Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Road trip on Rout 66

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Miller, Sep 7, 2015.

1. I've led a charmed life, things have always turned out for the best for me. For that I am grateful.

2. I see the world a little differently than most folks, I don't let the little things bother me and keep my attitude goal oriented, 34 years in the service will do that to a person.
    We reached Joliet Il from Oregon in seven days then spent seventeen days on 66, we didn"t stop at every place on the map but we made a few O/T side trips and got lost a few times. I ordered all the 66 association guide books but the best directions were in the .Jerry McClanahan EZ66 Guide that and the turn by turn maps worked out well. As far as the trip, for me we couldn't have improved on it. The biggest expense was lodging, the wife's car averages 25 MPG and most places gas was around $2.00 to $3.00 per gallon.

63fdsnr and i.rant like this.
  3. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Mike, I've enjoyed every post and all the pics you have posted on this trip, and you made it like I would have wanted to travel. I'm gonna keep my eye out for the next trip that you've spoken of in the Pacific Northwest!

4. After I fix the Caddy I'll have to think up a good one. Next summer a couple of Army buddies and I are going to explore some ghost towns in north east Oregon on our annual guy trip.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  5. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

6. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

^^^^^^^^Thanks Mike

7. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

That was a very enjoyable trip thread ! Thanks again for keeping up updated. Glad it all worked out for you (well , except for the broken caddy thing) .

8. Glad you liked it, you gave me the idea for the thread.

9. vinmanr2d2

vinmanr2d2
    from new jersey

thanks again guys , I will be starting a thread on what to see in Arizona soon . I will be there from October 16th till the 26th and looking to see as much as possible .
    Mike , thanks for taking the time to upload your and tell the stories ! it was an adventure we felt like we were on with you ! very kool !

10. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

... and you did a damn fine job !! I hope I can compare when my thread hits the web .

I look forward to following along

11. stpaulsdealmaker

stpaulsdealmaker

That was a very enjoyable and interesting Trip ,I really enjoyed the ride with you, I am 66 years old and live on east coast so probably will not ever get out that way ,but thanks to you, me and I am sure lots of other people get a little taste of the bygone era. It was really enjoyable and I really do appreciate your time and effort to share, Thanks again

i.rant likes this.
  12. We are back in Oregon now, Grants Pass, about 250 miles from our front gate. Yesterday was a hoot, went up 101 on the coast. It dumps you out on to the streets of San Francisco and the 101 sgns are hard to spot. Only took one wrong turn but was able to follow the traffic jamb to the golden gate.
    DSCF3858.JPG Then we moved at 5 to 10 MPH for two hours until Santa Rosa.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  13. To keep things on topic here's a 55 Chevrolet in the Redwoods.:D
    DSCF3869.JPG

14. This mourning we hit the road again to see the California north coast.
    DSCF3875.JPG Here's that Chevrolet again. DSCF3869.JPG

15. . We drove through a tree, it cost five bucks.
    DSCF3860.JPG DSCF3861.JPG DSCF3862.JPG DSCF3863.JPG DSCF3864.JPG

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  16. Then we looked at as many big trees as w could stand and beat it for the border. Coming from a logging family in Oregon it didn't take long to get tired of that crap. :D:D:D
    DSCF3872.JPG

17. Want to see that 55 Chevrolet again?
    DSCF3869.JPG Just keeping the thread on topic and being a smart ass.

18. Glad you enjoyed it, I'm a young man trapped in a 69 year old body.

19. 1949 caddyman

1949 caddyman
    from arizona

I know what you mean about young guy in an old body. Today I am 68. I loved this thread, thanks for the posts.

20. We are home, I will have a final tally of miles and expenses in the next couple of days. Again thanks for all your participation. It was part of the fun.

63fdsnr likes this.
  21. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Glad to hear you guys made it home OK.

22. For folks thinking about a trip like this we traveled 5911 miles, and spent just a little less than we budgeted for the trip. the car averaged around 25 MPG. Lodging averaged $85.00 per night, admissions , meals, tips and donations averaged $71.00 per day. Gas got cheaper the farther south east we went and more costly the farther south west. Now to start saving my aluminum cans for the next great adventure.:D Also took 1,901 pictures, I don't think the boss or the moderators would like me posting all of them here.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    63fdsnr likes this.
  23. MOTOV8N

MOTOV8N
    from Manitoba

Job very well done!!! Major applause!!! ... Actually, a standing ovation!!!

24. dmorago

dmorago

What a great adventure. Remember what Einstein said; "Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere." I love road trips, especially when I never return home by the same roads. Dick M

25. You and me both.

26. JBurt

JBurt

Thanks for for the ride and cost breakdown. My wife and I are taking a southern tour from Cal down to Phoenix - Tucson - El Paso and along the Gulf down to the Keys and back starting in Nov. You've given us some great side trips to check out. Thanks

27. While you're at it, make that buses too.
    Nice thread

28. yruhot

yruhot

29. yruhot

yruhot

so cool and you'll have memories forever. been up and down that area many times and loved seeing your post, brought back my good memories. We saw a bunch of europeans renting HD motorcycles in la and driving them to Chicago and visa versa and it amazing how they know more about the rt66 history than most Americans sadly. If memory serves me correctly there is a rt 66 museum in Barstow Ca. Wife and I went there and man you had to be pretty tuff back during the depression to migrate from the dust bowl etc to California back then. Anyway glad you had a nice trip. I missed what happened to the cad but hope it works out for you,thanks again,yruhot....Doug

30. I'm yet to investigate the problem with the Cadillac, probably get to that tomorrow and will post what I find here.
    To come here from a foreign country takes a lot of planning so I would not doubt that most groups do their home work and most had guides that spoke their native language. We mapped out our trip turn by turn over the spring and summer and I have read a lot of the history of both routes we took plus reading threads here of other peoples adventures. The more you know the better things turn out.