Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Weird Hurst shifter...need help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by corndog, Sep 23, 2015.

1. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

I have a friend who has a stash of cars and when I have spare time, he pays me to work on his cars. I just finished getting this old Dodge wagon drag car running but cannot figure out the Hurst shifter. It has four levers on an automatic. Surely someone has seen this before and can tell me how to find neutral. I have the car on a hoist but it has a blanket around the trans. Plus it is hard to be in the car and under the car at the same time. Any help would be appreciatted. I am ready to be done with this one!!

Attached Files:

Donald A. Smith and volvobrynk like this.
  2. Lightning rod shifter.
    There's a bunch of info on the net about them. The 4 lever is alot more scarce than the 3

Donald A. Smith likes this.
  3. Looks like a Lighting Rods shifter to me. The left rod is P-R-N-D-2-1. the center stick is for the 2-3 shift and the right stick is 1-2. So IF the tranny shift pattern is actually as described above, then the third detent moving forward to rear would be N.

There is a shift pattern here: http://tlentz.oldsgmail.com/hurst.html

didn't see the fourth rod, sorry. The far right I can't say but maybe the others work as the link provided shows.

Another link. The right stick appears to be P-1 and the others are for upshifting.
    http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/hurst-lightning-rods-refurbish-a-picture-book.392605/

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  4. Those lightning rod shifters are really weird! You should give it to me and I will figure it out. LOL.

Arabie777 likes this.

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Similar to the ones that came in late model Hurst Olds 442 cars. I think it was an attempt to make them look like a Lenco shifter. Too much going on there for me with all the levers, but I like the car. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

6. There was some talk about reproducing them. I quit following the project though

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

"Mr. Hurst? Whaddaya wanna do with all these leftover sticks?"

8. Criscobath

Criscobath

Kilduff makes a version of this shifter.
    http://www.kilduffmachine.com/
    Thought about putting their shifter in my Dart, but opted for the Sidewinder shifter instead

9. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

Exactly right!!!

10. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

A friend of mine had a Chevelle with those type of shifters in it. He played with it a bit, then sold it after a bit of an accident (he got hit, not his fault.)

11. Ordered a Kilduff shifter last week, looking forward to the install in my gasser. Very Stout shifter![​IMG]