Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chrysler Hemi Horne 4x2 intake & strombergs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65standard, Jun 19, 2011.

1. here is the block off plates i am fabricating myself. as you can see, i had to made them about 1/4" taller to close off the heat riser port. the stock manifold wouldn't have closed off the port completely on my 392 heads.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

now, here is the heat riser port on my 392 heads. if the manifold's block-off plate was straight across like i see on everyone elses intake, it would not seal off this port.

[​IMG]

2. here is what the block-off plate would cover if it went straight across.

[​IMG]

3. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

That looks great.

4. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

Thats impressive fabrication, those block offs look great.

5. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Really nice work..
    Duane

6. eightbanger

eightbanger

Awesome to look at.

7. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Just an idea, drill and tap(NPT) the block offs and use for temp. sending unit, get a true read from both sides..
    ??????????????????
    Duane.

8. oj

oj

Whose valve covers are those, they kinda look like Donovan but i didn't see the name cast into teh cover and theres no provision for teh owners name either

9. the valve covers say Donovan Engineering on the inside.

10. titus

titus

I think Jot is probably mistaken on the numbers, i don think well ever know how many were made, same thing goes for the cadi, olds and y-block.

I have one for hemi, one for cadi and two for olds, and am looking for a y-block one.

So i think that makes a total of 6 hemi intakes here on the hamb for sure, and im sure theres a few more hemi enthusiests that have em too.

JEFF

Attached Files:

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great work on the block-off plate!

Add one more to that. A HAMBer that doesn't post very much has one hanging in her garage, as well.

12. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Here is a Horne that I built a couple of years ago..
    Duane.

Attached Files:

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

That's a great looking set up Duane!!!! Clean!!!!!

14. Jot may be wrong on "less than 5 with the carb pads", but he can't be that far off on the count. Maybe the people he sold the Horne equipment company to made a few with the Horne logo on them? Even at 84, his memory seems to be very strong. No signs of Alzheimers.

Maybe I should fix the carbs and use it as a display item?

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Maybe you should trade it to me. I will use it!!!:D:D:D

16. titus

titus

Im not saying hes way off, but when he did an interview with street rodder he said 25 of each intake then so who knows.

He sold Horne company to bell auto which owned the cragar name too so then they put the cragar name on the intakes. Oh he also went back to work for bell when he sold them his company which he quit to start the horne company if that makes any sense!

Sell it to someone who wants to put it on a car.

JEFF

17. That is what Jot told me too. About 25 Hemi intakes, but most were for the 671 supercharger.

I would love to see this intake used on someone's Hemi here.

18. well, after looking at the intake with the removable block off plate, i decided to weld them in. i beveled the both sides of the seam to maximize penetration.

here is the piece fully welded up.
    [​IMG]

here is the other side.
    [​IMG]

after some clean up.
    [​IMG]

and a little honing of the gasket surface.
    [​IMG]

i still need to clean up the tool marks from fabricating and welding. i should have some time this week to complete the transformation and make it look 100% original. then i will see about getting the carbs back in order. i may have to farm that out to the experts.

19. the intake is just about done. all i need to do is make the color uniform. the new repair is nice and bright while the rest of the intake is greyish. anyone have any ideas on how to make it all uniform?

i would prefer to age the new area instead of bead blasting the whole intake.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. George

George

paint it!:)

21. Mike Poulos

Mike Poulos
    from Utah

There it is on a hemi 20150424_233405.jpg

Paul likes this.
  22. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Looks fantastic!

23. I don't mean to revive a dead thread, but this is a sweet intake, and if you haven't blended the new metal to the old metal yet, my buddy uses 0000 steel wool followed by Mr. Clean Magic Eraser wet with Purple Power degreaser. It cleans, and deoxidizes the aluminum without marring the surface, and leaves a clean cast shine. You won't get the repair to look old without age, but you can make the intake look clean without ruining it in a blast cabinet. Or if you just want to sell it to me I can take care of that for you...

24. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

Thanks for the info! I bought the intake from Tony awhile back. Although, at the rate I'm going I won't have a problem with the new metal not looking aged...