Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration I do not think I can make my 37 a streetrod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Sep 24, 2015.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The thoughts of installing a mustang II front suspension in my 37 Chevy p/u have been running around in my mind for a few years but after a 100 mile trip the other week I am going to leave it alone,yes its cramped and rides and handles like a old truck but I like it the way it is. It has some improvements like being lowered a little along with disc brakes and the T-5 behind the 235 makes it alot more fun to drive at speeds over 60 but still has some of the quirks of a old truck,if I want to travel further and in more comfort I have a 55 Ford convertible that has a more modern IFS suspension that I will drive but it has no p/s and p/b too.

volvobrynk, TagMan and gas pumper like this.
  2. Budget36

Budget36

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. we need pics

volvobrynk likes this.

5. clem

clem

6. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Post some pics for us.

7. 2935ford

2935ford

Sounds like you have already talked yourself out of that? :)

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. gcrod

gcrod

DSCF1450.JPG DSCF1465.JPG DSCF1471.JPG The truck has 5 speed, straight axle with disc breaks and mono leaf front springs, manual cross steering and air conditioning for the wife. I have worn out a 235 and have over 40,000 mile on the now 261.

9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have been fighting the forces to completely modernize it for years and the trip made me decide to keep it like it is,it could use more power but that around 140 hp 235 moves that truck just fine and keeping a watch for a 261 that I can drop in since the 235 thats in it has a loose bottom end even though it only has slightly over 10,000 miles on a rebuild

10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Well... goooood! Leave that sucker alone! Gary

11. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

12. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I wouldn't make it a "street rod" either.. I'd make it a "hot rod'...

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do what feels right for you. If you are comfortable driving it and it handles the way you expect it to so be it. We all expect different things of our rigs. If 100 miles is a "long" trip for that truck I wouldn't change a thing on the chassis
    and w orry about getting the engine up to par.

I'm glad you passed on the "street rod" concept as to most of us that means big gaudy oversize billet wheels and other trinkets that look out of place on vintage rig.

14. Well welcome to my world. If you spend some tie driving it I mean like daily driving you will find that it is just fine on a long trip.

Once someone gets a chance to drive an old heap they way that it was intended they usually get a case of enamored in all things obsolete.

Good decision anyway.

15. DERPR30

DERPR30
    from HARVEY LA

IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

my Henry J has 2 speeds 40 or 45...
    pure stock
    but
    to feed the addiction of rod-n it,
    i have 2 sets of wheels -n- tires, yep mags
    and stock. it helps.
    but if the 161ci engine EVER blows up is goina be
    full on rod... Swade41 style

17. NeoSmith

NeoSmith
    from Colorado

In the end, it's all about the driving experience YOU want. To thine own self be true...recognizing that your desire may change over time too!

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

yeah, who wants a truck that is lower, rides better and steers better. it takes more than a MII suspension to make a vehicle into a dreaded "street rod".

19. In the end, a vehicle has to have some sort of balance to it. We've all seen the 450 HP engines in cars with that Testors 1/4 oz paint jar style of master cylinder still in it. No semblance of balance there. We've seen great interiors with a body that is full of wire screen and bondo. This is something you have to decide, how far to take it until you're happy, screw the rest of us.

20. You are correct but the truth is that if one is interested in building a traditional ride the MII is the first step away from that in many cases.

Actually I was looking at some pictures from a SoCal car show in 1958 and they had a street rod section. Like the SBC it only took time to make the term Street Rod a bad thing.

21. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

like I said before, drop a 283 in it and be done with it!

22. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I can not wait until I get the new 235 in it so I can take longer trips,I really enjoy the simplicity of it and not many distractions while driving it. What I like about driving older vehicles is you have to drive it and it does not drive you,makes you aware of what is going on around you kind of like on a motorcycle. Yes I have gotten used to the options the newer vehicles have but I like to go back to the basics and I love to drive it.

23. bondolero

bondolero

235 inserted motor is a must for highway enjoyment.
    A t-5 and open drive rear would be added gravy but not mandatory.

24. prpmmp

prpmmp

X2!! Heidts MII 305-350-323 10 bolt,anti sway bars front and back, drives smooth on the highway and like a gocart on back roads!! More of a StreetRod but with different wheels and tires,mirrors,grill etc!! could look more traditional! Pete [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  25. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48