Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 28 A cowl tank column drop ideas

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by pooch2, Sep 29, 2015.

1. pooch2

pooch2
    from Australia

OZ RHD hiboy A roadster .

May or may not use the cowl tank as a fuel tank , but in our state we have to have a collapsible break away steering column.

Probably a moot point, as if the cowl tank is used, and I have a decent prang, at least it will save me on cremation fees, but engineers demand this rule.

I was leaning towards a con rod as a column drop mounted down from the dash rail area , like a 30/31 A has with sliding breakaways at column tube.

It is a left hand drive tank, so does not have the mount under on right side to use.

Would like pics and ideas from any or all who have done something like this.

2. jimbo121

jimbo121

Hi, I used a Chev Conrod on my A Tudor, with an HQ collapsible column. Sorry I don't have pics, but basically cut the gudgeon end off, made up a 6mm steel mounting plate with a gusseted arm welded perpendicular which bolted tothe conrod. I then bolted the triangular shaped plate to the recess in the bottom of the tank where the original drop was. I didn't use my tank for fuel and had partially removed the base and internals. Hope this is some help.

3. The collapsible aspect as far as i'm aware in Aus is for:

1. If your steering box is within 300mm from the back edge of the front crossmember.
    2. A little loose on the exact definition..

I'm planning on using my original fuel tank for my roadster, i've got the original column bracket on the tank and have used a modified '36 drop bolted to the original one. As far as being collapsible, seeing as my steering box is right up front for a cross steer setup i'm planning on running a pair of uni joints one at the box and one at the base of the firewall. As the box steering shaft comes out horizontal / parallel with the chassis and the firewall angle is what.. 45ish degrees? It is acceptable as in the instance of a head on collision the steering box will get pushed back but won't push the steering up through the column due to the angle.

So we don't actually have to have one of those meshy HQ style collapsible columns.. just some uni joints is acceptable.

4. pooch2

pooch2
    from Australia

I am going to use a VP commodore column, nice to look at, after is is stripped down just to the tubes, no mesh, and it fits straight in almost.

The vibration damper is a little big, but to not have to cut anything is great.

5. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

When does your collapsible column requirement come into play? Is it when you change from the factory column, box, location or some combination? If you used a stock Model A column with a F1 box, would it need to collapse?

6. pooch2

pooch2
    from Australia

Our rules are in NSW are a little ambiguous too.

They change constantly.

Before last december, I believe if a stock unmodified steering column was used, it could remain as is .

If any part of the column changed, it had to have a 5 inch collapse.

Rules changed last december, but as I am not using stock, I have to go collapse.

Rules also vary a lot between states as the guys here in Queensland have different rules to go by.

7. metaldave

metaldave
    from michigan

Be very careful welding on a fuel tank. They can blow up!