Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 55 Dodge pickup overdrive?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59Bisquik, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Shortly, I am picking up a 55 Dodge C1B pickup from my dad. It comes with a pile of extra parts including a 54 Plymouth tranny with overdrive. I understand the truck and car bell housings are different, but what is different and how can I adapt this tranny to work?

2. 35desoto

35desoto

From what I know the 1/2 tonne gearbox internals were similar to the car. Check the rear of the two gearboxes and see if they are the same. If so its a more straight forward change over to transfer the overdrive unit to the truck gearbox. You will need the output shaft out of the car 'box to fit into the truck 'box and then bolt t overdrive up to the truck gearbox.

3. Bader2

Bader2

Or you could likely put the input shaft from the truck into the car tranny,then bolt car tranny to truck bell housing. That's how it works with a 50's ford. It's the input shaft length and diameter that's different,bearings diameters are same.

4. Currently, I am swapping in the 3.73's and will give it some road use. From there, I will decide if I need to swap in the R10 OD. I will keep everyone updated on how it goes.

5. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

If you do not use your transmission, would you be willing to sell it? I hope that I am not being rude asking this of you.

6. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I would love to find one of these overdrives someday.