Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical AC Condenser Hard Lines problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Joe, Sep 28, 2015.

1. 34Joe

34Joe

Here are the stats,1934 ford,small block chevy,Griffin Radiator. I purchased a Vintage Air Condenser and their side exit hard lines as my old condenser which was copper had a hairline crack and was no longer usable.The condenser mounted up to the radiator with no problem ,but the side exit hard lines stick out from the radiator well over an inch and cant be tweaked to work.I have gone through two sets of lines,trying to tweak them to make them work to no avail.Contacted Vintage Air,to no avail.Anyone have a similar problem? Any ideas appreciated.

2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Pic would be big help..

3. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

Can you go straight to the condenser with the hose fittings and don't use the hard lines. Or use a slightly narrower condenser for more room and still go straight to the condenser with the hoses.

4. 34Joe

34Joe

Just ordered another set of hard lines and as soon as I get them,I will mock them up on the car and show the problem.

5. 34Joe

34Joe

I would need a fitting on the end of the hose that is 180 degrees to aim the #6 hose straight down. The thickness of the hose would be a problem as there is not much clearance to work with and vintage air does not offer a#6 fitting with a 360 degree end. The condenser is the correct one for 32-37 ford. Good idea though.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  6. Photo's would help,my mental image ain't working. HRP

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It sounds like you are trying to hook it up with lines that they did not intend for it to be hooked up with. Looking at the catalog http://www.vintageair.com/2015 Catalog/2015 VintageAir Catalog 85.pdf it appears that if you use the correct fittings and lines to begin with there isn't a problem if you are (and it appears so) attempting to connect to preexisting lines and fittings without changing those lines or fittings you are having the trouble you are.

Still as was mentioned earlier good PHOTOS of what you are up against help tons for others to figure out what you are dealing with.

8. 34Joe

34Joe

As soon as I receive my next set of hardlines, I will mock them up to show the problem.

9. 360* is a full circle.
    Do you need a 180* fitting?

Notice its the same condenser with just different lines

image.jpg image.jpg

10. 34Joe

34Joe

If you look at the two upper radiator pictures on page 85 of the catalog, you will see that, one set of hardlines exiting out the side of the radiator. These are the ones I am trying to work with. The problem is when they bend around to the side of the radiator, they don't stay next to the radiator. When they get to the side of the radiator they are approximately one inch away and hit the sheet metal that the front fender bolts to. The grill also has to fit in this area. As for using pre-existing lines, I am starting from scratch, having also purchased their 14 fitting extended length hose kit.

11. 34Joe

34Joe

My mistake, 180 degree is correct. I am using the hardlines that exit out the side as in your first picture but the problem is they don't hug the radiator along the side, they are approximately one inch away, hitting the sheet metal that the front fender bolts to. The grill shell also has to fit in this area so things are tight.

12. Skoot the condenser over a bit ?
    Seems logical since lines are a pain.
    Look up sur&r, they might have a trick or 2

13. 34Joe

34Joe

The condenser has to be centered as it is ,if I move it twords the driver side the grill shell wont fit, it will hit.

14. Then that's not the condenser pictured?

Looks like the condenser is 5" narrower than the radiator

15. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

If this is on a 33/34 Ford Walker offsets the radiator towards the engine to get the condenser to clear the grill shell. Since you have a Griffin radiator you might have to offset the mounting holes to move the radiator towards the engine if that is an option. Not many choices unless you can mount the condenser under the car or some other place.

16. 34Joe

34Joe

right condenser, but not a 1934 ford radiator
    Its the right condenser but that's not a 1934 ford radiator, The two are probably not to scale either.

17. 34Joe

34Joe

The condenser is mounted, no problem there. The problem is with the hardlines they sell, as the lines don't hug the side of the radiator but are instead approximately an inch away, causing all sorts of problems. Trying to re - form the hardlines does not work either, as I have already mangled two sets in an attempt to make them fit correctly.

18. Apparently,,,
    the condenser and hard lines work together and fit under every other grill.

What I gather from your posts is that the condenser and hard lines together as an assembly do not fit- neither left or right shift is possible. It must be in the wrong place- Moving the assembly towards the rear of the car will give more room side to side.

http://www.surrauto.com/

image.jpg

http://nostalgicac.com/fittings-hose-kits/ac-fittings.html

image.jpg

19. dtracy

dtracy

You might consider finding or bending your own tubing to fit the shell and then having them welded to the condenser using tig (a slip fit joint is strong and welds easy). If one end of the fabbed tubing has the correct fitting for the liquid lines then all you would have to do it wrench it together.

Dave.

20. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

Cut the lines (I assume they are Alum) have one end bumped so the mating end can be slipped inside and brazed/welded or like dtracy suggested use a coupling to connect the line again (after shortening the tubing)then make a brace with 2 "bumps" to sheet metal screw to the radiator side supports (assuming there are side supports) BE CAREFUL not to drill into the radiator tubes, but you knew that...right?