Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Getting paint off a motor without damaging the seals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Sep 12, 2015.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have a freshly resealed motor that I would like to get the paint off it without damaging the new gaskets,it has about 4 different colors and so far scraping it does the best but is taking too long. Anybody know of a paint remover that will not damage gaskets and seals.

2. Have you tried a heat gun, yet?

3. Waterborne remover?

4. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I forgot about a heat gun and will try it next,I was hoping I could just scuff and paint but when I blow it off it will go down to the bare casting in some areas so I need to get all of it off.

5. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I used a soy based paint thinner awhile back to remove some paint my son got on our couch and wood floors. It was like a gel, not to runny & actually worked real well. My Dad found it online somewhere. Let me know if you can't find it and I'll ask him the product name.

6. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

I used a harbor freight needle scaler. Pretty damn noisy but it worked damn good

7. Easy off oven cleaner will strip the paint,that's what I did with the engine I used in the Ranch Wagon. HRP

Paint Guru and Jim636 like this.
  8. I just degreased a Chevy 350 last week. I was down to the spotty paint and whipped out an electric drill and Harbor Fright wire wheel set. Right down to bare cast iron in no time. I did use Gunk and oven cleaner first.

9. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Put me in the oven cleaner camp too. Just stay away from the seals and you'll be good to go.

10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I should have gotten the paint off before I tore the motor apart to reseal,the thought of it might be easier to clean while it was togather came after it was apart.

11. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Heat gun helped a bit but thinking about a paint remover .

12. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Easyoff works on fiberglass but not sure about gaskets.

Attached Files:

13. hinklejd

hinklejd
    from Fort Worth

Citristrip works well to remove paint and is safe to use on soft rubber. It's also environmentally safe. You can find it in a rattle can at walmart.

14. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Just use paint remover. The kind that brushes on, so you have more control of it.

15. Paint Guru

Paint Guru
    from Bowdon, GA

Dollar general oven cleaner will soften all lacquer and 1k enamels. Works great and won't damage rubber gaskets. Don't do inside your shop, the odor is very strong.

16. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Aircraft paint stripper, found at most parts stores.

17. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Aircraft stripper barely done the job,it did loosen the paint enough that a wire brush got the rest off.

18. Paint Guru

Paint Guru
    from Bowdon, GA

Yea stripper doesn't do well if there is a lot of grease.

19. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

It would not work good on the paint,I do not know what kind of paint it is but its tough.

20. Jon SSS

Jon SSS

JASCO gel stripper works great for me. Found at most super stores (Fred Meyer, Walmart, etc.). Does not effect rubber.