Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Aussie t5 to y block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ratrod_Rhysie, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Ratrod_Rhysie

Ratrod_Rhysie

hey guys,

I've been looking into changing the 3spd out of my f250, and I'm thinking i'll go with a t5.
    the only issue is everything I've read about matching a t5 to a y block has been for the mustang t5 and with the slight differences across the t5 range i dont want to spend the money on an adapter for it not to work.

I have access to an early 90's falcon t5. just checking to see if anyone has done the conversion to y block with an Australian t5, and if so what adapter and other work was needed to complete the job

2. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Have you tried the Castlemaine Rod Shop ? Ask for Craig and tell him I sent you. I am sure he will be able to advise or give you other options.

3. Ratrod_Rhysie

Ratrod_Rhysie

Thanks Simon I've been talkin to Corey ( Flatoz ) about it too. His been a big help.
    I'll get onto them also and get some additional information.

4. blown36

blown36
    from Oz

I'm doing my homework on this conversion too. I've got a truck 292 and bellhousing and a 90's Falcon T5. I'll be measuring up soon. I pick the engine up next week.

5. Ratrod_Rhysie

Ratrod_Rhysie

awesome. I'd really appreciate it if you could let me know how it all works out. Is it going back into a truck?

6. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Keep us posted on progress.

7. blown36

blown36
    from Oz

Mine is going into a 35 Roadster project.

8. Ratrod_Rhysie

Ratrod_Rhysie

Just tried the rod shop and craig's off til monday. Spoke to Nathan he said they haven't done any before

I might try again on monday see if i can get onto craig if you think he'd have some personal experience with this?

Nathan mentioned a couple of the american adapter suppliers. And said that flat attack might be able to help.

9. Ratrod_Rhysie

Ratrod_Rhysie

Very cool. Keen to see that. Where abouts in oz are you?

10. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Nathan would know. He is Craigs right hand well almost. Craig may have some other ideas to help you.

11. My understanding is that all T5's used here in Oz whether in Falcons or Commodores all used the Ford patterned gearbox apart from some early 90's SS V8 Commodores which apparently used the GM patterned gearbox, all Oz T5's have the rear mounted shifter.......the US Chev S10 pickup has the forward mounted shifter thats suited to a bench seat and GM patterned gearbox..........there are a number of splines & input shaft lengths so best to speak to the experts re those........lol...........andyd

12. Ratrod_Rhysie

Ratrod_Rhysie

Yeah thats why I've been so unsure of whether or not to bother with an aussie t5. As my funds are somewhat limited I'd rather not be spending money on stuff that wont work

13. blown36

blown36
    from Oz

North Qld.

Wont get serious about the whole 35 deal till this one is all done.

Plan is to make the Roadster a basic deal and something I'm not reluctant to drive everyday to grab the paper/milk and bread.

[​IMG]

14. Ratrod_Rhysie

Ratrod_Rhysie

Thats basically the colour scheme i was thinkin of doin the truck. bet thats fun to go and get the bread and milk in though haha

15. Ratrod_Rhysie

Ratrod_Rhysie

well the colour scheme for the engine bay anyway

16. Ratrod_Rhysie

Ratrod_Rhysie

If the mustang t5 is the preferred option for this conversion. based on this diagram that I've found on another forum. the only thing that does match to the falcon t5 is the clutch spline, I haven't had a lot of experience with any kind of transmission conversion before so i dont know what tolerances the other stats might allow. any further help is obviously welcomed

thanks guys. T5shaftlengths.jpg

17. Ratrod_Rhysie

Ratrod_Rhysie

ok a bit of an update, i have found a ford aod for fairly cheap and have made the decision to go with that instead of the falcon t5, I'll be swapping the shifter back to the column

I'm still interested in further updates on falcon t5 to y block conversions or additional info for future reference for others and myself as i may revisit this in a future with another project