Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lowering a 58-64 GM X-Frame car. Do's&Don'ts??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tugmaster, Nov 12, 2011.

1. So one of the things I would like to do on my 60 Belair is drop it 2 or 3 inches. Nothing to crazy. I lowered my 50 Chevy but that was a leaf spring car. These cars have the trailing arm/panhard bar setup. It also has the 2 piece driveshaft with the support bearing.
    Both 2 and 3 inch lowering springs are available. My big question I guess is are their any driveshaft or suspension geometry issues I need to worry about when lowering this? I also plan to use just the springs up front. They make lowering spindles but they are only for Disc brakes. I am happy with the drums on all 4 corners. Thanks, Todd

2. Going only 2-3 inches you should be OK on the driveshaft. But loosen the mount for the carrier bearing and let it move to the new location with weight of the car on the suspension. Then tighten the mount bolts. Otherwise you put the rubber in constant pressure and it will wear out. The carrier bearing actually has rubber that moves back and forth, so you want it at rest without pressure under normal ride height.

Rest of the suspension is no problem at 3 inches or less. You may need to adjust the camber or toe in, but I have lowered these cars 3 inches spring only without any alignment needed.

3. koolkemp

koolkemp

I have the 3 " springs on my Canadian 64 Pontiac (chevy x frame & 283) have over 20,000 miles on it since I put them on , been from one end of the country to the other, no problems at all ...other than beating the front shocks to death :D I gotta source a pair thats a little shorter lol!

[​IMG]

4. poprockcrusher

poprockcrusher

5. Thanks fellas. That makes me feel a lot better about this. I looke at the inland empire site. I am keeping the stock 235 so I don't have to worry about the high HP problems. If I need to replace te D/S bearing I will spring the extra$$ for the heavy duty model. Todd

6. x-shift

x-shift

7. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Ecklers also sells "lowered"coil springs in 2" and 3"

8. koolkemp

koolkemp

Those are the ones I bought...half the price of all the others I could find at the time but that was about 6 yrs ago..

9. I ended up going with a set of 3" lowering springs from Jamco along with their shorter shocks. The spring rate is increase 30% over stock. Rides excellent!! Haven't put alot of miles on them yet but I am very pleased so far. Todd

Attached Files:

10. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

nice stance-looks natural.I am gonna lower mine away from stock appearance also.

11. Years ago a friend put 69 Impala coils in a 63 and it dropped it too low - only about 3" off the ground. Don't do that :)

12. tnarodnkustoms

tnarodnkustoms

Anyone know of what you get for a drop using 81 grand prix springs in the rear? Have a 63 Buick lesabre and wanting to lower it about 3-4in

13. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

CANNOT WAIT to install mine!!!

14. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

My 60 is now lowered 3". The front end aliganment stayed perfect too! There was a rubing noise so we are going to adjust the carrier bearing. I hope that is it... I will post some pix after it is finished but it is easily the coolest thing I have done to my 60!!!

15. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

unbolt the carrier bearing and then when the car is at ride height tighten it up again. Also, I bet if you measure the distance between the tires and the quarter panels the rearend may have shifted...adjustable panhard bar is the answer

16. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

The carrier bearing was the culprut. I just cannot believe how much cooler my car is and it actually RIDES nicer... Great products JAMCO!!!!!

17. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

What are you fellas doing about the Panhard? Do you level it after lowering the car? Or are you not touching it?

18. told ya you would love it!!

19. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

get an adjustable one...so you can center the axle in the frame

20. I just went and measured both sides of my rear end. Exactly the same on both sides. Todd

21. slammed

slammed

[​IMG] I added one of these rear sway kits to mine. Oh, yes! There is a better (!$!) upgrade that is more involved. It ties in frame-control arm-control arm-frame that goes for $350ish. Do you have a front sway bar?

22. I don't have a front sway bar. 6 cyl cars did not have the swaybar mounting tabs on the lower control arms. I am thinking of getting a pair of lower control arms off a 58-64 V-8 car. My car does have alot of body roll. Todd

23. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

I took A LOT of pix and I will post them tomorrow... Took it for a cruise tonight to visit my dad's grave.. I am in love with my 60.. The !st thing I am doing when I get my turnpike cruiser is to LOWER it!

24. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] What do you guys Think?

25. slammed

slammed

Clean car. The nose can come down 1-2". That is my liking. Right now it is drivable for about anyone. What do you have for distance from the bottom of lower A-arm to the pavement?

26. FUCK YEA!!!!! Looks good Rick!! Todd

27. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

The coil springs were 3". The A arms are pretty low... Pictures do not do it justice... It is easily the coolest thing I have ver done to an old car..

28. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Here is mine lowered

Attached Files:

29. abc123

abc123

I'll revive this 3-year-old thread. Has anybody Z'd the X frame? Got pix?

30. bigpokie

bigpokie

I've looked into it off and on though the years and find most people channel them. Or rebuild the whole thing