Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical FENDERLESS IN SEATTLE

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by rlm2011, Aug 21, 2015.

1. rlm2011

rlm2011
    from Sumner Wa

I've recently moved to the beautiful Pacific Northwest. To be specific just north of Seattle in Edmonds Wa.
    I'm not totally clear on the fender laws in Washington state. I've heard about a fair weather fender law and I've read that they were mandatory.
    If I can get some response from fellow HAMBers it would be greatly appreciated!!

2. "Street rods and kit vehicles which are more than forty years old and are owned and operated primarily as a collector's item need not be equipped with fenders when the vehicle is used and driven during fair weather on well-maintained, hard-surfaced roads." WAC. 204.18.022.

So basically, no gravel roads and not when it's raining. Enforcement is pretty lax, but that doesn't mean they always ignore it, so think before you drive.

warbird1 likes this.
  3. rlm2011

rlm2011
    from Sumner Wa

Mr. Crazy Steve,
    Thanks for the clearing that up for me. I'll take a look at the regulation asap.

4. Maladjusted

Maladjusted

Here is the RCW............

RCW 46.37.500
    Fenders or splash aprons.
    (1) Except as authorized under subsection (2) of this section, no person may operate any motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer that is not equipped with fenders, covers, flaps, or splash aprons adequate for minimizing the spray or splash of water or mud from the roadway to the rear of the vehicle. All such devices shall be as wide as the tires behind which they are mounted and extend downward at least to the center of the axle.

(2) A motor vehicle that is not less than forty years old or a street rod vehicle that is owned and operated primarily as a collector's item need not be equipped with fenders when the vehicle is used and driven during fair weather on well-maintained, hard-surfaced roads.

5. I'll note that the fender exemption for street rods is a relatively new law (2008) so be aware that not all LEOs may know about it. The WSP keeps up on this stuff, city/county not so much. It wouldn't hurt to carry a copy of the law with you.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As long as you aren't driving down the highway at speed throwing up a 30 ft rooster tail or running down a gravel road throwing rocks everywhere you should be good.
    You could always rig a pair of mudflaps that you could attach easily in case you got caught out in a hard rain and that would keep most law enforcement guys off your back.

If it's the car in your Avatar it looks pretty presentable and well detailed so that alone keeps a lot of the law enforcement folks off your back. There is enough junky looking stuff in this state for them to snag that many will just say "sweet" and look for something that doesn't look right coming up behind you.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  7. got rust2

got rust2

I run without, don't do stupid stuff and they don't bother you. working wiper, if the car came with one is required in rain can be hand operated.

8. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

And kind of along the same lines, some of the local agencies are not up to speed on restored license plates (YOM in other states). Some of us have been stopped for them. We now carry a copy of that regulation with our registrations.

9. rlm2011

rlm2011
    from Sumner Wa

Hey thanks guys, I'll tone it down on the "stupid stuff", and keep a copy of the regulations with my registration!!

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most open wheel guys I know don't run that hard in the rain anyhow as it either throws water in the car or on the engine and causes more hours of clean up. Getting your windshield washed down by a 4x4 with big tires or a semi is one thing but washing your own windshield down because you were running faster than you might should have been under the conditions is on you. At least it isn't a T bucket where hitting a puddle on a curve can fill the interior with muddy water.