Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mac's shipping cheaper on eBay

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Andy, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Andy

Andy

I just bought a part from Mac's. The shipping was $12 something. I go looking and they have the same part for the same price on eBay and the shipping is $4 something. Their shipping always pisses me off. Easier than their website too.

2. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

Seems particularly dumb on their part when you consider the fact that they're paying ebay and paypal a total of about 15% on the part as well as the shipping. A lot of people who sell on ebay and also from their own website will add enough to the ebay price to cover the sales fees. Mostly they're using ebay for advertising in the hopes that the person will then go to their site and buy the product for less money. In Mac's case, they're actually costing themselves a good chunk of money with every ebay sale. Doesn't make sense to me.

3. This is good to know. Macs has a lot of stuff I have wanted to buy in the past, but after figuring their crazy shipping, I always bought from someone else with more reasonable shipping charges. I guess they make so much more money on shipping from catalog customers that they can afford to charge less shipping on the Ebay site.

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

Have you looked at Macs online catalog? Its insane. Those corvette people have absolutely ruined Macs. A while back they sent me an email urging me to buy something that is not even a car part. "Be the first on your block to have one!!" They said. Ummm, no. That probably works on corvette owners but we are Ford guys and that is not persuasive.

RICH B likes this.

5. I agree. Every business Ecklers has acquired has gotten more expensive and from what I hear, worse on customer service. I used to buy Corvette parts and when Ecklers obtained that company it went downhill.

6. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Macs is way over priced on shipping. I use brattons for all my model a parts

7. fuzzface

fuzzface

Isn't just Mac. I order my plasma consumables off of ebay . I thought the sellers own website would be cheaper but nope, the kit is $25.00 cheaper on ebay then their site and they charge shipping on their site but on ebay I get free shipping too besides the $25.00 discount.

What it is they have little competition on their own site so they can charge what they want but on ebay website, you are competing against other sellers selling the same item so they need to be competitive with their competition in order to get the sale.

56don and Squablow like this.
  8. Squablow

Squablow

Fuzzface nailed it. If it's mass produced, some other seller probably has some on eBay and only has to offer them a tiny bit cheaper (price and shipping) and they'll show up first in a search for lowest price.

For all the complaints about eBay prices being so high, that generally only happens on rare items with high desirability in an auction format, new parts are often much cheaper on eBay than anywhere else.

9. Pete

Pete

Macs service sucks! I do still buy from them but when I call to place an order I wait for over 15 minutes while listening to thair damn "special offers" recordings..... Makes me wanna reach thru the phone and strangle them... Arg

10. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Nothing wrong with their products,but there is no logic with their shipping pricing.I needed some small parts for my shoebox,i asked my friend that does he need something?
    Same thing,he needed few smaller things for his model A.The shipping was something like 60 euros to Finland.I thought its pretty pricey for a package that has few small objects inside of it,so i figured out that we need an another person to split the shipping charges.I called my bro and he needed new inner fenders for his model A tudor.The shipping of the smaller stuff+model A inner fenders was around 70 euros,WTF?

11. most of what Macs sell's is just bought from Dennis carpenter or Carolina classics , I would use snyders for model a stuff
    all these other vendor have their own name and reputation attached so customer service is good.
    Mac's sucks big time and will never see another dime from my pockets, did I say MACS SUCKS !!!

302GMC likes this.
  12. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

When I had my ford I hated having to buy from them. And the only reason was the shipping! I live in the same state as them and it would take weeks and cost so damn much! If I had more time I would've drove there and picked up the parts. Even with gas and tolls it probably would've been cheaper! But I think it's all these guys that sell parts for old cars. The place I get parts for my impala from is nuts on shipping too but at least it's coming from Arizona haha

13. Mac's Antique Auto? Wait to you buy something and have it posted to Australia. Unfortunately you have to pay to play.

14. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Lots of other model a suppliers out there no need to deal w macs. I chucked the catalogs for them the other day. I'm a brattons supporter all the way.

15. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I bought 4 x C4 Corvette hubs the other year to replace my worn units and E-Bay shipping price to Australia was quoted at something like $100! I queried the price and once verified, I hit the BUY IT NOW button. Ridiculously low price and items arrived within a short time. These would normally be over $200 in freight due to weight alone. I couldn't be happier.

16. I've bought quite a few parts for my Ford, C & G, Dennis Carpenter, Joblot, Concours.... nothing from Macs. The shipping has always been the killer.

17. indyjps

indyjps

Tcpglobal does the same on amazon with prime. If I order direct I pay shipping, thru amazon prime, free shipping. Gallon of paint and reducer is kinda heavy.

18. hotrodtodd1960

hotrodtodd1960

I made the mistake of buying a bed for my Willys from Mac took 3 weeks and they shorted me the front panel, it took 2 more weeks for that and when I asked don't you build everything in house was told most of we do ?? Anyway that was the good part of the deal shipping to California was $750.00 half as much as the bed !!! Never again