Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 50's pontiac engine cracked head!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dimitri89, Oct 2, 2015.

1. dimitri89

dimitri89

I took my 1955 star chief v8 287 engine down to a machine shop the other day to get checked out. The engine is perfect..aside from a huge crack in one of the heads. The crack is to large to repair says the shop.

Not sure where the heck im going to find that...does anyone know where I might find one or have any ideas?

2. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

More info/pics of the crack might be good. What one person thinks is unfixable might be an easy job for someone with other tools. Also comes down to how much money it's worth to spend on the repair.

3. I see 287 bits n pieces in the class ads from time to time. If you are looking for mid '50s Pontiac parts you may also contact @Rocky he likes those old ponchos and maybe he would know of a head floating around for ya.

lothiandon1940 and stimpy like this.
  4. dimitri89

dimitri89

Awesome thank you,

And I'll get down there soon and get some pics

5. mike bowling

mike bowling

Call Colby at "French Lake Auto Salvage" Wright County, Minn. 1-320-274-8497
    They had some 50's Poncho stuff last spring when I was looking for a '57 Star Chief head.
    Also try Pontiac Parts or a club listing in "Hemmings"
    Good luck !

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. stimpy

stimpy

also post head numbers as you want to try to keep a matched pair if possible also incase I run across one in one of my biddings somewhere too . as I try to sty with the later stuff and ocassionally run across the older gusher stuff

7. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

I know of a young hamber that might have a good set of 316 Pontiac heads. He goes by FALCON H on the hamb. (He bought my old 287 from me because his 316 was frozen stuck. But the heads might be good.)

8. oldolds

oldolds

Why is it that people looking for parts seldom have location information listed? Sometimes that info helps.
    A pair of heads will prob cost less then shipping them. Often a guy might have a set but will not reply because he would have to box and ship.

lothiandon1940 and Hnstray like this.
  9. dimitri89

dimitri89

I'm in west Texas

I just called french lake auto salvage, gave my number, waiting for the call back.

I'll head to the machine shop tomorrow of I can and get pics and the head numbers.

Thank you all for helping out, seems less impossible now haha

10. IN an effort to simplify my life, I sold off all my old Pontiac stuff 'cept for a #6 cam, sorry..BTW, the 55 engine was the only year that had adjustable rockers...took a special rocker stud. You can use a later head [change them in pairs] but you can't use the 55 rocker nuts on it. Using a 58-59 head with big valves may give valve shrouding problems as the 287 had a pretty small bore [3.75] andd the 56-57 heads had 3.9375. However starting in '58 the bore went to 4 and a 1/16th....[370 and 389 cu in] .big bore to accommodate bigger valves.

11. MengesTwinCustoms

MengesTwinCustoms

To bad your that far away I have a brand new rebuilt 1955 287 mocked up in a model a that's just been sitting

12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You have touched on a pet peeve of mine regarding the HAMB. I fail to see any obvious reason why so many HAMB participants choose not to show location in their information.

I don't expect street address and zip code, fer cry in' out loud, but a city/state or even a region, such as "West Texas" would be discreet enough and still give others an idea of general location .

You'd think these people are on the run from the Law, or wanted by "da boyz", the way they
    protect their anonymity! :cool:

Ray

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  13. mike bowling

mike bowling

Yeah; isn't Texas right next to Jupiter in the solar system? ( don't shoot, that's a joke)
    I had a guy last year that responded to an ad I ran for Model A parts- he e-mailed and said they were just what he needed. I asked for an address to figure shipping and he said "Australia". I said " Jeez the shipping is going to be crazy!" His reply? "Ship them to my friend in California, and he'll put them in a container full of parts to send- it's not the shipping that sucks- I need the parts and you can't get them here!" Supply and demand. I told him if he was willing to spring for shipping, I'd give him the parts.

The world's a lot smaller than it used to be. Shipping costs are high, but if you want it bad enough and spread the green stuff around, it's out there.
    Back to subject- keep looking, ask everyone, and it will turn up in time. Again, good luck with it!

14. Your in west Texas and never heard of Owens Salvedge in Wellington? call Bob, he probably has what you need.

15. ...........................Very well said, Ray. I don't get it either. If people would include at least a "vague" location there might even be someone close by that could be of assistance. I guess they feel that the IRS trolls the HAMB for tax evaders.:rolleyes:

i.rant likes this.
  16. I have suggested to Ryan that he make some of the questions on your profile,a REQUIRED before being allowed to join
    leave your name and city blank,and you dont get posting priveleges..Spammers for sure..

17. .................That might be a bit extreme but, if folks want to be a part of the HAMB "community" they need to let others know, even in a vague way, where they are located. I mean at the very least, what state you reside in!

18. dimitri89

dimitri89

Yeah I'm in the military, so I move around a lot. I have not heard of Owens salvage, I will look them up now

19. mike bowling

mike bowling

20. dimitri89

dimitri89

Haven't had a chance to call, we have been doing 24 hour ops. Just ended today, so I'll be calling first thing tomorrow

21. mike bowling

mike bowling

Not busting them! Thanks for your service, and good luck with the parts chase.

22. dimitri89

dimitri89

Thanks brother, I really hope I find it, I'll update tomorrow

23. You have pics of the head?? Exactly where is it broken?
    Are we sure it can't be fixed???

24. dimitri89

dimitri89

Still haven't been able to get down there to get a picture, the front brakes on my Harley locked up on me on the freeway the other day lol I should have that fixed by today and then I can ride down to the shop and get pictures. I'm not sure if it cannot be fixed, but this machine shop has a good reputation and they said it's a very large crack

25. dimitri89

dimitri89

Ok so I got 2 options.

1 in oaklahoma, $215 for head, machine shop check, and shipping.

Or in central Texas 150 for head and shipping. No machine shop check.

Worried that there may be damage to the head that can't be visually seen.

What do you guys think?

26. dimitri89

dimitri89

Actually 1 correction. It would be $110 with shipping with the one from texas

27. mike bowling

mike bowling

This looks like the best way to go to me -for the extra dough to have it checked THERE instead of at your place sounds like pretty good sense. Will they supply a copy of paperwork from the machine shop, and back the findings? If so, I'd say it's worth the cost difference. Good you found one- not an easy item to run down, I'd imagine. Good luck with it.

Hnstray likes this.
  28. dimitri89

dimitri89

That's what I was thinking, I actually already bought that one..just wanted to hear opinions haha

29. Thanks for your service. My first car was a '56 Pontiac in like new condition I bought in '63 when I was 16 and in HS. The engine was pretty worn out and leaked awful but was a pretty car,. 2tone blue. Love them Poncho's

30. dimitri89

dimitri89

That's awesome, yeah I have definitely become a big fan of Pontiacs, not as many old Pontiacs on the road as some other vehicles.