Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Drip, drip, drip

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Joe Romano, Oct 1, 2015.

1. I just replaced the drive & driven gear, bullet, "O"ring & seal on a TH350 and the damm thing drips from the speedometer cable connection. Someone told me to clean it off and put some RTV sealent on the leak. What are your thought's on this? Thanks Joe

2. zjerry

zjerry

You may need to replace the plastic gear it maybe worn.

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Check the gear for wear and if there is room where the seal goes install two seals in the hole.

4. squirrel

squirrel

I don't listen to guys who suggest putting RTV on transmissions.

If it's full of new parts, then somethings defective.

Are you sure the speedo cable housing isn't full of fluid from a previous leak?

5. I feel your pain. After replacing the driven gear with new still leaked , new bullet still leaked. I found that the shaft on the driven gear has a manufactuing seam on it that I smoothed out.
    Helped somewhat.
    Biggest help was to run the tranny fluid on the low side.
    One time I had fluid coming up the speedo cable and leaking on my foot. LOL.
    Still not perfect but better.

6. Everything is new, all the parts in the message are new, the pinion even felt tight going through the seal.... I guess I'll start with another new seal.
    Yeah the guy that told me about the RTV is kind of a hack, if you know what I mean.....

7. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

Yeah, capecodbob is spot on. Probably will still need a new seal, but pull that gear and try cleaning up the 2 raised lines on both sides of the shaft. Can only help.

8. zjerry

zjerry

Did you install the oil seal the right way., If installed backwards it will leak.

9. Yup, seal is in the right way.

10. If its the right seal and in the right direction there must be a problem with the shaft.

Or

What you think is right really isn't.

There's literally millions of these things that don't leak, millions that did leak and were fixed and every single one of them will eventually leak if in service long enough.

11. squirrel

squirrel

I especially liked the pot metal bullets they used in the 80s that got ate up by the plastic gear. Great design. The replacements from GM were steel.

12. I hate throwing good money after bad, if that makes sense.. Like I said everything is new the bullet is steel, the seal was already pressed in.................
    I just ordered a new seal and "O" ring last night, we'll see what happens when they get here.
    Thanks, Joe

13. No Fluid from previous leak, plus there is way too much fluid in my drip pan, no this is a bonfide leak.. Thanks, Joe

14. Ah, I noticed the ridges from the mold, now that you mention it, but didn't give it much mind.
    Thanks Joe

15. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

There is a reason for the term, "keep the greasy side down".:)

16. So the seal was installed prior?
    Then you are merely assuming it was installed correctly, also that it is the right one, and that its good.

The shaft or seal is screwed up, you know this is so by the leak. If it were not so there would not be a leak.

Take the little housing to a Trans shop and they will pop a new one in.

17. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

I worked a rack for a Buick dealer as a youngster, this was a typical leak on GM's and new parts are the only fix. The problem could be that most parts come from China now-a-days. We used GM parts and I don't ever remember a come-back.

18. squirrel

squirrel

I'm guessing molding flash on the gear is the culprit.