Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What brand torque wrench?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56sedandelivery, Sep 18, 2015.

1. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Well, Team Torque called this morning regarding my early 70's era craftsman Torque Wrench. It is officially un-repairable, due to parts no longer being available. I also bought an identical Craftsman, that was supposed to be "good', but it is't either, and is going back to the seller. So, I need a quality torque wrench, and would prefer something not made off shore, if there is such a thing these days. What do ya'll recommend? Cost is secondary, quality is number one. This has been like losing an old friend. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

2. onthefritz

onthefritz

I love my Snap-on, but they are expensive.

3. derpr

derpr

How about a proto wrench

4. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

5. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

I love my snap on as well.

6. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

7. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Snap On via eBay, then have the guy on the truck send it in for calibration.

8. paleot

paleot
    from louisiana

I have snap on in ¼ 3/8 &1/2 best I have ever used!

9. slowmotion

slowmotion

Snap-On if bucks aren't a consideration. I have an old green handle Craftsman beam, and (2) recent Craftsman clickers. No complaints, but I don't use them on a daily basis. Shops I deliver to (the good ones) all use Snap-On stuff.

whtbaron likes this.
  10. Just looking at my old Sturtevant beam wrench today, it was old when a neighbor gave it to me around 50 yrs ago, pretty good tool; no moving parts to break and I can calibrate it myself. I have a Snap-on "clicker" that I use primarily to torque wheels. I did use it for the last motor assembly; seemed kinda odd using it after using the beam for all those years.

11. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Sturtevant Richmont is one of the best torque wrenches available today!

29AVEE8 likes this.
  12. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

I have both Snap-On & Mac. Std click-type, not the electronic clicks. Ranging from 5 inch lbs, to 250 ft-lbs. Like them all, & have the calibration checked ~ twice a year. (Don't use them every day, but do keep them turned down almost all the way - 1 click up. ). They have held calibration for more than two years now. I'm happy. FWIW. Marcus...

13. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Or ever. They didn't invent the torque wrench, Walter P. Chrysler did. He licensed P.A. Sturtevent to manufacture and distribute them. Been making them ever since. In my opinion if you can afford one they should be first choice.

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Be careful with the late-style plastic handle Craftsman torque wrenches. While they seem good, and are accurate, they have only a 90-day warranty, not lifetime.

I found this out the hard way. I have two that need work, but aren't going to get it.

15. jazz1

jazz1

My only name brand torque wrench is Mastercraft. Works fine and my other 2 No Name brand torques have been bang on accurate for 40 years image.jpg

16. Deadbird

Deadbird

I like my Matco 1/2" drive. Got a Snap On 3/8" drive that I like too.

17. 1950_Buick

1950_Buick

I'm selling a Snap-On Torque wrench! :)

Snap On Torque Wrench, 1/2" Drive, Click Type 50 to 250 ft lb, QD3250
    ***Note*** Torque wrench is of a fixed head style without any ratcheting functions. It is believed by some that the use of this style torque wrench feels more stable

(if interested pm me and I'll send you pics and price)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  18. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Warren & Brown made in Aussie

19. R35J1S

R35J1S
    from Missouri

I calibrate tool and gages for a living. I have never had a snap-on torque wrench pass calibration without having to adjust it. We calibrate them once a year and they never pass. My personal gear wrench brand passes every time. CDI also makes a decent one. The older craftsman were good. Don't know about the new ones.
    I just know I will never own a snap-on torque wrench.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

20. Kyle(666)

Kyle(666)

I'm partial to the Proto dial type. Very accurate, though not as tolerant to abuse as a click type wrench and a lot of folks prefer the tactile click.

21. swifty

swifty

I'll second the Warren & Brown torque wrenches. I worked for a large pump company for 43 years and they only used Warren & Brown. I love the deflecting beam type which give 2 indicators that you have reached the required torque. Still made in Australia and although they are not cheap with our dollars only worth 70cents US you'd get a 30% discount.

22. I've had great luck with Proto. Pretty much all you'll find on industrial jobs or in many aircraft techs toolboxes. A lot get bought for specific contracts, once the contract is done these go on the used market (even if unused) where you can get them for .10 or less on the dollar. Lots on eBay for very reasonable prices.

23. morac41

morac41

Hi...... Australian Warren & Brown deflecting beam with trip trigger a 1/2 " and 3/8" for Auto trans mission bands Had mine for 60 years never let me down

24. aaggie

aaggie

One feature I like on the new electronic torque wrenches is the angle function. All of the newer engines use "torque to yield" bolts that require you to tighten to a certain torque then turn another so many degrees. When you reach say 100# plus 70 degrees it clicks and beeps. My old clickers needed an adapter degree wheel that you have to be able to get a straight on look at to be anywhere near accurate.
    I like the feel of Matco but can't talk myself into spending that much.

25. derpr

derpr

Snap on changes models every few years. I had a 3/4 drive where parts were discontinued. It's been proto since. They are sold in most supply hardware stores.

26. gatz

gatz

For some years, I was collecting Torque Wrenches of different brands and designs.
    Was going to make a traveling display to showcase them, but kinda lost interest.
    Also had 3 testers that I've since sold. Sweeny and Williams.
    IIRC, Sweeny was the brand that the Army used to check torque wrenches. The ones I remember had a dead-weight system, so as long as the bench was level, there wasn't any calibration to the tester.

One of the more interesting designs was a Williams "Measurrench" S58-A

Williams S-58A_1.JPG
    Williams S-58A_7.JPG
    When the wrench was in use, the main beam deflected much like a beam-style. There was a red indicator underneath the top fixed bar which was pivot-mounted to the fixed bar and "anchored" to the handle or moving part of the main beam. As the torque increased, the fixed bar would uncover more of the red indicator thus showing the amount of torque.
    Pic shows ~ 40 lbft. The accuracy is a bit questionable. I don't see a way to adjust it if it were off.

Another brand that had an interesting design was Sunnen; which used an adjustable barrel with a spring inside and an over-center snap feature that clicked when the preset torque was reached.

Sunnen PN-50_5.JPG

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  27. sunbeam

sunbeam

If its the ratchet part that's bad pull the parts out of a 1/2 ratchet wrench. I did that when Sears said we don't warranty a torque wrench anymore so I swapped the guts and they replaced the 1/2" ratchet.

28. gatz

gatz

Another design that's a bit different.

This is an APCO Mossberg twin beam torque wrench.

APCO Mossberg_3.JPG

The upper beam is fixed to the handle, the lower beam is able to slide in/out of the handle and moves a small pinion gear that moves the needle. The movable bezel on the dial can be used as a preset, similar to a plunger-type dial indicator.
    Pat # 2196223

APCO Mossberg_1.JPG

Simple design, but there doesn't appear to be a way to adjust it if it were off; accuracy depending solely on the integrity of the heat-treated beams or rods.

29. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

Now you have wondering about my Snap-On TQ wrenches. My 1/4 in/lb and 1/2 one way have been very `reliable and go in for calibration about once a yr/ or yr and 1/2. The 3/8 has really been kind of a piece of crap. I started using it at the races because I only wanted to bring one. I Started having problems after i started tqing wheels with it. The Snap On guy says it shouldn't be a problem. But that 3/8 100ft.max has been in to Snap On 5 times for repairs and never has worked well sense.
    I just might get rid of all of them and buy 3 more of another brand like Sturtevant Richmont. The price for Clicker and Dial TQ wrenches is pretty reasonable.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015