Register now to get rid of these ads!

FE and transmission - opinions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29RAT, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Got a free FE 360 and a 4 speed from a 76' F250 2 wd, what's your opinions on the gear ratios in this tranny, over comeable with rear end ratios or ok as is? Have been told it had a granny gear etc.

2. jaybee

jaybee

I don't have the numerical ratios to give you, but I've both driven & ridden in these trucks. Even with tall tires 1st gear is basically useless for anything but bumping through a farm field & the hole between 1st & 2nd as big as a city block. They're commonly driven as 3 speeds.

3. Kaucher

Kaucher

What are you putten it in? The truck trannys are really low geared where you have to shift out of 1st before you get across the intersection with 3:50 gears.

You may want some highway gears if so it's comfortable to drive. KK

4. Both 4spd trannies in the F250 had granny lows. The NP435 being the deeper, but reportedly less strong of the two. If its going back in a truck, it's probably ok, but otherwise it'll be a hassle. Remember all trannies without overdrive are 1:1 in high gear, so the only time you'd notice a difference in a higher geared rear is in 1st gear. And in granny lows, you usually start in 2nd unless hauling something.

5. it's going in a 29 sedan, chopped, dropped, no fenders, light.
    Sounds like that tranny isn't for me.