Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How about starting a reliability run in central NY

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rcranger, Sep 15, 2015.

1. rcranger

rcranger
    from ilion ny

Not sure how many from central ny on here but have an idea after seeing some reliability runs out west why not start one here maybe start in rome ny head up to stillwater hotel for lunch or whatever then find scenic route back ,just thought I would throw it out there to see if any interest

2. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

I was thinking the same thing. I am really tight for time presently, but next year, I would
    like to see a Reliability Run as you suggest. The last few weeks of September and the first
    Two weeks of October would be the nicest time to "run" the Adirondacks.

VR&C.

3. I'd love to but it would be a 5-6 hour round trip reliability run just to get there and back!

4. rcranger

rcranger
    from ilion ny

Maybe we can find a spot to meet at that could work will start looki.g at the map and yes about next year that is why I brought it up now

5. Important message from the West Coast: Do It, just Do It.

TagMan likes this.
  6. I would love to do this! It always drives me crazy that the motorcycle guys always go on rides for charity and the car guys go to an empty field and sit in lawn chairs. I built this hot rod to drive not sit behind. I think this could be a Great event! subscribed . Jim

7. rcranger

rcranger
    from ilion ny

well sounds like its time for a change time to get on the road and drive explore the back roads , and just have fun , so lets start with some ideas of places to see good places to stop at to eat and then we can find roads to travel find a time ,seems like late sept early oct would be nice time

8. Guess I better change my intake manifold to the late style
    with the vent tube sooner than this winter!
    Wifey hates taking long rides with all that blow-by!

High test 63 likes this.
  9. The finger lakes region is nice in the fall I believe Watkins International is still open for track laps through most of Oct. not this year due to repaving. I am open to any suggestions anywhere we do this there will be travel to get there that is part of the road trip fun. Jim

10. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife & I might be able to make it, depending on the date, etc.

11. Koz

Koz

I'm all ears for next year...... I've wanted to do this for years.

12. rcranger

rcranger
    from ilion ny

i think next year is te best idea, have gotten messages from others interested ,now to figure how far to run nice route places to see fuel etc, the pattern i am seeing is distances that i am getting replys from 150 to 300 miles away this is something that is missing on the east coast ,any ideas would be great looking to see if there are any shops we could check out going to ask Dutch Comstock and ken and keith at rolling bones if it is possible for tours or just pick brains trying to find other shops in the state and points to see along the way

13. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

I proposed one about 2 years ago and got zero response. Back in the last week og August I did manage to get 5 fellow Mopar 40's cars together for a three day event in the Hudson
    Valley. I put 730 miles on my car there and back from Syracuse and the tour mileage itself. Last weekend I drove about 550 miles to and from Lancaster, Ma for the Tyrods Reunion. I have many years of putting on Road Rallys for the SCCA. This weekend I will probably put on about 200 to 250 miles attending a couple regional events. I know many scenic and challenging roads in the Central NY area, and the Finger lakes area.

What is your idea of a reliability run? We could do it as a rally format where each car follows the same set of route instructions and suggested speeds to get from point A to point B. or you could do it as a fox and hounds type deal with several Fox vehicles leading a group of hounds in trail along the route. though I don't like the idea of herding cats. We can also do it by listing way points and times to be there and let folks generate their own routes with maps or GPS. I am retired, and like nothing better than chasing around on back roads and by ways. Let me know who is interested in assisting, might even be possible to pull an old rally out of the old rally box and modify it to purpose. How many miles do you think constitutes a reliability run? What restrictions would you put on entries, as for age of vehicle and power plant type. what kinds of average speeds are you thinking about.

14. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

I took a ride today and had an idea. There could be two starting points, Rome Utica area, and Syracuse area. The Utica group could go down NY 12 to Sherburn, the Syracuse group would travel to Sherburn via RT 13 and Rt 80. At Shurburne the groups would join up and either, travel on 12 to Norwich and stop at the NE Classic Car Museum (http://www.classiccarmuseum.org/about_us.php),
    and or Travel via Rt 80 to Cooperstown, NY. Baseball HOF, the NY Agricultural Museum, and the Ommegang Brewery. http://www.ommegang.com/#!our_brewery) or both destinations. Takes about 90 minutes to get your money's worth at the Car Museum. Also lots of places for lunch and beverages. 75 miles give or take 1 mile from both starting points. Just under 2 hours each route.

15. Just my personal opinion I would love to go to Hot Rod shops on the run if that could be lined up like rcranger suggested but that is up to the shop owners if they are willing to be there on the weekend. I went to a show this summer at Newark put on by Legendary Auto Interiors with shop tours during the show they did a fantastic job and Great promotion for the business. Jim

16. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

What shops are in the CNY area. I do not know of any close by.

17. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Yeah, that sounds great. A cool starting point and a great destination would help bring this together.. Now I just have to get the Chevy RELIABLE enough to make it out there! Haha

18. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

no response from OP? What's up with that?

19. I don't know of any shops that are Hot Rod related that's why I would like to go to some maybe somebody out there knows of some. I would be fine with a nice cruise to a burger joint or pretty much whatever. Lets just have some fun driving our Hot Rods!! Jim

20. I like it keep me posted.

Any plans on a start or finish point?

21. 40 Ford Tudor

40 Ford Tudor

I recently read about a hot rod shop I believe is located in Marcy NY called Tucci's hot rod shop. This might be a great place to stop by. I read about it in a magazine called Apex.

22. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Well you are less than 30 minutes from them. Why don't you stop by and see what can be set up?
    Most of their stuff is non traditional but might be worth a look.

23. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

I should be up there in October, Binghamton area in my '49 1/2 ton dd/only vehicle. I'm there 2x -3x year about a 1k round trip. I was at the Norwich show, beautiful area, just get out there and drive!

24. Norwich Auto Museum in Norwich I have only been in the lobby

D.I.R.T. Motorsports Hall of Fame and Museum in Weedsport very good it's be about ten years since I have been to it.

25. rcranger

rcranger
    from ilion ny

i can talk to dave tucci about a stop by most of his stuff high end rods but still a nice stop steves restoration is another not far from tucci's dutch comstock is a shop that does custom car but he has slowed down being in his 70's last i was there he was working on a 40 ford custom with a hemi and some special mustang ,he does a lot of custom stuff he holds a Metal Meet in the summer ,and then there is Rolling Bones up in greenfield center ny have sent ken and keith a message about maybe a stop by on a saturday if they are in the shop

26. Thank you! even if one of these shops says yes it's going to be awesome! I have seen Tucci's work at the nationals it's amazing and I was looking at Dutch Comstocks metal class last night. Rolling Bones would be a Great time judging by the open house threads on here. Jim

27. SleightsburghMC

SleightsburghMC

We are running one in the Catskills this Saturday!

Www.rtfest.com

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

56 Dodge Pickup likes this.
  28. wish I was going to be in town this weekend would love to go to this thank you for posting hope you get a good turn out!

SleightsburghMC likes this.
  29. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Thanks for the heads-up but two days notice doesn't work. Cars could do it but I can't do the heat any more. Maybe consider one in Sept or October. Make sure you put up pics.

SleightsburghMC likes this.
  30. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Wish I had more notice! Car is champing at the bit! Heat to much for me.

We are doing this in Sept, come on out. Shot from last year

Attached Files: