Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1955 pontiac Star Chief Motor Mounts??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dimitri89, Jun 8, 2015.

1. dimitri89

dimitri89

Hello,
    So im making the decision to swap the engine on my 55 star chief. I would love to keep the original 287 with the hydra-matic but im having major transmission issues now and the engine could really use a rebuild. That would all cost me too much right now

Found a solid 350 engine/tranny combo in a 76 chevy nova (yes I know its a sin to ditch the Pontiac engine for a chevy...but its cheap). paying 1,000 or less if I can talk him down

Does anyone know where I might find custom made (or any kind really) Moror mounts???
    Also if there is anything I will have to do to get the 350 tranny to fit

Any and all help would be appreciated!
    Thank you

2. I can buy a 350 and trans in a running vehicle for less than that here, that better be a fresh rebuilt motor for $1000. Or are you overseas somewhere?

No one makes mounts for these, they have in the past, but because it requires welding and conversion from the chin mount to side mounts you're more or less on your own. Same deal for the trans. It may fit in there, it may not. Have to measure. There's a possibility it's taller than the Hydro and won't clear the trans tunnel.

A couple of thick bar stock L's with a piece of tubing will make simple solid front motor mounts.

3. JGFabrication

JGFabrication

I've got a SBC in my 52 Pontiac hardtop and it has custom mounts. Do some research on it though BC the steering box position made for an interesting experience with the mounts and exhaust. Could you use the Nova clip and just subframe the front of the car? Eliminates building custom mounts and could give you a Power Steering / disc brake option . . . food for thought

4. i have a 55 pontiac and check out a hurst front mount.

5. dimitri89

dimitri89

Well I decided to keep original. The engine was running fairly well. So I took it to a machine shop...I just heard back today that one of my heads is cracked...other than that the engine is perfect.

So...does anyone know where I can get a head that will bolt to my 55 v8 pontiac 287?

Thanks guys