Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Is this a scam?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by joeyesmen, Sep 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

OK quick update -- I have asked him 3 times for his phone number, he keeps ignoring the request and asking for my # so he can call me. I think this must be because he is not in Holland, probably a US number. I think I will eventually give him my cell number to see where this leads. (I am expecting the caller # to be blocked when he calls.) Would be good to talk on the phone though, see what info I can get from him.

2. joeyesmen

joeyesmen

Also, this was in answer to my question of where did he get the car from:

"I've bought the car from a private person , as is in this moment , because he had some financial problems and he was forced to sell the car. I've got the car for about 6 months and the only reason why I'm selling it , it's because I'll have to pay a lot of money here ( in EU) for nothing, only for registration."

By the way, asking price of the car is $13,000 US, and as I said -- it is a running and driving Henry steel 1932 5 window coupe with a ZZ4 crate motor. Car needs nothing.

3. Brentphx

Brentphx

Does Nigeria come up with caller ID?

4. pitman

pitman

If it smells like a fish,...

5. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

That is way too unbelievable, he could sell it for parts for a lot more than $13 K and wouldn't need to pay registration. I just can't see how a scam would work in this deal, how does he get the money in this unless he hopes to get you to put up cash with some cockamamie story?

6. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

After 64 responses, is there still a question of scam or not?

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I kind of get the feeling you think this is real and you may get this car for cheap. maybe I missed the part where you said you know it ain't gonna happen.

8. Budget36

Budget36

Had me until the 13?K price...something is definitely up

9. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Is the seller a HAMB member ?
    If so, please private conversation his HAMB name to me and I'll check some things out.

I personally would not do this deal.

1. The car is not even in his name - he said it was still in a US persons name so he's selling a car that he legally doesn't own. So it could be stolen.

2. Refer to number 1

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. He (the seller) had me until he won't give the OP his phone number.

pitman and volvobrynk like this.
  11. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

He wants your cell number because he will be calling you from the computer. You cant call him. Only he can call you. also they will do a operator assisted call claiming they are hearing impaired. Can't count how many times I've told people this.

12. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

On second thought just go along with it and tell him send it!

49ratfink likes this.
  13. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tell him you'll give him $20k all in if he can deliver in exactly (fill in the blank) days. And with all the Holland members here get someone to go have a look. I'd bet a cup of coffee Scotty beams him up and you never hear from him again. Shortly thereafter another member comes on here, unaware of this topic, asks "...is this a scam or...?" If you do get the car I'll do an intro to you from that girl with the popsicle in the Badcock ad. :cool:

14. I am late to the party, but is this guy selling this car for $15,000 USD?

If so I have to say that is not that great of a deal if the car is not a fully rebuilt car.

There is a guy here that restores cars himself does all the work himself he sold a T-bucket roadster for $13,000 complete was a beautiful car. Right now he has a '26 Model T convertible for $13,962 and a '29 Model A Convertible for $19,929.

I didn't read all the pages but for the price I don't think they are good. Why spend $15k for a '32 5 window when you can get one for less and in mint condition if you take your time and look.

15. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

HOLY BALLS!!!

What has the hamb dwindled down to?

-Brent- and 49ratfink like this.
  16. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Ask yourself this: would you crate up your car and send it across the pond COD just so someone could inspect it? I don't think so. This has scam plastered all over it. And that's before you said the price was $13000 . Run the other way and forget about it.

17. wheelguy

wheelguy

RUN ! RUN LIKE HELL !
    I got the same exact response and deal (word for word) on a 62 Corvette I inquired about.
    Does he go by the name LUKAS ?> He may use a different name for different cars. ?????
    His email comes from a heading "SNOW QUEEN"
    I'm passing on the deal, I only wish it was true.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  18. Rckt98

Rckt98

Why would you bother posting this if you can't be bothered reading through the thread?

19. Maybe because I felt like posting. Why should I have to explain why I didn't read the previous pages. I didn't read them because I didn't feel like spending 20 minutes reading all the previous pages when my comment is about the price that this vehicle is being sold for and that I don't believe it is a deal.

20. Except if you had read it you would know that the price he is asking isn't $15,000.....

21. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Scam ma'am.......

22. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Must be lots of cheap 32 fords over in Texas ?
    Sounds like you fellas pay premium for " rebuilt t- buckets though"

23. Budget36

Budget36

I hear that, I'd
    Uh...be my broker?

So what you are saying, you can get me a turn key '32....eff the zz engine, no worries...heck it can have a Pinto motor in it....for less than 15K?

You must be rich by now....

24. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

9 pages to figure out if this obvious scam is a scam? Really?

25. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Volvobrynk ain't from Nederlands, he is from Denmark. Lol.

But talk to the seller, get an adresse and ask an dutch HAMBer to go buy for a look.

Easy as cake. If he won't give a number, drop it. If he won't give an adresse, drop it like it's hot!!!!

From those small details given in OP , there is no way to know if it's a scam! But there is other ways to do it.

26. mrquickwhip

mrquickwhip

He wants your home phone number..........at a later date you will get a phone call supposedly from your bank fraud team. They will tell you that you need to transfer funds yada yada yada.....they will have software that will show that it's your banks tel number that's calling.......it isn't......do I need to go on?

kiwijeff likes this.
  27. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You got a line on any Duesenbergs? How about a Packard 12 or Cadillac 16? At the price you mentioned I have to think everything by you is also priced from 20 years ago. Hell if that's the case, any Ferrari V-12s?

Just sayin...:cool:

captain scarlet and kiwijeff like this.
  28. scott51

scott51

You guys have google right? try searching COD scam and freight forwarding scam.

It's a variation of a fairly common scam. At some point you'll receive bogus correspondence posing from a shipping company, paypal, western union or similar asking you to pay something in order to release the car but you'll get the money back later (or something along those lines).

29. tmfcracing

tmfcracing
    from Sweden

Just reading the first post on this thread tells you its a fishy one.
    This dudes email is a "copy/paste mail. He sends it probably 5 times a day.
    He referring the 32 as "the car" all the time. A real seller would wright something like " The Coupe runs great but the hairpins needs new bushings . "
    This guy says "this is an incredible enjoyable car to drive"
    First he try to gain trust and the he sends you a mail telling you a sad story that he is on his mothers funeral and the shipping agency needs 2k on there account tomorrow to let the car leave the harbor but he is busy being sad so he ask you to pay the agency and he gives you a account number...........from Nigeria .

kiwijeff and lothiandon1940 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.