Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Update for Aussies - Fender Exemption

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by striper, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Would love to run fender-less on my A build, as I'm running a factory engine for my car would I have a better chance to run fender-less?
    It's basically a stripped standard A using all factory A body parts and really should only have to meet 1929 requirements (I.e none apply)
    Have been trying to find out where my vehicle "fits in under Vic Road guidelines" but find it falls between a Hotrod and "Restoration"
    They don't make it easy in this country.

2. striper

striper

Richie.

Currently is is not legal to run any car without fenders in Australia. Modified or standard makes no difference. Being virtually stock does make it very easy to get full registration though. If you are in Vic it's also very easy to get it on the H plate club permit scheme. In fact for a stock A you can go on the vintage scheme which only requires you to run a rear number plate. Hold onto those fenders for a bit longer though.

3. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

4. 32coop

32coop
    from Australia

This will be really good for my 35 coupe. Just kidding. If I ever get to my 27 roadster this will be great.

5. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

As a person who has never had a fender less car nor probably ever will ,,I hope this can go somewhere ,,,,but the guys that always go fender less do you get hassled much by the authority's ? And what is there reaction when stopped?,,,

6. fourbanga

fourbanga
    from Australia

Thanks for fighting the good fight. Hopefully fenderless can be adopted into national guidelines and then adapted by each states registration authorities. There are restored veteran vehicles that did not have fenders from factory, so I can not see how slightly later vehicles(hotrods) could cause much of a upset, especially when only driven periodically .

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. fourbanga

fourbanga
    from Australia

Drove my A RPU to work everyday for a while with no fenders skirts or running boards.Campbelltown to Ashfield in Sydney . Passed plenty of cops , even acknowledged a few with a nod and never got pulled over.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Ratrod_Rhysie likes this.
  8. Ratrod_Rhysie

Ratrod_Rhysie

I dont imagine alot of them would really care. Thered be the select few that'll pull you up for nothing. E.g. we had a policewoman canary a car in the area for not having water in the washer res. Apparently.

9. I've been done for the washer fluid before, pulled me up for failing to indicate and stickered me for washers not working and a couple of other insignificant things. Copper must have been having a bad day.

10. I drove fenderless in Sydney (NSW) for 10 years and never had a problem. Had 2 cops in the club, they didn't care.

Technically it was illegal of course and the odd person did ask, "what happens with your insurance in case of an accident?"

11. Ratrod_Rhysie

Ratrod_Rhysie

Just drive around with them in the car hahah

12. striper

striper

Since this thread has come back to life it's probably appropriate that I provide another update. Progress is slow because we are waiting for an opportunity to meet with Vicroads.

Rich was in Tasmania last weekend for a show and was invited to speak at the ASRF Tas meeting. Again, the response was positive although we would be spread a little thin to try to push this in multiple states at this stage. We do have another important meeting coming up that we can hopefully provide more detail on soon.

The proposal is continuing to evolve, although it is essentially as originally presented to ASRF and as seen by those who attended our coffee morning. Just tightening up details and referencing legislation and the NZ scheme.

We have submitted our incorporation application for AHRA and are waiting for our certificate of incorporation. This limbo period made the seemingly simple task of opening a bank account harder than it should be but despite that, we continue to receive membership payments from the AHRA faithful. $40 will get you some cool stickers and a warm feeling inside. If you want to join, PM me your email address and I'll send you an application form and bank acct details. It's my bank acct for the time being. Worst that can happen is I buy some cool hot rod stuff ;)

Jimmy Tee, 509garyd and thommoina33 like this.
  13. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

Thanks for the update keep at it

RoddyB34 likes this.
  14. striper

striper

AHRA are now incorporated in Victoria and we have a bank account so we'll be financially accountable. I'll have to find a new way to finance my next hot rod. Next hurdle is the long awaited web site.

509garyd likes this.
  15. belair

belair

Best of luck to you all.

16. 55zephyr

55zephyr

Good luck, keep fighting.
    Cheers, Richo.

17. flatoz

flatoz

striper. update?

18. striper

striper

Yes Corey, probably time for an update.

A few weeks back Richard and I were invited to present our proposal to the ASRF national TAC annual meeting. The head technical advisory committee members from each state were present. We presented the exemption proposal and discussed with each state rep the likelihood of success in their state, the barriers each face and the systems in place. It is clear that the registration systems, hot rod registration, club permit schemes etc are different in every state which makes it impossible to negotiate a single solution for all states.

Despite the obvious barriers, the response from the TACs was very positive. It would be fair to say that they would all support an exemption but not all believed they had the degree of influence to make it happen. Not surprisingly, there was strong support for Victoria getting a foot in the door with the hope other states might be able to capitalise on any wins here.

We are still waiting for an opportunity via ASRF to meet with VicRoads to discuss our proposal with them.

We will be setting up at Chopped so drop by and say hi. If you want some cool AHRA stickers, designed by Ryan Ford, come and join up to help us fight the fight.

Pete

fuzzybear and Dedsoto like this.
  19. PM sent, we need all True to the bone Aussie hot rodders to support this campaign, good on you Pete for taking the initiative to get the ball rolling.
    Cully

20. Karl Wescott

Karl Wescott

Good luck guys... This is the relevant law in the state of Oregon which has proven reasonable.

§ 815.190¹
    Exemptions from mudguard and fender requirements

This section establishes exemptions from ORS 815.182 (Kinds of fenders or mudguards required for specified vehicles) and 815.185 (Operation without proper fenders or mudguards). The exemptions under this section are in addition to any exemptions under ORS 801.026 (General exemptions). The exemptions established under this section are partial or complete as described in the following:

(1) Vehicles of special interest that are registered under ORS 805.020 (Special interest vehicles) are deemed in compliance with the requirements and standards if:

(a) The vehicles are equipped with original manufacturers equipment and accessories, or their equivalent, and maintained in safe operating condition; or

(b) The vehicles are street rods that conform to ORS 815.107 (Exemption from equipment requirements for street rods).

(2) Road machinery, road rollers and farm tractors are exempt from the standards and requirements.

(3) Antique motor vehicles are exempt from the standards and requirements if the vehicles are maintained as collectors items and used for exhibitions, parades, club activities and similar uses, but not used primarily for the transportation of persons or property.

(4) A motor truck is exempt from the requirements to be equipped with fenders or mudguards if the vehicle has just a chassis that is not equipped for hauling a load.

(5) Fenders or mudguards are not required on any modified American-made pre-1935 vehicle, or any identifiable vintage or replica thereof that is titled as a later assembled vehicle or replica and is used for show and pleasure use when such vehicle is used and driven only during fair weather on well-maintained, hard-surfaced roads. [1983 c.338 §484; 1985 c.402 §12; 1993 c.314 §5; 1997 c.402 §11; 1999 c.170 §1; 2003 c.655 §120]

21. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

Yeah, all the best getting this through. We're certainly privileged here, and for a mere $25 annual fee.

22. flatoz

flatoz

Thanks Pete.

23. striper

striper

Thanks Karl. Seems there are quite a number of these exemptions, very similarly worded, in quite a few places. Good to know.
    Pete

24. flatoz

flatoz

Pete,

any update?

25. swifty

swifty

Just suck it up Princess and fix your busted rear fender LOL