Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1965 Comet Caliente Convertible Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65CometRagTop, Jun 12, 2012.

1. 65CometRagTop

65CometRagTop

Roy,

Thanks for the heads up. I thought since the radio cut out in the dash is the same in the mustangs and falcons that an aftermarket radio made to fit that hole would work. I guess the chrome piece on the dash adds an extra thickness that makes it necessary to have the longer tuning shafts.

2. 65COMET

65COMET

Jeff;yes,that is the reason,if you look through the catalogues even 64-65 Falcons with deluxe dashes are excluded.I know your dash is done but you could take the deluxe pieces off,fill the holes,then a Mustang or Falcon aftermarket stereo would work.You can get a stock radio modified to have AM & FM & MP3-Ipod use!My friend Joe had his 65 Comet radio done,loves it!! ROY.

3. 65COMET

65COMET

Jeff;I got your E-Mail,thought it was just a link to get back here,OOPS!! The front suspension is valuable to a person converting 6 steering to V8 steering,but even then not worth much!I do know someone looking for a Comet/Falcon 8",I sold my last one last year!The hood is sellable,don't know anyone looking right now!I may be coming down to the next LB Swap,will let you know!! ROY.

4. 65CometRagTop

65CometRagTop

Roy,

Thanks for the info. It would be great to see you so let me know if you are coming down.

5. 65COMET

65COMET

Jeff;give me a shout or post on here! Looking for a hood,if you still have the one with the 'HOLE' that is OK. 805-844-6154. I forgot about 3-8-15 Sunday,CRS disease!!!! ROY.

6. 65CometRagTop

65CometRagTop

I just sent you a PM.

7. 65COMET

65COMET

Got it and sent a return message!

8. 65CometRagTop

65CometRagTop

I finally got to a car show. I drove the car to Scottsdale as a long distance test and went to the Show at Pavilions. The picture is the Comet next to my brothers car. The car did great on the trip with the exception that it is still running two cold when at speed on the freeway when the air temperature is cold. All other times the temperature is perfect. I met one of the HAMB members there but sorry I can’t remember your forum name. It was nice to talk to you.

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

cyclonedoug, loudbang and 65COMET like this.
  9. 65COMET

65COMET

Jeff;good to hear it went well,what a test!!!! Could it be the T-Stat or maybe the sending unit/gauge! ROY.

10. 65CometRagTop

65CometRagTop

The thermostat is new and what was in it was a 160 way too cold and I put a stock 193 in it. Before that the temperature would never go up. The thing is that all is fine until the air is cold outside and the car is moving. When the car stops or its above about 75 degrees outside it’s fine.

11. Wheeliedave

Wheeliedave

Jeff, (if my memory is still working), I hope your trip back was uneventful.
    I love the car, be sure to tell your daughter and co-rebuilder that the two of you have done a great job on the '65!
    Keep us updated on any further changes.
    Wheeliedave

12. 65COMET

65COMET

Jeff;where is the sender for the temp gauge located?Could it be sending a false signal?Do you have air in the cooling system?I have never heard of one running TOO cold!!! ROY.

13. 65CometRagTop

65CometRagTop

Roy,

I have never heard of a car running too cold either. I didn’t think that was possible. I have to do more investigation to see what I can find.

14. 65COMET

65COMET

Jeff;just a reminder,Saturday,October 3,8AM-3PM,is the MERCURY SHOW.Court Yard by Marriott 5865 Katella Ave,Cypress.I hope to be there around 8 AM,bringing a few COMETS with me!! ROY.

15. cyclonedoug

cyclonedoug
    from PA

Wish I could attend the Mercury Show. There is a lot of car show activity out this way, but never that brand specific when it comes to Mercury. Pontiac shows, Studebaker, other maybe...never Mercurys. Please post pics of the show if at all possible. Thanks - Doug

16. 65COMET

65COMET

Doug;it may be a little too far for you!!!! It is sad that there are not more MERCURY shows around,ticks me off when the LOCALS will not even bother to come out and support this! It was HUGE at one time,has gone down in car count even so low as to cancel last years show!! ROY.

17. 65CometRagTop

65CometRagTop

Roy: thanks for the heads up. I was a fun day.

Doug: Below is a picture of Comet row. I wish I took more pictures.

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

cyclonedoug and 65COMET like this.
  18. 65COMET

65COMET

Jeff;good to see you,your Daughter,and the COMET!! The COMET turned out GREAT,amazing after what you started with,glad I could help with advice and pieces!!! It was a great day,wish they could have pulled a bigger group of MERCURYS!!! ROY.

cyclonedoug likes this.
  19. 65COMET

65COMET

Jeff;the T-Shirts are on their way!!! Looks like I have a LONG ways to go on my COUGAR!!! ROY.

20. cyclonedoug

cyclonedoug
    from PA

Thanks for posting the pic!!

21. cyclonedoug

cyclonedoug
    from PA

Doing my best out here to keep the Mercury name in front of people at shows and around town. I drive my old Comets as often as humanly possible. I just dig the heck outta them. Sorry your show wasn't as well attended as it could have been.

22. 65COMET

65COMET

Doug;it is FRUSTRATING that MERCURY owners in So.CA.do not support the Mercury Show!! It is once a year,always at one of two locations,flyers go out way in advance,I do not understand the lack of support!!It used to be put on by a different group,was fairly successful,the group left,the show was dormant for a year then the So.CA.Cougar Club took it on.They have had so-so success,they have great raffle prizes,friendly group,nice awards,don't have an answer!!! ROY.

23. cyclonedoug

cyclonedoug
    from PA

ROY-

Thanks for sticking your guns and doing what you did ---even while being frustrated!
    I am overall very encouraged by the this thread - especially the convertible that Jeff poured so much energy into for his daughter's benefit. Wow- that was an amazing amount of work. ...I would have failed from the start! Your highly visible support during his project was awesome to see. Jeff's convertible project is encouraging me to continue working on our 65 Comet 202 that my 15 yr old son and I are trying to get road worthy for him by the time he is a fully legally licensed driver in PA. I am running out of time and good weather....it's already hitting the 35 degrees for overnight lows out here!?!???

loudbang likes this.
  24. 65COMET

65COMET

Doug:i heard something that makes A LOT of sense,try to do at least ONE thing on your project everyday!! Jeff and his Daughter really got into that old COMET,it was beyond anything I would have thought could be saved!!!I REALLY enjoy helping where and when I can,I get a bigger rush out of helping people get old COMETS [especially 64-65s] back up and running than I do on my projects!!Keep after your Comet,keep your Son involved,and you WILL get it ready to drive,just make sure it is safe,don't have to be pretty!!! ROY.

25. 65COMET

65COMET

Doug;another friend and his son built a 65 Caliente for the son to drive!! The rebuild started with a fairly straight 65 Hardtop,all the glass,engine/trans and some parts,were gone.I helped find some of the things they needed,turned them on to suppliers,the Comet is done and been on the road a few years now!!I built a 65 for my oldest Son,he drove it to high school,wrecked it,we fixed it,then he just flat used it up!! I gave the hulk to a friends Son,they built it back up and he still has it,been about 15+ years ago!!Being in So.CA.,back then you could find rust free parts,hard to come by now!! ROY.

loudbang likes this.
  26. cyclonedoug

cyclonedoug
    from PA

Roy- sounds advice ---I better get to work. Going to be looking at getting a garage heater so I don't lose the winter months.

65COMET likes this.
  27. NewGuyOldFord

NewGuyOldFord

Cyclonedoug........where are you located in PA?

28. cyclonedoug

cyclonedoug
    from PA

Central PA 20 mi north of Gettysburg, 20 miles south of Harrisburg along RT15

29. 65COMET

65COMET

Jeff;Mercury Show is coming up,Sat.,Oct.8th,same place,Courtyard by Marriott.I'm bringing my COMET down,hopefully a few others! I hope you can make it!!Take Care , ROY.

loudbang likes this.
  30. cyclonedoug

cyclonedoug
    from PA

Roy - Enjoy the show! Please post pictures.