Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why do I not get alerts on watched threads, recently(today).

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by Tony Martino, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Noticed today, I am not getting alerts on watched threads.
    Is there some glitch?
    It happened before then went away.
    This is not urgent. When you get a chance.
    Thanks for all you do.
    Tony

2. When you click on the Watch Thread button, are you also remembering to click on the button next to where it says "...and receive email notices"? I've subscribed to this thread with email notification and we'll see how it works.

Though seemingly, since the site update, the email notification feature has seemed a little "hit and miss" compared to the previous version of the site. For the most part I do a "Your Content" search to check threads I've posted to recently.

3. Hey Clay,
    I do get e-mail notification on conversations.
    I don't want e-mail notifications on watched threads.
    My problem seems to be I miss or don't get watched thread notifications
    on some threads that I reply to.
    If I got e-mail notifications on all the watched threads my e-mail
    would overflow!
    Thanks for the reply
    Tony

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Are you sure your email address is correct on your account?

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

6. Hey Ryan,
    Yes e-mail is correct, and I do get e-mail on conversations.
    I don't want e-mail notifications on watched threads.
    It just seem like I miss some notifications directly here
    on watched threads.
    Maybe I just need to go to "see all threads" instead
    of just the drop down.
    Don't waste any more time on this.
    I will just look on "see all" from now on.
    Thanks again for all you do!!
    Tony

7. I misinterpreted your original question. I seem to get the on-site alerts OK but can't say for sure that I'm getting all of them. Wonder if it might be browser related. Have you tried a different browser, made sure your current browser is up to date or cleared the cache and cookies lately?

8. Olson

Olson

I have been noticing a lot of missed notifications on watched threads as well. It's been happening for some time, actually, but seems to be happening with more regularity in recent weeks.

I'm not sure if this matters, but in case there is a limitation on how many threads the system is capable of monitoring, I have 12 pages worth of Watched Threads (when I click on the "show all watched threads" link at the bottom of the "Watched Threads" summary available from the first black ribbon bar "Forums" pull-down menu). Most of them are threads that are no longer being actively posted to, but there are at least two full pages of active threads and another full page which are at least semi-active, of which roughly 1/2 - 2/3 do not regularly notify me of new posts.

I usually read new posts via notifications first, but it's certainly not always the case. For a bit, I'd thought perhaps skipping a thread notification was causing it to fall out of notification priority or something to that effect. But at some point I started checking them via the Forum pull-down and that doesn't seem to hold water, as I've got threads with new post in there for which I've not gotten notifications and am pretty sure I have not skipped. It also does not seem to always be the same threads which fail to notify. I've just recently started practicing unwatching/rewatching threads that I catch in the forums without notifications, but too recently to say if it is having any effect.

Other various bits of possibly pertinent info - I always view the hamb via my windows 7 laptop...I don't even own a smert phone or tablet. Like Tony, I also receive email alerts for conversations but not threads. I generally use Chrome, although I've tested for another issue with FF and Opera and noted the notifications issue also occurred with those browsers. I typically clear cookies/cache about once a week. I'm always logged in automatically when I open the hamb. And, at least since I've noticed the problem and have been actively trying to narrow down possible causes, I typically refresh the main forum page to check for new notifications again before I leave (either by returning to main forum from a thread or manual refresh if I've been distracted and sitting idle).

It's not a huge deal to me, as I can always check the drop-down rather than depend on the red flag, but I figure you guys want to know when this new-fangled wizz-bang hamb is not behaving as intended and Tony's post reminded me to get off my butt and type this. :p

Thanks for continuing to beat on this place to keep it working, gents. For the last year or so the hamb is the only social site I frequent, so your efforts are much appreciated. (Shit, sorry for the wall of text...it always looks so much shorter until you hit "post"!)

Tony Martino likes this.