Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '32 Roadster build at Austin Speed Shop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Anderson, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Damn you f#ckers are up early. It's Sunday for cryst' sake ! Repent oh ye' Deuce sufferers ! Anderson shall save ye' all !!!

lothiandon1940 and Anderson like this.
  2. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

Deuce church right here every Sunday morning

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. loudbang

loudbang

WHAT the kids in my neighborhood say it all the time................. you mean it's not a word????????? :eek:

kidcampbell71 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

like...totally not

kidcampbell71 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  5. loudbang

loudbang

Jeeze and I thought I was hanging with the "cool kids" ...wait is jeeze a real word?

ps you shouldn't be bothering "The man" he is a sore from getting his teefe fixed

3wLarry likes this.
  6. Eric1967

Eric1967
    from Union, Mo

Very cool build. Do you have a close up of the carb plumbing? Are you using spring clamps?

7. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

Anderson

Fantastic workmanship on the roadster! I love all the very well thought out detail around the lights, gas cap and the different design on the spreader bar sets this roadster apart!!
    Question: When we built my 32 Ford coupe (link below) we talked directly to Tremic at a show and they didn't think the T5 would hold up long term with the Dodge 270 Hemi we used. They recommended the Tremic-500 which I purchased, used and really like in the build. Your big Chrysler Hemi is even more powerful than our "Baby Hemi" and thoughts on the T5?
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/street-rodder-features-my-32-coupe.945829/#post-10640018
    32 Spitfire
    High Noon Speed Shop

8. Anderson

Anderson

Personally I feel the same. Behind a flathead it would hold up fine but behind a torquey Hemi I'm afraid it won't last. If it were my call from the beginning there would be a Tremec behind the Hemi or at least some kind of beefy Mopar manual transmission and we'd have an open drive rear end. The T5 setup was selected by the original builder so the torque tube could be used via the available adapter, though in a car with an engine like this I'm not sure the rational for not going open drive. But we made the call to stick it out with this setup and see how it goes due to cost issues and not wanting to rebuild the entire car. I'm going to hope that the light weight and skinny tires will contribute to a longer trans life.

57tailgater likes this.
  9. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

That is one bad ass 32 build! I plan to use those Firestone Indy tires too someday, but you need to switch the drivers side tire around. The treaded area always faces the wall at the track. I believe the tread is there to show the driver and pit guys the wear on the tires. 7-21-b.JPG dr24.JPG

10. I like it ! I Like it!!

11. Very nice work. The engine is pretty high in the frame so it fills the engine compartment nicely.
    How high is the oilpan flange above the frame rails?

12. I was told many years ago that the tread was there to help traction when they encountered oily areas on track. It eventually eventually went away with the small diameter all slick tire (probably as clean up methods improved and Parnelli showed them how to go fast on the shorter tire.)

13. Andy

Andy

It might be 14:1 if it is 3.5 turns. Might be hard to steer with that big chunk up front and bias tires.

14. gtolarry

gtolarry
    from Texas

Cool build. Do you set your front end up that way to get it lower? Does it handle better than a more conventional setup?

thanks

15. Anderson

Anderson

Interesting info on mounting the Indy tires! I doubt it will make much difference on the street so we might as well get it right. Thanks!

I'll have ot get back to you on that one, will try and look at that tomorrow.

I hadn't put 2 and 2 together. Their website product page says its 24:1 but that sounded very slow. Their other option is 16:1 which may be correct.

It was set up with the spring behind so the axle could be right out front. It's typical of what has become known as "rolling bones" style which is basically Doanne Spencer style. It does allow the front end to get pretty low and therefore so is the center of gravity which helps in handling some. I can say driving my T that is pretty low handles far better than a '32 I've driven that just has a dropped axle.

16. I call that the 'rubber fuse.';)

Anderson likes this.
  17. I'm interested in using the Trackmaster box as well. Like to know how it handles on the road.

1-SHOT likes this.
  18. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

I like it a lot, really cleaned the back up. Frank

19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Man you continue to do nice work. Would I love to go to work everyday in that shop. I keep saying it, but for sure I am going to visit on my next trip to Texas. :cool:
    Larry.

20. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wouldn't be caught dead in New Jersey, especially at 80 mph. Just joshin'. Car is really lookin' good, Eric.

21. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Will Ryan have a lisp when he types ?

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  22. Anderson

Anderson

Finally remembered to take a few more pictures.

I lengthened the bottom lip of the grill shell to fill the gap it had in front of the axle
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1443734610.746057.jpg

The rear floor with beads, welded in, and the rear crossmember cover.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1443734670.482838.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1443734681.920683.jpg

Shifter handle made from an original Ford lever, modified to bolt to the Hurst T5 shifter and a "Safe Driver" knob from Lucky Burton
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1443734761.267625.jpg

The steering wheel showed up from Crafty B the other day. He just got them from the foundry and sent one our way so we could finish out the spokes and other details just how we wanted. I machined the back of the hub on the raw casting flat, drilled the mounting holes, and bolted it up.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1443734861.339055.jpg

And finally the new pedal assembly. A Model A application from TCI but with a little modification to the mounting bracket, it works great. The bracket it just tacked in place in these pictures. Though I did have to do some modifying on the pedal arms to get the pedal pads in the right spot (and rounded all the corners so they almost look like a Ford pedal arm now), they arms came through the floor at the perfect spot. We will use a remote reservoir mounted to the firewall. The plan for exhaust routing will have to be changed a little.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1443735057.598311.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1443735078.560316.jpg

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
    Butch M, kidcampbell71 and Muttley like this.
  23. Beautiful work! I am liking the new direction. What are you planning on running for a windshield? A chopped '32 windshield? A Hallock?

24. Anderson

Anderson

A lot of progress on this one! Come see it at the Roundup.

Punched the deck lid full of holes
    image.jpeg
    Smoothed out the cowl top in preparation for the windshield
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

Custom battery box, fits behind the seat
    image.jpeg

A little bit of finish work on the Crafty B steering wheel
    image.jpeg

Highly modified '47 Chrysler dash
    image.jpeg

Everything was taken apart, cleaned up and put back together as though it was final assembly. A few pieces were rattle canned gloss black for some contrast.
    image.jpeg

Built the exhaust with 2.5" stainless, used pre polished mandrel bends and pipe then polished all the welds. There are baffles about 6" into the ends of the tubes.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

Had the front nerf bar and rear spreader bar nickel plated
    image.jpeg

Fluid reservoir and lines for the master cylinders under the floor.
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

A friend of the shop Chris Swaim machined this center piece for us to emulate the factory speaker grill. We're still looking for a nice set of gauges and a bezel, and please pardon the billet headlight knob.
    image.jpeg

Here's how she sits now. Still a couple mechanical issues to sort out but we did fire her up Friday and it sounds pretty damn good! I'm pretty excited to take it for a drive tomorrow. After the Roundup there are a few more details that need to be done, a bit more fabrication left. Then it's off to paint and interior and we've got some special people involved to finish this one out. You won't see much more until January.
    image.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    Butch M, loudbang, tmfcracing and 6 others like this.
  25. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

26. hasty

hasty

Very clean...Nice!

27. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Great looking car. You are a talented guy.

Very nice indeed.

28. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

29. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very nice build. I do not like the billet reservoirs on the firewall, however. They do not fit with the rest of the parts used. No room on the other side of the firewall? I am sure you could find a creative solution. Perhaps with access through the glove box door? With all the effort to keep the car "traditional" looking, it's like a big zit on prom night.

vic

30. Lots to like here. The switch from the 33 Dodge cluster in Deuce dash to the 47 Chrysler is especially cool...

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016