Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Studebaker powered TROG project

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by corndog, Sep 20, 2015.

1. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

My son and I have been interested in building a TROG car for some time now and so we are now putting together a plan of what we want to do. Our goal is to have it ready for 2016. We have a '30 Model A coupe body that someone cut the roof off of in the 50s, and we have a Model A frame and lots of early Ford axles, brakes, spindles, etc. We have both been interested in an old speed shop that operated in South Bend, In. called Salay's Speed Shop. So we have decided to be different and make our TROG car powered by a Studebaker V-8 adapted up to early Ford drive-line and call it the "Salay Special." It is our understanding that we will be within the rules since it says the engine needs to be no newer than 1953 and Studebaker made V-8s starting in 51 or 52. I have been on a search for Studebaker parts and have been shocked to find out the cost of some, especially speed parts! I have located a '53 V-8 engine and an early Stude to Ford adapter, but still need a better camshaft and intake. Maybe even a better distributor. (PM me if you can help with that) But what I need most right now is any info I can get from HAMB guys that have experience with Studebaker as I have none, zero, nada! I have been told that some early Cadillac parts will fit Studebaker. Anyone know if that is true? Also concerned about flywheel and clutch parts when adapting a Studebaker to a Ford trans. Hoping to make some connections on here for a mentor for this project...
    Will post some pictures when I have something of interest to show! Right now all I have is a picture of a tee shirt some one made from copying an original Salays Speed Shop decal.

Attached Files:

Runnin shine likes this.
  2. Sounds like a killer project.

3. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

I believe the rules prohibit OHV V8's. Every car I have seen on the TROG thread are all flathead V's, some bangers are ohv converted. Not sure but I would check with the powers that be before accumulating a lot of expensive parts. Another factor is the Stude V8 is a heavy piece. Putting one up front in a light car won't do much for traction on the sand. Don't wanna be a buzz kill as I have a 259 in a 56 Stude pickup, but you beter be correctly informed before proceeding forward.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

might search: billstudepage.homestead.com/files/engine.htm

5. cretin

cretin

Yup. Rules state 4 banger or flathead V8. Running gear '53 and older. You're going to have to rethink that engine choice.

6. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

Did some research and found this:
    The rules for entering a car or motorcycle into the race are simple. For cars, the bodies have to be American-made and from 1934 or earlier, engines must be 4 bangers or V8 Flathead and running gear must be 1953 and older.

You guys are right, Studebaker V-8 plan is no good...Dang! Back to the drawing board!

7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

If that is true, they are a little one way. I would think they would allow inline engines up to 53 or some such.

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

There's always the Stude Champ 6. 169 or 185 cid ... :D . Speed equip exists & can be made for them as well. They were popular in day, responds well to hop-up. Worth inquiring about.
    Marcus...

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. moose

moose

It's a very ford centric selection of rules.

sko_ford and 1952B3b23 like this.
  10. doesnt this chevy have a i6 in it?
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff, volvobrynk and 3wLarry like this.
  11. RAK

RAK

You might want to consider a Stude Commander 6 cyl. They're pretty common and starting in the late 40's or the early fifties the engines are 246.5 cu. in., earlier ones are 226. The big trucks have them as well as the Commander passenger cars. I have seen vintage speed equip. for them like heads, etc. too. Lots of torque and bullet proof. PM me if you want to sell that trans. adapter, I would definitely buy it.
    Rich

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. Is that the same chev roadster that ran the hotrod hillclimb? Pretty sure it was a ohv six banger.

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. Pete

Pete

IF your car has a straight 6 AND it gets accepted.... It can race exhibition only.

It's Mel's sandbox with Mel's rules.... Follow them or you stand a chance of not getting accepted.

He's said before... If it doesn't fit within the guidelines, it has to be over the top special.

14. moose

moose

True.

15. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Yes it is. Its the T33, it runs a stovebolt six, with a Wayne head.
    That is such and awesome car!

I know nothing about TROG ruleset , I just knows that TROG rules!
    But it'd a Ford event, but still cool

16. dtracy

dtracy

What about using a flathead Caddy or Lincoln? Big engines, lots of power.

Dave.

kiwijeff likes this.
  17. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

Well my son and I had a talk and decided that both of us want to do this "TROG" style car and we want to do it with a Studebaker V-8 regardless of whether or not we are able to participate at TROG. So we are still moving ahead with the "Salay's Special" project and the plan we had. Thanks to all who offered advice. We still need a Stude 2X2 aluminum intake and a better than stock camshaft!

kiwijeff, sko_ford and Runnin shine like this.
  18. cretin

cretin

Still sounds cool. You'll find another event to have fun with the car.

19. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Never having been to the TROG ,though that will change this year, yahoo. Is something like my buddys flat studebaker acceptable in general spirit of the event?

M0NTAPERTO ROADSTER (1).JPG How about an early flathead stude like in my buddys 32 roadster . Way cool , of course the t5 would have go and the halibrand quick change??

kiwijeff, volvobrynk and stillrunners like this.
  20. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Sounds to me that if you build it right and badass there's at least a chance. I too am building a TROGlodyte with probably no hope of getting in. But I'm still going forward both pipes a blazing!

kiwijeff likes this.
  21. Stude on brother !!!

22. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

You might want to check the Studebaker Driver's Club site classified section. Might be some stuff on there. You should be able to find some R 1 cams used on the non supercharged version of the high performance Avanti motor. Or have one ground to a similar spec. Before looking for Caddy intake, remember the later 259/289 manifolds were cast the same whether for 2 bbl or 4bbl. They have cast bosses for 2 and stud placements and just require a bit of machining to open up the flange for the 4bbl. then drill and tap the stud locations. I believe the stock 289 with 4bbl was 225/35 HP or so, 259 210 IIRC. Nice engines just gotta be real careful with gasket installation, ot they tend to be oil leakers.

23. RAK

RAK

Corndog,
    I'd like to see your build on here if you don't mind. I've been a Stude lover and owner since the 60's and have been looking for a Stude V8 to early Ford trans adapter for years with the intention of putting one in my 40 Ford. I have a stash of Stude V8 speed equipment that I picked up at swap meets over the years before it got expensive and now the only holdup is finding a trans adapter (it's an Offenhauser #5194 if anybody out there has one). Good luck with it and keep us posted on how it is going.....OBTW, Dave Thibault in Mass. has some good stuff like new electronic ignitions and used to have cams, you might want to check him out.
    Rich

24. Elrod

Elrod

All great discussion. Just a few notes that this event heavily relies on look and feel and isn't a sanctioned race event with strict class rules. That flat stude is way cool, but a few things throw off the "look and feel" like the plastic electric fan and alternator.

Regarding V8 engines, We are running an 8th mile on sand with a small barrier. We are trying to keep speeds under control. Again, this isn't a professional drag strip. We aren't looking for nitro powered flatheads and such. It's about keeping that smile on your face all day long and keeping it enjoyable for the crowd watching as well.

We all love all the hotrods, but if you equate it to say a WWII reenactment and people were wearing modern fatigues and uniforms but had some old gear and some new gear mixed in, and hey, what's up, I like WWII like everyone else. That is awesome. But attention to details that make the entire package look and feel like it's from a look and feel we are trying to create for old car enthusiasts, spectators, and us!

flatheadpete and volvobrynk like this.
  25. Donald A. Smith

Donald A. Smith
    from Brook In.

CornDog I am also wanting to be invited to T. R. O. G. I live 45 miles north of Purdue campas . I want to see your car!! My car is a 1931 model A boat tail speedster. All hand made!!!! I was a Iron Worker for 50 years! I can do it. If you need any thing get a hold of me, I will help. Don in N. W. Indiana.

26. Elrod

Elrod

Yeah. Mel didn't catch the engine in the photo until it was already announced he was in. This year be sure to check out Jerry's killer flathead powered Cyclone roadster.