Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Recreating the jesse lopez coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by jivin jer, Aug 18, 2012.

1. bobo1

bobo1
    from France

2. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

The head lights look great too!

3. Amazing how a couple of small things liek that can make so much difference.

4. With the passage of time it almost appears easier to build a car than to reproduce it, what with only pics and memories to go by.. Thank goodness for Jesse's reliable memories and your willingness to get things right. Makes for the best sort of tribute to Jesse, his car and the Barris' work.

Continued congratulations Jer!

Dave

5. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Superlative. Inspiring. Holy shit.

6. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

7. jivin jer

jivin jer

Thanks everybody for the kind words...what a ride! Dave you are right, even a tribute car would give you lots of freedom compared to a dead on authentic recreation. Extremely confining , but fun until you start doing it like I have. The front end work was done in August.

8. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

9. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I looked the whole thread over from page 1 to 80, then went backwards just to see if what I was seeing in the pix taken earlier in the year of the JLK and the replacement was as you wanted it, then realized it was not until you raised the grille and related sheet metal.
    What a great build-talent. You did what you felt needed to be done and achieved your goal.
    Homerun!!!!!!! Great Job all the way around!!!!!!!!

10. Ratatouille

Ratatouille
    from France

I hope i'm not the only responsible......;).....if one day i go to Texas, it will be a great honor to salute you Mister Jer, you are a great person, and what you do is really impressive, you are largely as talented as the Barris brothers.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  11. jivin jer

jivin jer

There isn't any reason for the Barris brothers to feel threatened (as if that were possible), their place in history is secure.

12. jivin jer

jivin jer

002.JPG Lets get this thing painted...again.

296ardun, drdave, TonyVan and 5 others like this.
  13. jivin jer

jivin jer

This is with clear and slooooooow thinner. 001 (5).JPG 002 (4).JPG 003 (3).JPG

tomkelly88, K13, Olson and 1 other person like this.
  14. Olson

Olson

Jer, when you got to this point the first time around I wondered about the proportions for a minute. I didn't ponder it long...it was hard to tell and I was far from sure, so I chocked it up to photographic distortion and allowed your eye, skill, and dedication the benefit of the doubt, and never gave it more thought until you tackled it again, here.

Huge kudos to you, sir. Not many builders would go to the lengths you do to strive for perfection. I know I'm not alone when I say you have my full respect and admiration for your diligence and dedication to recreating such a beautiful car to such a level, but I feel it bears repeating. I'd imagine it has to be exhausting and a good bit less than rewarding at times, but the end result is nothing short of a masterpiece.

15. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You are very dedicated for blowing the entire front end apart to address the headlights and grille, but I think the payoff is clear. Amazing job, you are talented, I am blown away by your commitment to getting it right. Hats off to you, sir.

16. looking sweet, my hats off to you !

17. jivin jer

jivin jer

Well, wev'e got some semi serious computer roblems,so no pics till later, sorry.

18. jivin jer

jivin jer

Here's the nose assembled. I've got to get some outside shots to send to jesse for clarification on some important things. 005.JPG

slv63, daddio211, K13 and 4 others like this.
  19. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

"Amazing job, you are talented, I am blown away by your commitment to getting it right. Hats off to you, sir." Says it best.

20. what he said ! just great !

21. jivin jer

jivin jer

Thanks everybody for the kind words. I've got pics that I need to upload, but the board won't take them without an error message coming up. These are the smallist pics I can make and it still won't take 'em.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  22. loudbang

loudbang

Got the photo from Jer and cut it down. Trial run posting it for him.

[​IMG]

RICH B, tomkelly88, daddio211 and 2 others like this.
  23. like it lots ! way to go Jer !

24. jivin jer

jivin jer

Well I don't know what's happened but I can no longer post any photo's out of my folders. There as small as they can be , and I've posted them before. So, loudbang (LB) has offered to help , It looks like a tag team. Thanks LB for the help.

25. loudbang

loudbang

Glad to help send any more that you need done. :)

26. jivin jer

jivin jer

I sent Jesse these two pics with my comments regarding the differences. I hadn't noticed the lower valance not showing before, why I don't know. Jesse said that he didn't remember what was done down there, so I'll have to see if that panel could have been cut down to work or something else was done. Everything else is easy

LB will post these pics when he see's this post.

27. jivin jer

jivin jer

28. jivin jer

jivin jer

Well, how bout that, I just thought I'd give it a shot and...

29. Tanoki

Tanoki

Looks like there is an airscoop under the front bumper of the original car

30. jivin jer

jivin jer

I don’t think that there is anything that is usable of this lower front valance. The “tuck” is going to be so severe (you’ll have to stand on your head to see it) that this is going to have to be replaced. Jesse doesn’t recall how they did this so I’m going to have to try to keep this correct. He did say that it was needed for strength , so they couldn't just remove it. 001 (9).JPG 002 (4).JPG

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015