college years daily driving and working on a Jeep Wrangler. It was a ton of fun, but a constant battle to keep it going.
    As we had kids, we purchased a family friendly vehicle and the Wrangler got set aside. It didn't move much for a few years and now that we have a farm, trading it in for a truck sounded right.

I began scouring craigslist for what kind of trucks would fit in our tiny budget.
    After months of looking I found someone willing to do a straight across trade. My '93 Wrangler for his '54 Chevy.
    [​IMG]

The Chevy had already had a lot of work done (some things I would not have done the same way but other tasks I would not have been able to myself)

Before I got it.
    The PO used a 1977 c10 as a donor truck. Nearly everything but the body and interior were used for the swap.The frame was shortened to match the '54 and the entire drivetrain/frame/steering & electrical system was harvested.
    The '54 cab was then dropped on to the new frame and re-assembled, and shot with primer (im making this sound much easier than it probably was for him)

This is where it became my truck.

Thanks to all his work, my time spent has been making her road worthy:

Replace master cylinder/Unfreeze rear drums
    Clear fuel lines/replace filter
    Replace the leaking gaskets...everywhere
    Replace sticking thermostat and flush system
    Fix engine timing/tune carb
    Fix brake pedal mounting...so it actually works
    Reinstall stock gauges and enable the crucial ones (temp/fuel/speedo)
    Get lights/signals working
    Re-attach side mirrors,rearview, glovebox, ashtray, emblems, etc

All that said, this weekend the insurance went into effect and she was finally steady enough to test out!
    First test was to the lumber store...as it should be!
    2nd was a trip to work.

She made both trips respectably.

Although with young kids, farm life, and a woodworking I don't have a ton of time to work on the truck...I am looking forward to watching her transform.
    There is so much information compiled in these forums and will rely on you guys (and youtube...) to help keep this truck running!

Photos from the Previous Owner.

What the '54 looked like when he got it
    [​IMG]

The 1977 Chevy c10 Donor
    [​IMG]

Her first trip to the lumber store
    [​IMG]

Showing my girl her way around an engine

[​IMG]

My son loves it too

[​IMG]

THANKS FOR LOOKING EVERYONE!