Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I reckon you are tired of rubber tires and loss of air!

2. oj

oj

Thats pretty slick, it looks stout enough and plenty of pressure as long as the single roller gets enough traction to roll the strapping thru it. I have a commercial one and and the 2 leading rollers are geared to turn together, you set them to the thickness of the metal and the third roll applies the tension.

3. Mike Rouse

Mike Rouse

The ring roller looks great. First off, roll a ring for the handle. Makes it more controllable
    Mike

Attached Files:

4. cfmvw

cfmvw

DSCN0259.JPG DSCN0218.JPG
    I built my own lathe based on Dave Gingery's Shop From Scrap series, using his charcoal-powered foundry to produce aluminum castings. I later took a cheap throwaway drill press (5/8" chuck but a low speed of 700 rpm????) and cast the parts I needed to convert it to 12 speeds with a low 40 rpm spindle speed and cast/machined a milling attachment and a variety of cutters. I've cast and machined all kinds of parts and materials with them; the pictures show a beautiful block of maple my neighbor gave me when he moved...I added some cherry and purple heart to it, machined it into a bowl and sent it to him.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    tb33anda3rd, JOYFLEA, Ulu and 3 others like this.
  5. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Damn guys and gals.This thread just gets better all the time.The engineuity of the people here is just outstanding.Thanks to all for their projects.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

6. porsche930dude

porsche930dude

Thanks guys. Yeah most of the ones iv seen pics of have the two free rollers chained together but i dont really see the point of that. It wouldnt help with slippage at all. If i do have a problem ill try wraping it with skateboard grip tape. I was going to use a bicycle rim for the handle wheel but I went with the straight bar for now. Im sure the wheel would be better but ill give it a try. The wheels will be going on my homemade mini tractor. Its almost done then ill work on the new wheels. I suppose it also classifies as equipment :)
    [​IMG]

slack likes this.
  7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Here is a pic of an old strap roller I picked up..Has three rollers all connected by gears..Not a slip roll so whatever you roll has to be able to spring apart..

Attached Files:

8. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Or you cut it and weld the halves.

We had a mondo horizontal slip roller at my old job, but if rolling I-beams & flanged sections, they trap, so to roll a full circle, you must cut it loose.

JOYFLEA likes this.
  9. oj

oj

10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Are the wheels you are building going to be similar to these ? My Brother built this from scratch, I rolled the wheel bands, on my slip-roll. He has the tiller, and a mower attachments, it works great ! TnT.jpg TnT 2.jpg

tb33anda3rd, RichFox and slack like this.
  11. Reading this thread makes me feel so inadequate......:(

12. porsche930dude

porsche930dude

yup thats the plan. Mine has the little snowblower on the front and i made a little mower deck for it out of a push mower. I also have a little v plow for the back of it but i think itll be way too much for this little guy itll be just for show

13. Made this today. It's for straightening coils of Kunifer brake pipe. Cost about £10. I used seven 5mm ball bearing pulleys and a length of bedrail (very useful stuff!). The post on the end is a bush covered with some rubber hose and stops the pipe curling round as it comes out the end.

Saved about £50 on the Carbuilder Supplies item. Works really well.

[​IMG]

stealthcruiser likes this.
  14. Mike Rouse

Mike Rouse

Are the pulleys placed in such a way that a straight rod would touch the inner diameter of each pulley. Does the coiled pipe enter from the right hand side.
    This's is a great idea.

Mike

15. I lined up the 4 pulleys on a common centre line. I then used a piece of straight steel round bar the same diameter as the brake line to get the position of the three opposite pulleys. The straight rod does touch the inner diameter of each pulley.

I push the brakeline through then pull it back and forth a couple of times. Comes out dead straight.

If you used pulleys with a wide square groove and made it so you could adjust the spacing between the two rows of pulleys then it would work with a range of pipe sizes.

I think it would work just as well with 5 pulleys.

stealthcruiser likes this.
  16. Couldn't find the pipe bender I was tripping over when I didn't need it....

Made a new one from some bar stock, a couple of M8 button caps and one of the pulleys left over from the pipe straightener I made the other day. Handle is self adhesive 2mm neoprene wrapped in duct tape - quality ;-)

[​IMG]

17. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I have 6 screen door rollers sitting on the work bench right now that are destined for this project. I've seen a few different renditions, but yours is the simplest yet from a fabrication standpoint. Nicely done!

18. I wanted a larger wheel for the carriage on the lathe. Sometimes the little wheel doesn't allow the control I'd like. This is built to come off with the center bolt while keeping the original wheel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    All done from the scrap pile in one afternoon.

19. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Nice mod. Looks proper for a hotrod shop. :D

20. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Here's a real quick & dirty job.
    I needed an A/C clutch puller at 11:00 PM one night.
    The clutch has straight pipe threads, or close enough to screw this hacked-off nipple into,
    There's a 3/8" bolt, and the nut is ground a tad then jammed inside with a big hammer.
    Four impromptu set screws secure it.
    puller2.png
    puller0.png

Merlin and stealthcruiser like this.
  21. porsche930dude

porsche930dude

Im happy to report my roller works perfectly!
    [​IMG]

22. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Very round.
    What are the drums for?.

23. Ringo !

enloe likes this.
  24. clem

clem

so you made a pipe straightener and a then a pipe bender.....sounds kind of ironic.
    But seriously, great idea. I like it, as I've always been frustrated with coiled up brake lines

25. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

LOL . . . I have a hoist that's so heavy I use it to hold things down. :rolleyes:

clem, niceguyede and ABONES like this.
  26. And used the same parts to bend pipe as I used to make a straightener... What's that all about.....

TBH a 6mm hole in a 2 x 4 will work just as well but I fancied building one of these things so I thought I'd just give it a go...

Also, I can't stand the look of wonky brake pipe, looks like it has been done by a complete bell end...

clem likes this.
  27. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Pinion flange holder for a Mopar rear end. Needed to replace the pinion seal. Strap iron cut with an angle grinder to fit around the pinion nut.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1443299396.334117.jpg

Also made a pinion seal installation tool from PVC.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1443299551.858736.jpg

Neither is especially fancy, but they got the job done. As a bonus, the seal installer also fit the axle seals.

loudbang likes this.
  28. porsche930dude

porsche930dude

Im making antique style steel wheels for my mini tractor
    [​IMG]

lawman likes this.
  29. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Ah Ha! Pretty cute!

This one has been kicking around here over a decade. I finally just stripped it down for the hardware and parts.

tr1.jpg

tr2.jpg

Oh, yeah. That white thing is my home made hoist, that weighs a ton. It holds things down as well as it picks them up.

30. knucklepower

knucklepower
    from .

my homemade brake line tool.
    [i
    [​IMG]
    p://up.picr.de/23249762ww.jpg[/img]

[​IMG]