Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1965 ford falcon- complete restoration! with pictures

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fastfalcon_19, Nov 21, 2010.

1. not really a solid choice yet, still contemplating the 351, Im looking into 347 stroker kits but they are a tad on the pricey side. The engine it a little down the road yet, but if I can fit the 351 without modifying the engine bay too much, I would go that route

2. Turbo442

Turbo442

Nice progress.
    I like the color but then again I have sentimental attachment to tropical Turquoise :) (see avatar)

My Dad had a 64 Falcon that he put a 351w in, everything fit,albeit tight,and all but you will need headers for it and they are not cheap, then again, you would probably be putting headers on anything you put in there so just figure a little extra.

3. heres some more shiny........
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. and some more un masked.......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Good for you. You can check my album and see how far my Falcon has got in a year. Nowhere. Enjoy your car. By the way, I put a 351 in a Maverick years ago and if I remember right we wound up using a driver's side manifold off of a 68 wagon to get the necessary clearance around the steering. Just putting that out there in case you go with the 351. Might be helpful. Best I remember it does get kinda tight.

6. Will the 351 engine fit with stock exhaust manifolds? Of course it depends on the manifold, but I wouldn't be too heartbroken if I had to use them, I would almost prefer it to be honest. I want the engine bay to look stock, but have that seat in the pants performance, that's why I was thinking a stoker kit for the 302

7. Does anyone have a picture of a 351 in the falcon? I have looked around, and I cannot seem to find a decent one.

8. kbuhagiar

kbuhagiar

Somewhere in my extensive library of automotive literature, I know I have an article about a 62 Falcon with a 351 swap; not sure if it is a Cleveland or Windsor.

Would this help?

9. yupp, i believe so, I think the engine bay of the 62 is actually smaller than my car, so it will help to see the amount of room i have to play with

10. ahawes

ahawes

What a great job you're doing on this thing, you should be proud of yourself!

Just a word of advice, never get rid of the car. I completely restored a 68 VW Van (I know, I know) with my dad when I was 16 and got rid of it two years later for a "much cooler" car and having done such has haunted me ever since. There are only a few opportunities in life to be able to dedicate yourself to something the way you are doing with this car right now and it's easy to let the fruits of your labor slip away from you. You've definitely got skills though, keep up the good work!

11. I am definitely hanging on to this one! I find that where ever I see a falcon, its either a hardtop, or a convertible. I even see more 4 doors than 2 door posts! Yes the 2 door sedan isnt the most sought after model of the falcon, But there just not out there any more. I own a 64 hardtop and this car, and I still like the post just that little bit more.

12. speedracer6

speedracer6
    from w pa

Nice job on your car. Its coming along great. I have a 351 in my 64 Futura. Sorry, no pics of engine in car. It's a very tight fit if nothing is cut. Used Hedman swap headers for mustang, modified to fit. Mustang has a longer engine bay than a falcon. Not sure if manifolds fit even if you remove the rib on shock towers. With around 100lbs more weight than 289/302 combo, I think my car had better balance for a driver with 289 that the 351 replaced.. I have owned my car for over 25 years , and lots of good memories after all these years. Hang on to the car, especially after all the hard work you are putting in to it.

13. ^so did you cut the ribs on the shock towers for your car? Any fab work isn't really a problem and I don't mind doing it, until it starts to look really modified as I want to keep it relatively stock looking.

14. speedracer6

speedracer6
    from w pa

Didn't cut rib, but i think (it was a long time ago) i heated it and hammered it flat where header on 289 hit. You might check for articles for install 351c in 65/66 mustang. Remember article that showed cutting out rib and filled gap to maintain strength. Had to cut and shorten length of headers due to shorter engine compartment length. Right side wasn't bad. Left was a bitch. The 3rd tube goes up, over, and down behind 4th tube. Spark plug access sucks on this side. Also had z bar for clutch to make clearance for. Auto with floor shifter would save some headache. Will try to get some pics when get car out.

15. 65_Falcon

65_Falcon

[/QUOTE][​IMG]
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

Great work man! I was wondering where you got your paint. My falcon is the same color but I'm afraid it needs some body work and I want to keep it the same color.

Thanks

16. Young fella you should be extremily proud of your effort, The car looks beautiful and its always good to see another good falcon saved from the crusher. I built my first falcon when I was your age, also a 65 (Aussie one) but I can tell you at your age my skills were nowhere near yours. Im rebuilding that same car now.
    Keep up the good work and I can't wait to see the finished car.

17. 63fastlane

63fastlane

A 289-302 would be the easiest engine to put under your hood.....But I say 351w.....Now I am building a 63 Fairlane....There is about the same amount of room in both your car and mine in between the towers.......I took an early 70's 9.5 deck block and stroked it to a 408 with an Eagle bottom end...Plenty of torque, and in your little car......hold on......No replacement for displacement.....Keep up the great work...

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  18. 90LXdiaz

90LXdiaz

looking good. two thumbs up man.

if it were mine, id throw a roller 302 off a fox mustang with a fresh rebuild, maybe bored to a 306, convert to carb, gt40 heads and anderson n41 cam. mated to a T5

19. PhilR1957

PhilR1957

20. Kustom.Falcon

Kustom.Falcon

21. 2dr_sedan

2dr_sedan

I dig that Turquoise with the Black top. I hope some updates come soon.

22. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Yup the 351 W fits everything bolts in. for hood clearance locate convertible mtr mnt stanchions theyre 1" lower. buy a cheap set of 302 headers I used fox body shorties buck them up and away you go be mindful of your plugs and bolt holes I've seen your welding skills if I could do it so can you

23. Kustom.Falcon

Kustom.Falcon