Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Grooved Cheater Slicks?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greasemonkey54, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Im quite a ways off from needing tires on my project but have a question anyway. I recently found towel city tires and saw that they can do partial or completely grooved pie crust slicks. I see good reviews on their tires but can't find any from people who have them grooved. What I really want to know is can i safely drive on wet roads with grooved cheaters because wet roads happen if you drive it enough.

2. oldolds

oldolds

Tire companies spend big dollars in design to figure that out. Towel City tires are recaps if I remember right. A few grooves prob will not help much on wet roads.

3. stimpy

stimpy

speaking from experiance , grooved slicks are to keep you from getting a equipment ticket , in the rain they are like driving on a bald tire as the grooves are shallow .. 20-30 mph max and your pushing it . the wide surface of the slick gets up on the water real quick .

4. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Matt

The more flat rubber surface on the road, the more slippery she a gunn'a get so the more grooves the better so the water has a place to go

5. squirrel

squirrel

My slicks have grooves in them...but I only put them on at the drag strip. I run normal tires the rest of the time. I don't really understand the attraction of running slicks on the street...even the radial slicks, that handle ok. I guess if you never drive your car in the rain, it might make sense? but I'm not so lucky, it usually rains when I want to go for a drive

6. Bphotrod

Bphotrod
    from da U.P.

I ran grooved cheaters on a model A sedan for awhile. They were white knuckle terrifying in the rain over 30 mph. And they were retreads that ended up de laminating at about 70 mph. They were the Hurst recaps, can't attest to towel city's product. I'll never mess with them again though.

7. What about...[​IMG]

Or...
    [​IMG]Basically i am looking for a wider radial with a bias look. Everyone i see has very narrow treads, like 5 inches of tread other than this option

8. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Simple Matt one set of those cool looking cheater slicks for cruising the local hot rods stuff, and one set of highway tires

greasemonkey54 likes this.
  9. stimpy

stimpy

even the full width ones the grooves are shallow 2/32 , you might be able to use them to limp home , but not drive at highway speeds safely in the rain , and the center patch ones as bad as a straight slick .

10. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

You probable can not drive through the water hole at the drag strip at most strips either, because they hold to much water and drag it where it doe's not belong. Gary

11. squirrel

squirrel

the grooved tires shown above look like dirt track tires...????

12. bdotson

bdotson
    from texas

I run and have ran the full groove slicks from towel city that's called a firestone groove. It is from the dirt track. I have driven then in the rain many times at hwy speed no problem. have no problem at all in the rain with them. Now I have had three of the towel city front runners come apart?

greasemonkey54 likes this.
  13. ya get too much grooves in em at some point they're not a slick anymore.

14. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

15. daliant

daliant

I've driven my Plymouth in the rain with towel city slicks on it and I'm still here to talk about it, I also have bias plys on the front so according to all the experts I should be dead about 5 times over already.
    My slicks are the ones that have the two grooves in the middle.
    If your going to drive a car with slicks on it on the street you have to remember that your basically driving on a bald set of tires so you have to handle the car accordingly, this means taking turns slowly and driving like grandma if the streets are wet.

16. Thank you for the feedback. How deep are the groves? What front tires do you run?