Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Buying out of state car help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fender1325, Oct 3, 2015.

1. My other problem is that our "garage" is just a closed-in carport. There's not a lot of room since I also park my daily driver OT vehicle in there. If I took up the whole garage to work on the 55, the wife would have a big problem with it. :(

2. Fender1325

Fender1325

Well if theres enough room to walk around it thats about all we'd need.

We'd need to remove the radiator, fan/water pump, maybe fuel pump, carburetor, intake manifold and disconnect the exhaust manifold before removing the heads.

Ive done all that on my 50 except the exhaust and heads themselves.

3. You are buying a car from someone you never met - that is the last person named on the title.

That is the owner of legal record.

Have the Seller close out the title - get a new title issued in his name.

You are not buying this from a neighbor down the road - you are in another state.

Jim

4. Fender1325

Fender1325

Right. That would be great if he was willing, but thatd involve spending an afternoon at the DMV, needing to insure the vehicle, and pay a few hundred in taxes. I dont see that happening, and I dont blame him exactly. Its a tough situation but I'll call my DMV, see if I can get in touch with the lady on the title, and continue to work with him. If he becomes difficult then that will be the end of it

5. If he did not close the title when he bought the car from the previous owner - that is his problem.

He cannot legally sell the car without doing that.

If you proceed further - you make his problem your problem.

Jim

metlmunchr and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

You know more about it than me (the status and pricing of Cadillac Sedans in North Carolina). That sum seems a little high for whats really a parts car. I mean nearly 3 grand for what ultimatly amounts to a car with no floors, one that you plan to retrofit with a later model engine....I think that can be found much much closer and maybe cheaper IMHO.

Another thing.......If it's worth getting, it's worth taking the trip to look at it.

In closing.....
    You need to really think this through. You need to ask yourself some questions. This deal is going to cost at best 4000 or so. What can that same money do to your 50? You volunteered that you did not have the means to restore one. It's very easy to collect the "good deals". It's also very easy to have a yard full of poor to mediocre cars with none of them truly great.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  7. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Let me ask a stupid question!
    How does the DMV know the lady didn't sell him the car, when he fills-in his information?
    That's right, there's absolutely no way!
    And alsmost every single State in the Country requires only a Title as a Bill of Sale.

8. Fender1325

Fender1325

I have pictures of the front and back of the title. The man who owned it originally, passed away 5 years ago. He apparently used to drive it around a little and then park it. His wife then transferred the car into her name. You can see the title says previous owner - estate of so and so, current owner - (wifes name). Then under seller on the back its signed and not dated.

He told me the car just sat and sat out front and he finally asked if he could buy it. So he did. Has owned it for a year. He said it turns over but doesnt run. Im sure its just a carb/fuel pump issue or other basic tune up.

Its been at his buddies shop where he wanted to get the brakes done but he said other things have come up and he just wants to sell it.

Thats the whole story that I know.

9. Fender1325

Fender1325

Ok......I just got off the phone with the NC DMV.

I dont know how accurate this is, but I was told TX does not require a notary for their title so all I need is a title signed on the back in the seller section. Then I take that into the DMV and fill out new application for title here in NC.

I somewhat find that hard to believe, as I remember having much more trouble than that when I brought my signed SC title in and needed to go back several owners and have them sign a letter releasing the vehicle.

10. Fender1325

Fender1325

Called the DMV again to speak with another customer service agent - I was told the same thing. So I guess all I need is the signed title!?

I'll call the TX DMV tomorrow to ensure it is clean.

11. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

F-ONE is exactly right. I'd rethink this whole deal, if I were you....

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My old pal Jim bought a car from out of state, seller had the papers intact, title signed over...Jim sent a cashiers check to the seller, deal was 'all wrapped up'. Nice original '40 Ford Deluxe Coupe. (under $5K, this was back in 1978)
    Jim had a friend with a closed car trailer that was going to pick it up on his return trip. (Arizona)
    The friend left on a Tuesday, IIRC. Was going to return on the following Tuesday.
    Tuesday came and went, Jim called the trailer guy's wife, but the phone was disconnected.
    When he drove to their apartment, he found they had moved out on the past Tuesday...
    Little info could be had on this guy, DMV said they needed a truck or trailer license#, as the guy's name wasn't on file, no such person...
    I asked how long Jim had known this guy, he said "months"... they would have coffee at this little coffee shop a couple of times a week...
    Jim called the seller, and was told his friend had picked up the '40 on Wednesday of the previous week. They had no duplicate papers, only the license plate number.
    Arizona DMV was less than helpful.
    Jim passed in '84, never saw his '40.

13. Fender1325

Fender1325

I appreciate the caution. Im taking my time with the decision for sure.

Ive been looking at 50's cadillacs for about a year now. I know what kind of prices these cars fetch. 2800 is fair for a complete car - that likely runs. The drivetrain is worth money if I get rid of it.

14. Fender1325

Fender1325

Thats terrible. Sorry to hear that. Id certainly use an accredited shipping company.

15. I had something similar with a 1929 model A that I had to walk away from. In that case he had a signed over title, but he didn't want to get a new title since he'd have to pay tax. I was looking at having the transaction financed through J.J.'s Best or Woodside credit. They actually did all of the work on the title both from a transfer point of view and to see if it could be titled into my area. Final answer was not in its current condition, the current owner would have had to re-title it. which he wasn't willing to do. A little different in your case, but wouldn't the estate executor be able to title the car? Not an expert there, but seems as if they would be able to. In my case it was well worth getting the bank's involved since it saved me buying some yard art that would have been really difficult to title in my area (DC). Good luck!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. town sedan

town sedan

Be afraid. Be very afraid of vehicles with title problems. I know that cars are bought and sold all the time with "open titles", but remember the seller will have to provide a bill of sale in the name of the person who is on the title as owner. That's fraud. Would be a pain to run into Mr. Murphy and get stuck with a big paper weight. Won't go into detail, but I've delt twice with cars I purchased that had unknown title issues (well, unknown to me when the cash changed hands).

17. Fender1325

Fender1325

Well I am afraid haha. hence posting here. But I should note, a bill of sale is required in NC only if you buy from a dealer, not in private sales.

18. Texas does not require a notary to sign the title.

19. Fender1325

Fender1325

Shame, I did all the research with NC DMV And TX DMV, pictures, got talking to shipping companies and he told me today it was sold!

20. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

I found a car I wanted but it was in Henderson ,TX.Im in southern NJ.Over 2000 miles away.I posted on the HAMB if anyone from the Henderson area could look at it.The car was just like the owner described and I sent him a check and BEN on the HAMB delivered it to me.Its undergoing a resto as we speak.1956 Ford Victoria.Thanks Guys!

21. Sometimes it works out.^^^:)